Alien Gear holsters

User Reviews of Shooting Products and Accessories. New holster, mag, gun lubricant, etc... tell us about it!
End User reviews only.

Alien Gear holsters

Postby 9_guy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:26 pm

Does anyone use one to carry aiwb? I'm intrigued by the removeable shells. I'm curious if the width or the height make things uncomfortable carrying this way.
CPX-2 ser # 093xxx
9_guy
Forum Regular

Re: Alien Gear holsters

Postby DoulosXristou » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:18 am

I ordered one of these the other day. I figured for under $40 shipped, it was worth checking out. Most of the YouTube reviews were very positive. I'll let you know when it arrives. I plan on trying different carry positions to see what works best for me, including aiwb.
~Chris
"when talking defensive tools/weapons...pretty is as pretty does." ~ Sccy-Captain

Sccy CPX-2TT 092XXX
CZ 75D PCR Compact w/ Factory TruDot Night Sights B4411XX
DoulosXristou
Forum Regular

Postby 9_guy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:43 am

Thanks man.
CPX-2 ser # 093xxx
9_guy
Forum Regular

Postby 9_guy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:09 am

Bump
CPX-2 ser # 093xxx
9_guy
Forum Regular

Postby Sccy-Captain » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:21 pm

I only hear good things about the holsters, dont think it is designed around appendix carry. looks like it has more of an "FBI cant", it does feature removable "shells", so i would guess you could relocate the holes to accommodate appendix carry. I almost bought one for my XDM but it fits pretty good in my USP holster from comp-tac.
No such thing as knock down power,
only knock down accuracy
Sccy-Captain
Veteran Member

Postby DoulosXristou » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:01 pm

If mine's not here by tomorrow, I'll send Allen the Alien an email. There may have been a hold up somewhere along the way. I'll be sure to post my impression once I get some time with it.
~Chris
"when talking defensive tools/weapons...pretty is as pretty does." ~ Sccy-Captain

Sccy CPX-2TT 092XXX
DoulosXristou
Forum Regular

Postby SebagoSalmonSlayer » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:59 pm

DoulosXristou wrote:If mine's not here by tomorrow, I'll send Allen the Alien an email. There may have been a hold up somewhere along the way. I'll be sure to post my impression once I get some time with it.

Any update? Id like to see pictures if you have it.
Springfield XD45 w/Thumb Safety
SebagoSalmonSlayer

Postby DoulosXristou » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:27 am

Sorry for the late update, work's been eating all my time lately. I got an email back the same day (Jan 30) from Angela saying that instead of their usual 1-2 week wait time, they're experiencing a 3-4 week wait time due to holiday orders. I expect to receive mine next week sometime.
~Chris

Sccy CPX-2TT 092XXX
DoulosXristou
Forum Regular

Postby SebagoSalmonSlayer » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:25 pm

DoulosXristou wrote:Sorry for the late update, work's been eating all my time lately. I got an email back the same day (Jan 30) from Angela saying that instead of their usual 1-2 week wait time, they're experiencing a 3-4 week wait time due to holiday orders. I expect to receive mine next week sometime.

Awesome. I see they only offer a holster for the CPX-1. I know they are the same except the safety. Is that what you ordered?
Springfield XD45 w/Thumb Safety
SebagoSalmonSlayer

Postby DoulosXristou » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:06 pm

SebagoSalmonSlayer wrote:Awesome. I see they only offer a holster for the CPX-1. I know they are the same except the safety. Is that what you ordered?

Yes. CPX-1 and -2 are the same except for the external safety, as you mentioned. Because the safety is at the rear of the frame, the kydex doesn't reach there. The only contact the holster would have is on the leather backing and so it should be a non-issue.
Still waiting, though.... Should be in this week.
~Chris

Sccy CPX-2TT 092XXX
DoulosXristou
Forum Regular

Postby DoulosXristou » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:23 pm

The Alien has landed. I repeat: The Alien has landed.

The holster arrived today. I'll be able to give a better review of it after some time with it.
The leather and Kydex both appear to be of excellent quality, as does the hardware. All the hardware. They send plenty of extra hardware, screws, spacers, etc for customizing your fit. In the brief time I've had it on, the leather feels comfortable enough against my skin that I don't think I'll need to wear a shirt under the holster. YMMV. Retention is good and adjustable using the included hardware. The included product card mentions the default cant at 20* (FBI) and that can also be changed.

As far as your original question of:
9_guy wrote:Does anyone use one to carry aiwb? I'm intrigued by the removeable shells. I'm curious if the width or the height make things uncomfortable carrying this way.

Per the included card, the best position is about 4:30. I think the width of the kydex shell would make appendix carry uncomfortable with this holster. Also, the spacing of the clips prevents a slim guy like myself (140# 5'11") from wearing in true appendix carry without having one clip directly on my belt buckle. a 2-2:30 carry is just possible, but uncomfortable for me. You may have a different experience.

First impression. I like it. Especially at $36.83 shipped.
Link: Alien Gear Holsters - SCCY CPX-1 IWB Holster
~Chris

Sccy CPX-2TT 092XXX
DoulosXristou
Forum Regular

Postby 9_guy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:58 pm

That's about what I was thinking. Thanks for the info. Too bad it won't work for me, hope it works for you. I believe it will.
CPX-2 ser # 093xxx
9_guy
Forum Regular

Postby Merf » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:05 pm

sorry to bring this back.. but any pics?
Merf

Postby wildsailor » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:44 pm

Merf wrote:sorry to bring this back.. but any pics?

There are quite a few pics and videos on the company website. I am intrigued, but I already have a clip on holster that goes in the waistband at the 5 o'clock position and I am not sure I like that setup. I use a 'sticky' ACE pocket holster now and use that in my waistband on occasion; this seems to work just fine but I still don't like the 5 o'clock position any better.

Pocket carry (up front) is useless while sitting in the car and so is the 5 o'clock IWB position because the seatbelt blocks access. The back pockets are out as well. Having a front cargo pocket on your pants may be the best location but that looks wacky in the office. Appendix carry is out too when seated.

I am not sure what the 'best' is for all around use, maybe a shoulder holster but for that you need a jacket all the time. An OWB holster at the pivot point of your hip is good for all situations except the seatbelt crosses right over it and it is difficult to conceal.

So for now I stuff my pocket holster IWB and remove it when I get in the car; I cannot do that with this type of clip on IWB holster. If I were standing all day long it would be different. I am just not too hot on the 5 o'clock position is all.
regards,
Dan
SE Michigan
Ruger SR22P
SCCY CPX-2-B
SCCY CPX-1-TT
Sig P238 380 mini
wildsailor
Forum Regular

Postby WEdwards » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:21 pm

I just saw this post. Here is a few pictures I took of my Alien Gear holster:

http://wingincamera.zenfolio.com/aliengear-holster
Wilburn (Will) Edwards
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
http://wingincamera.zenfolio.com/
WEdwards
Forum Regular

Next

Return to Product User Reviews