cpx2 gun/company experience thusfar

User Reviews of Shooting Products and Accessories. New holster, mag, gun lubricant, etc... tell us about it!
End User reviews only.

Re: cpx2 gun/company experience thusfar

Postby jax gunslinger » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:12 pm

Something else you might want to consider is a mis-sized barrel. If the barrel is slightly too large the shell casing could expand (bulge) and cause it to hang up in the barrel. The extractor could pass over the shell head and possibly damage the extractor. I would inspect the spent brass looking for any bulging shells or excessive extractor gouging. The early "A" model Taurus TCP's were known for this kind of problem. good luck :roll:
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson ***PERMANENTLY BANNED MEMBER OF THE HPFF**
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby ChrisTX » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:52 pm

I had a major problem with light strikes. I called Sccy CS and the reps promptly sent out a firing pin and spring. I started talking to Jason about it and found out that my firing pin chamber was out of spec. I sent it in, he reamed it out, problem solved. The CS reps can only take you so far. I'm not saying you don't know what you are doing. I'm saying if you are having this many issues, send it to them and let them go through it. Calling and getting angry with the reps after demanding parts is not going to win you any friends. They don't have to send you parts; that's just a courtesy.
ChrisTX
Veteran Member

Postby Man Scout Cookies » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:10 pm

jax gunslinger wrote:Something else you might want to consider is a mis-sized barrel. If the barrel is slightly too large the shell casing could expand (bulge) and cause it to hang up in the barrel. The extractor could pass over the shell head and possibly damage the extractor. I would inspect the spent brass looking for any bulging shells or excessive extractor gouging. The early "A" model Taurus TCP's were known for this kind of problem. good luck :roll:

I found that the casings just fall out of the chamber when I had the jam I just tipped the gun up and they fell out hoping this is a sign of proper fire forming and not a sign of a mis- sized barrel. I think I damaged the ejector the few times I just dropped the slide on rounds or empty casings to remove them I know you aren't supposed to do this but it happened a few times. I will keep that in consideration while going about fixing this I've looked at the spent casings and nothing really looks out of the ordinary. Thanks for your input.

ChrisTX wrote: Calling and getting angry with the reps after demanding parts is not going to win you any friends. They don't have to send you parts; that's just a courtesy.

I treated the reps with respect even when I was upset with them I save the sarcasm and cussing for this review on this thread it is my choice if I want to be angry with them after the fact and I believe their errors merit me being angry with them; my opinion. You need to cool your jets, also my opinion. I have seen you get very defensive of this company on another thread it wont make you any friends( what do you work for them?). And yes they do have to send me parts it is a courtesy and it is their guarantee.

Thank you for your opinion on sending my firearm in for repair it may come to that if a new extractor does not solve the problem. Like you said a CS rep can only take you so far this is true I don't mean to be offensive in any response it is just the way it comes out sometimes thanks for taking the time to comment chris.
Man Scout Cookies
Forum Regular

Postby jax gunslinger » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:33 pm

If you end up sending it in. I would send it with a very detailed letter describing everything you've done to it. This might prevent any future confusion. Maybe you could also ask the tech to give you a call after he looks it over, and posibly run more than one mag of ammo through it just to be sure.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson ***PERMANENTLY BANNED MEMBER OF THE HPFF**
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby Man Scout Cookies » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:51 pm

jax gunslinger wrote:If you end up sending it in. I would send it with a very detailed letter describing everything you've done to it. This might prevent any future confusion. Maybe you could also ask the tech to give you a call after he looks it over, and posibly run more than one mag of ammo through it just to be sure.

Will do if it comes to that thanks.
thought I'd put a picture of my sccy I've done some things to make it unique and less slippery I've put about 800 rounds through it and in its current state it will shoot and feed but an fte is inevitable the issue is probably because I put blue paint in the sccy engraving angering the sccy gods.
Man Scout Cookies
Forum Regular

Postby getvicious » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:03 pm

When I had my original CPX-1 it broke a couple Ejectors. Even without the Ejector the Case ejected fine - just in random directions.

Every time I had an issue with Fail To Extract the Case from the Chamber the culprit was the Recoil Rod. It would get chewed up and would cause the Slide to not move freely or at the proper rate. Replacing the Recoil Rod Assy corrected the issue every time. I also cracked 3 Slides due to chewed Recoil Rods (I believe) since every time the Recoil Rod was bad.

SCCY was always there to help out. That's how I found out Gen 2 Slides fit just fine on the original CPX-1 (I had 2 on mine).

Look at your Recoil rod to be sure it's not bad. The Rod needs to be smooth and even along it's entire length. And lubed.

I recommend you do 2 things. First, send the Pistol in to SCCY so Jason can look at it, as ChrisTX mentioned. At some point there is a diminishing return, when working on the Pistol yourself and things don't go well (for any number of reasons), that is overcome by sending the Pistol to SCCY for repair. The 2nd is connected to your attitude and opinion of the Pistol. If you just can't get to the point where you like your SCCY, sell it. If you don't like a gun you will not trust it. If you don't trust your gun it's worthless to you.

Good luck - having been in a similar place I know how frustrated you are.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby ChrisTX » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:26 pm

Man Scout Cookies wrote:I have seen you get very defensive of this company on another thread it wont make you any friends( what do you work for them?). And yes they do have to send me parts it is a courtesy and it is their guarantee.

Search a few more of my posts. I think you'll find quite a few criticisms against Sccy. The Sccy is my first foray into cheap guns, and only because my wife wanted one. Until I purchased a Sccy, I've never had to contact a manufacturer for any sort of repair. It's a $250 gun; I didn't expect it to be anywhere close to higher end manufacturers, and it's not. It's been back to Sccy twice. In that time, I've had a few opportunities to speak to a few of their employees, and suffice it to say, they actually do want you to be happy. Jason contacted me out of the blue one day to discuss a modification that he thought I might like to try, because I'd previously expressed one of my dislikes. Who else does that? I have torn this gun down completely so many times, but it's not the same as working on them for a living. I respect their knowledge and experience over my shade tree tinkering.

Because of what I've been through, you need to send it to them. I know when Jason gets a gun, he will not only fix the part that needs fixing, but he'll also go through the rest of the gun and make any other necessary repairs and/or improvements that you may not have seen or known about.

The Sccy we have had some initial issues, but I am pretty confident in it now, for still being the cheap gun that it is.
ChrisTX
Veteran Member

Postby Man Scout Cookies » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:35 pm

getvicious wrote:When I had my original CPX-1 it broke a couple Ejectors. Even without the Ejector the Case ejected fine - just in random directions.

Every time I had an issue with Fail To Extract the Case from the Chamber the culprit was the Recoil Rod. It would get chewed up and would cause the Slide to not move freely or at the proper rate. Replacing the Recoil Rod Assy corrected the issue every time. I also cracked 3 Slides due to chewed Recoil Rods (I believe) since every time the Recoil Rod was bad.

SCCY was always there to help out. That's how I found out Gen 2 Slides fit just fine on the original CPX-1 (I had 2 on mine).

Look at your Recoil rod to be sure it's not bad. The Rod needs to be smooth and even along it's entire length. And lubed.

I recommend you do 2 things. First, send the Pistol in to SCCY so Jason can look at it, as ChrisTX mentioned. At some point there is a diminishing return, when working on the Pistol yourself and things don't go well (for any number of reasons), that is overcome by sending the Pistol to SCCY for repair. The 2nd is connected to your attitude and opinion of the Pistol. If you just can't get to the point where you like your SCCY, sell it. If you don't like a gun you will not trust it. If you don't trust your gun it's worthless to you.

Good luck - having been in a similar place I know how frustrated you are.

Thanks for your input man I have noticed that the base of my recoil rod is getting roughed up not sure if that is really the problem but I have read about recoil rod issues I will keep it in mind.
Like you said my attitude towards the gun is directly correlated to the satisfaction I get I am just prissy when it comes to this gun from the trouble its giving me but I really like this thing it is the first 9mm I've ever owned and when it is working it is really working pretty well and I shoot very nice groups and hit anything I feel like plinking at. I'm gonna keep working at it because to be honest I've grown attached to its look and simple design once I added skate tape it fit so well in my hands. I could actually get my cpx2 replaced because I bought it through davisons gallery of guns but I am a stupid stubborn person and I have to live with myself.

Heres a couple images of my recoil rod base if you would take a look at them and tell me if they are similar or not to what you have seen causing problems in your gun it would be greatly appreciated.
http://i.imgur.com/87QTe3X.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pp2hwPg.jpg
Man Scout Cookies
Forum Regular

Postby Man Scout Cookies » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:54 pm

ChrisTX wrote:
Man Scout Cookies wrote:I have seen you get very defensive of this company on another thread it wont make you any friends( what do you work for them?). And yes they do have to send me parts it is a courtesy and it is their guarantee.

Search a few more of my posts. I think you'll find quite a few criticisms against Sccy. The Sccy is my first foray into cheap guns, and only because my wife wanted one. Until I purchased a Sccy, I've never had to contact a manufacturer for any sort of repair. It's a $250 gun; I didn't expect it to be anywhere close to higher end manufacturers, and it's not. It's been back to Sccy twice. In that time, I've had a few opportunities to speak to a few of their employees, and suffice it to say, they actually do want you to be happy. Jason contacted me out of the blue one day to discuss a modification that he thought I might like to try, because I'd previously expressed one of my dislikes. Who else does that? I have torn this gun down completely so many times, but it's not the same as working on them for a living. I respect their knowledge and experience over my shade tree tinkering.

Because of what I've been through, you need to send it to them. I know when Jason gets a gun, he will not only fix the part that needs fixing, but he'll also go through the rest of the gun and make any other necessary repairs and/or improvements that you may not have seen or known about.

The Sccy we have had some initial issues, but I am pretty confident in it now, for still being the cheap gun that it is.

Thanks for the input once again man it is very informative. You have had a difference experience than I have had. If the circumstances were different I may be having the same experience I'm just trying to fix this gun in a way that will not leave me without a gun(it is the only gun I can leave in my cars console and have it be ready quickly- law abiding Illinoian here). I also don't believe myself to be some kind of gun veteran just a hobbyist. I also respect the knowledge of their techs but I'm not so sure about their CS anymore I don't think them losing my information and not sending the firing pin to me more than once and inattention to detail (one in the same) was very professional that is the way I see it.

I'm not gonna search through your posts I'm sure you've made meaningful posts as long as you have been on this forum. Also I recognize when I have offended someone, I apologize if I have been standoffish to you but when I feel that someone has taken time out of their day to say something to me I oblige them and try to make my opinion (counter or otherwise) clear. You have seriously answered my thread and added meaningful advice and opinion and here I am instigating you. Once again I apologize if I am standoffish there really is no other explanation other than I saw something you wrote I didn't like it and responded you've shared valuable information with me in this thread and I appreciate it man. Your words and the words of others have not fallen on deaf ears I will seriously consider sending it in here but since I've got the part on the way I'm gonna try a few more things first I just finished my senior project I've got time now.
Man Scout Cookies
Forum Regular

Postby ChrisTX » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:45 pm

No apologies needed. It's frustrating forking out hard earned money for something that doesn't work properly. Build a relationship with them and they'll take care of you though. Trust me.
ChrisTX
Veteran Member

Postby jax gunslinger » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:21 am

If you end up swapping out the recoil rod assy. Consider Kel-tecs double spring with plastic rod system. It pops right in the CPX and you'll never have another issue with it. KT will sell you one for like $5 shipped. I think some of the members here are running them in their Sccys as well.
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby Man Scout Cookies » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:46 pm

So an update to the sccy endeavor. I went to test fire the sccy with the new extractor in place on a snowy day. It shot fine for a magazines worth and then started to mysteriously failure to eject then I had a casing just get stuck in the slide brass was ejecting funny that much I could hear I was miffed and it was snowing so I went home and cleaned out all the guns I took out. Now this morning I took another look at my pistol and I didn't notice on the range that the really important bit of the ejector is missing. Once again. Goooooood.

Oh well at least I have a spare ejector lying around now I just have to wait until the next time I shoot to see what else is wrong with this gun.

I'm straying away from the recoil rod being the issue for the time being because I spoke with a tech last time I called sccy who told me on my generation of cpx the recoil rods have been redesigned and should pose no problem.
Man Scout Cookies
Forum Regular

Postby trentu » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:30 am

SCCY does very well with repairs. The reason I dropped Kel Tec is because of poor customer service. If I had a bad barrel from SCCY they would send me a new one. Kel Tec won't do that. Plus SCCY covers the gun. Not the first time buyer. They will make it right with you and in the end you will have a nice gun. I now have 3 in my house and they are all working great after minor adjustments. :D
trentu
Forum Regular

Postby jax gunslinger » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:58 pm

trentu wrote: The reason I dropped Kel Tec is because of poor customer service. If I had a bad barrel from SCCY they would send me a new one. Kel Tec won't do that. Plus SCCY covers the gun. Not the first time buyer. They will make it right with you and in the end you will have a nice gun. :D

:bs: If your going to slam another gun company at least provide all the facts. If they provided you with poor service explain what they did or didn't do that you were unsatisfied with. Not sending you out a new barrel is not poor customer service. A new P11 parkerized barrel runs $105. http://www.keltecweapons.com/p-11/p-11- ... arkerized/ It makes sense to me that a gun with a barrel issue would need to be sent in for inspection/service to ensure the owners safety. Did you go to any of the KT forums and explain your problems to the folks there? There are a bunch of guys over there with lots of experiece with your particular gun, that may have been able to help you out. You are correct that Kel-tec's warranty clearly states it only covers the original owner. But I can tell you from previous experience that KT has sent me lots of parts over the years, most of which were free, or at very little cost and shipping was free. A simple phone call, and I had what ever I needed in a week or less. I've only shipped one KT back to the factory for warranty work. It did take a while to get it back, but ran perfect after that.
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby Man Scout Cookies » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:26 am

Went shooting yesterday, joined a gun club so I can actually get out to shoot more often, sccy ran better but it still randomly FTEs I looked at the brass that failed to eject and it was a bit ovalish fire form. Not sure what that means it could mean the barrel is not bored out to specification.
Man Scout Cookies
Forum Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Product User Reviews