New SCCY CPX-2 Stainless Problems

User Reviews of Shooting Products and Accessories. New holster, mag, gun lubricant, etc... tell us about it!
End User reviews only.

New SCCY CPX-2 Stainless Problems

Postby badcrc » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:55 pm

I haven't shot my CPX-2 yet, but I'm already having issues and I'm hoping someone can alleviate my worries, because right now I'm pretty disgusted with this purchase.

1) The first problem I have is when the slide is locked back it's impossible to use the slide release lever. I push down on the lever with all the strength of my finger and I can't move it until I pull the slide back with my left hand and push the release down with my thumb. Is this normal operation? On most other semi autos I've used you just hit the slide release with your thumb and it snaps forward without having to pull it back.

2) I have some 9mm Luger reloads using Hornady hollow point bullets that I've shot over 150 rounds of in my XD9 without a single issue. These are the only 9mm rounds I have at the moment, so I tried them in my CPX-2 and the first round loaded fine from the mag, when I pulled the slide back it ejected normally then the second round jammed and I had to repeatedly pull the slide back to get it to chamber. I inspected those two rounds and the brass around the rim was damaged (scratched in a couple spots and a couple deep gouges) on both the one that chambered normally and the one that jammed. I know from the manual and the reviews that +P ammo shouldn't be used, but these are standard hollow points with an average powder load for 9mm that have worked in several 9mm guns I've shot. Am I stuck only using store bought ammo?

3) When I was playing with the gun when I first got it I had no problems with the magazine, now after cycling some live rounds (no shooting yet), the magazine doesn't seem to lock into place easily. If I push it in normally it feels like it's locked into position but if I pull on the mag real hard it comes out. I have to push extremely hard on the mag to get the mag release button to click and lock.

Should I send this thing into SCCY for waranty repair or is there a simple fix someone can see from my description? Any help would be appreciated.
badcrc

Re: New SCCY CPX-2 Stainless Problems

Postby HootmonSccy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:50 am

Wow.. You have a lot going on there...

First of all, Welcome...

You should be able to release the slide lock... Have you tried it with both magazines??
The manual is outdated.. Limited +P bullets are allowed, but shouldn't matter since you are not firing them...
There have been some issues with the Mag springs being inserted backwards (front to back, not upside down).. Do a search on this, it may effect both of the above symptoms..

Many SCCY's have a stiff mag insertion... (you have to smack it to fully seat.. This is usually due to the floor plate on the Magazine.. Some have sanded the plastic a little to ease this symptom.

Sorry you are having issues, but take a deep breath...

Call SCCY, let them know you just purchased your gun and are having issues out of the box. Ask to speak to Jason (If he is available).
SCCY for the vast majority has excellent customer service. It's unfortunate that you are having issues, but one way or the other, it will get taken care of...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby badcrc » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:26 pm

Thanks for the info Hootmon. One thing I just noticed looking at CPX-2 pics online is my slide release doesn't have a lever sticking out like the CPX-1 safety type lever. My slide release is just a flat metal piece bent at 90 degrees below the slide, similar to the Sig m11-a1 9mm slide release. Is this a different style or does mine have something missing? I'll check into the mag issue and call SCCY.
badcrc

Postby HAMBONE » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:04 pm

I have the same generation of CPX as you as you if yours is new and it is not a slide release it is a slide lock it is not meant to release a slide however after you fire so many rounds through it will loosen up and you can use it for that just fine after 130 rounds to my gun it started working a lot easier for me like that so I use it that way to chamber the first roundalso make sure you're not riding the slide after you rack you need the full potential of the spring to load bullets into the tube especially for hollow points
HAMBONE
Veteran Member

Postby wknight40 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:32 pm

Some of those issues will go away as it gets used. Stiff springs in the mag can make it harder to insert properly when fully loaded. How do they do when empty? Are these the flat bases or the finger extension bases that are giving you the problem. If it is the flats try the finger extension, call SCCY and let them know you need new flat plates. They'll send them. As for the other problems call and discuss with SCCY to be sure of a solution.
wknight40
Veteran Member

Postby HootmonSccy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:45 pm

You have the new style slide lock.. it makes a slimmer profile...
They still have the older lock with the plastic cover... You can ask SCCY to send you the replacement part, or send the gun in and they will replace it for free. The old style gives you a larger surface to push against..
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby badcrc » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:15 pm

So this is the new style? It's literally impossible to release the slide with this setup for me, unless I do what I said before, and pull the slide back with my left hand while pushing it down with my right hand thumb.
Attachments
2013-10-23_16-02-34_809.jpg
CPX-2 slide release lever
badcrc

Postby HAMBONE » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:18 pm

Yes that's the one I have. Impossible at first after 130 rds works nice. Mags seat good now too even after that small amount of rounds. It's a great gun go shoot it you'll love it! You'll want to break it in with fmj I think though 115 grain they say
HAMBONE
Veteran Member

Postby ChrisTX » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:32 am

badcrc wrote:So this is the new style? It's literally impossible to release the slide with this setup for me, unless I do what I said before, and pull the slide back with my left hand while pushing it down with my right hand thumb.

That's because it's not a slide release. It's a slide lock. Use the serrations on the slide to release it. You shouldn't have to push it down to release the slide unless you're trying to do it with an empty magazine inserted, in which case, drop the mag first.
ChrisTX
Veteran Member

Postby ChrisTX » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:53 pm

parkerd wrote:The manual included with the SCCY (published during the 2nd world war) says to use the slide release. Do you dare to disobey the edicts contained the manual? LOL
Is not a sad company or what?

They actually call it a slide lock lever, but no reason to be that picky. I will give them credit for trying to meet customer demands, but they dropped the ball on marketing. They just redid their website and failed to even put a picture, or even mention the new slide lock, on it. For all intents and purposes, the manual is still relevant.

A sad company would be one who releases an overpriced Croatian gun with a deadly flaw, does a recall, and then sits on them trying to come up with a solution.
ChrisTX
Veteran Member

Postby wknight40 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:45 am

parkerd wrote:The manual included with the SCCY (published during the 2nd world war) says to use the slide release. Do you dare to disobey the edicts contained the manual? LOL
Is not a sad company or what?

Have not seen a "positive" from you on the SCCY in a long time. Do you really hate this gun that much? Found a few post's from you on another board, don't remember which one, you could not say enough good things about the SCCY. Granted this was back in February. I was searching for AR info at the time and for some reason the search picked out a post that had mainly SCCY info. Admitedly you and I have some great differences in opinion but there has been a few things that I have agreed with you on. But you sure seem to love to beat a :bdh: . You had made the comment here a couple times along the lines of "Why do SCCY lovers like their SCCY's with so many problems My response "Why do people that seem to dislike the SCCY so much become a member of a board dedicated to the SCCY?

I agree that this pistol does have it's problems and that SCCY also makes every attempt within their power to fix the problems.
wknight40
Veteran Member

Postby wknight40 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:23 am

I can't disagree with what you said above. Your post's just seem "too negative". Maybe "too direct" might be a better statement.

I do agree wholeheartedly that it should not take much to get the online manual updated with the info about a gun that has been out for what, almost 2 years now.

Entry point gun I think is key. If they could do better quality control they probably would then have to charge more for it.

Again I do agree with most of what you say, it would just be nice if they did not seem so negative for us new owners.

It is nice seeing that you do still like your SCCY though.

Take care and hope we can continue to have more friendly discussions and ribbing. :kickback: :kickback: :kickback:
wknight40
Veteran Member

Postby jax gunslinger » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:05 pm

wknight40 wrote:
parkerd wrote:Why do people that seem to dislike the SCCY so much become a member of a board dedicated to the SCCY?

Why not? I think we are all gun lovers here, most of us with multiple guns and tons of experience to draw from. Some of us bought new Sccy's and were happy initially, but after a while may have questioned our decision. I find postings from disgruntled members like "parkered" to be much more informative, that a bunch of other members with less hands on experience blowing smoke up each others asses. I guaranty that Sccy Industries learns more from negative customer feed back that from a rookie gun owner buying his first firearm.
A member with 1 post or 500 posts should not be called out for sharing their honest opinion about this product. That's why we are all here to share information and experiences to help each other out.
Mr. parkered, I appreciate you taking time to write such an in depth post. I could not agree with you more. I only wish the executives at Sccy would take action to clear up the problems you've out lined.
Last edited by jax gunslinger on Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson ***PERMANENTLY BANNED MEMBER OF THE HPFF**
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby wknight40 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:18 pm

@jax gunslinger, I have no problems with negative comments. When I made that comment it was in response to his comment about something along the lines of how can somebody like something that is always broke. Not a quote just something along those lines. At the time it just seemed like "parkered" had nothing good to say about the SCCY. I believe "parkered" and I are good. I now understand his point of view. What he post's, "parkered", about the SCCY is true for the most part. Just always seemed a little too negative. Again I understand him more and welcome his insight. In fact in another thread I backed up a commnet he made. :kickback: :kickback: :kickback:
wknight40
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:34 pm

All this back and forth aside, badcrc, have you been able to fire your CPX yet?

Have you found any factory FMJ rounds to use?

SCCY recommends against using reloads ("The use of reloaded or military surplus ammunition can cause jamming problems and possible serious injury to shooter and bystanders." - page 13 of the manual). Get some factory FMJ and JHP ammo and see how that works before going back to your reloads. Not every gun will function correctly with every type / brand of ammo.

Good luck and I hope it works well for you once you get to fire it.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Next

Return to Product User Reviews