A few Sccy holster options with reviews

User Reviews of Shooting Products and Accessories. New holster, mag, gun lubricant, etc... tell us about it!
End User reviews only.

Postby Stratojaxter » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:59 pm

I posted this in the review thread, but decided to post it here as well in case anyone wanted to discuss these.

Here are the holsters I have so far for the SCCY. I've graded them on Accessibility, Concealability, Safety/Retention, Comfort, and Cost

Ace Case, Tuckable http://acecase.com/tuck-able-holster-leather-various-sizes.html
Accessibility: (B) - My SCCY's grip, sits right at the waistband so it's just a matter of lifting the shirt and drawing. Sights have occasionally gotten caught though, but a second pull will generally take care of it.
Concealability:(A) - The leather is thin enough that I can wear this with just about anything.
Safety/Retention: (B-) - Trigger is covered well but the leather is thin. It doesn't offer great retention, but with your belt holding it as well, it shouldn't be a problem. taking off, or pulling down your pants can be an issue if your not careful.
Comfort: (C) - It doesn't pad your body at all, so you feel the gun on your side. The cant is easily adjusted though since it has only one belt clip.
Cost: (A+) As low as $11 if you buy 3 holsters (mix and match)
Overall: (B+) Good basic holster, does what I need it to do. I probably wear this one the most.

Ace Case, Gripper, Pocket holster http://acecase.com/gripper-pocket-holsters-various-sizes.html
Accessibility: (D) - It's in a pocket. It's like digging for change trying to draw it.
Concealability:(C) - Is that a gun in your pocket or...? I ain't that happy to see ya. It's good for cargo shorts, or maybe if you wear really baggy jeans, but that's about it.
Safety/Retention: (A-) It covers the trigger and is thick enough to keep it safe, and retention is decent. It's not really going anywhere in a pocket.
Comfort: (A) - Incredibly comfortable
Overall: (C) Good choice for simple summertime carry only. Drop it the cargo shorts pocket, and off you go. It's not real easy to get to, but better than leaving it home.

Ace Case, Fit-All Belt/ITP Holster http://acecase.com/fit-all-belt-itp-holster-various-sizes-ambidextrous.html
Accessibility: (A) - Whether you wear it IWB or OWB it's easy to get to it.
Concealability:(B) - I wear it between the belt and my pants. Easily concealed with long enough t-shirt or button down. I tend to wear a lot of Hawaiian or camp shirts. Almost as good as just sliding the gun into your belt, but safer. It's not tuckable though.
Safety/Retention: (B-) Fit's nice and snug, and covers the trigger with fairly thick leather. However, with so much of the barrel exposed though, I could see it pushing up if you sat just right.
Comfort: (B-) - OWB is fairly comfortable, IWB- not so much, as there's next to nothing between you and the gun.
Overall: (B) Simple holster for everyday CC, as long as you don't need to tuck.

FoxX Hybrid http://foxxholsters.onlybusiness.com/OnlineCatalog/Hybrids_for_SCCY-details.aspx
Accessibility: (A+) - Adjustable cant and ride make this very accessible.
Concealability: (B) - I find that I can conceal fairly well tucked or untucked. The only thing showing it the clips (opt for the low profile clips)
Safety/Retention: (A) Excellent retention and safety. The Kydex holds your weapon very well
Comfort: (B+) - You know it's there, but it's not bad. I've dosed off wearing it on several occasions.
Cost: (F) The holster itself isn't bad (starts at $39), but the kydex has worn holes in 3 pairs of jeans.
Overall: (C-) It's a fine holster if you don't mind buying new pants all the time, or don't mind the holes.

Next Guardian http://www.nextholster.com/webdocs/Items/Details1.cfm
Accessibility: (A) - Can be converted to be worn IWB or OWB, and rides right at the belt line for easy access, Adjustable cant would be nice though.
Concealability: (B-) - Conceals decently with just a button down shirt, but not tuckable. More cant or adjustability would help.
Safety/Retention: (B) The leather keeps the trigger covered well, but the leather could be stitched a bit tighter. It's fairly snug for now, but the leather will loosen and the tension screw doesn't seem to do much. Worn IWB you have the tension from your belt to counter this. There is an optional thumb break.
Comfort: (B-) - A sweat guard would be nice, but it is comfortable. A sweat guard is optional.
Cost: (C) $60 is a bit high to me. If they tightened the stitching, added some adjustment for cant, and brought the leather up slightly against the skin, it would be a better bargain.
Overall: (B) Good quality and versatility, and overall a nice holster. A few improvements would make this a great holster
The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development... It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.
-Jeff Cooper
Stratojaxter
Seasoned Member

Re: A few Sccy holster options with reviews

Postby jax gunslinger » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:42 pm

Thanks for the reviews. I agree with your ACE Case reviews. Definitely decent holsters for the money. I've had good luck with the FOXX brand and use a Mini Foxx for daily carry with my TCP. It has broken in nicely and is perfect for my needs. I also have a modified Galco IWB for my Bersa Plus 380 that's worked out well.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson ***PERMANENTLY BANNED MEMBER OF THE HPFF**
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby 45Man » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:33 pm

I missed this thread before I placed order from Ace Case.
Got 2 different ones; 2 for $25 w/free shipping, can't go too wrong.
1. Gripper Pocket Holster - I figured it would be just as you described. I wear cargo shorts almost all the time.
2. Stick-It Holster - IWB - This is one I hope will be the primary CC holster. Sounds like similar or same material as Gripper.
http://acecase.com/stick-it-holsters-va ... pless.html
SCCY CPX-2 TT, S/N 131xxx (Born: 3/14/14)
45Man
Forum Regular

Postby Stratojaxter » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:04 pm

45man, Let us know what difference there are between the two.
I'm guessing the Stick-it is similar to a Remora holster, but I haven't tried that one either.

I'm looking for a paddle holster next, although I'm considering attempting to make one. I drive a lot even my most comfy holsters get uncomfortable after a while of sitting in the car. I'd like to be able to remove it easily, and put it right back on as I get out of the car.
The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development... It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.
-Jeff Cooper
Stratojaxter
Seasoned Member

Postby GoesBang » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:23 pm

Stratojaxter wrote:45man, Let us know what difference there are between the two.
I'm guessing the Stick-it is similar to a Remora holster, but I haven't tried that one either.

I'm looking for a paddle holster next, although I'm considering attempting to make one. I drive a lot even my most comfy holsters get uncomfortable after a while of sitting in the car. I'd like to be able to remove it easily, and put it right back on as I get out of the car.

My Tagus paddle is good for that. OWB only. It slips over the belt.
Attachments
photo 4.JPG
photo 3.JPG
SCCY CPX-2-CB s/n 085x (Born on 4/25/13) Receiver replaced 3/14 s/n 129x
Ruger P95PR
Henry Golden Boy H004
Kel-Tec P11/P40
RIA 1911 Tactical FS 45 ACP
RIA M206 38 Special 2"

USMC 1976-79 3rd MAW Camp Pendleton, CA
HTTP://www.X-CalibearUSA.com
GoesBang
Veteran Member

Postby 45Man » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:39 pm

GoesBang wrote:
Stratojaxter wrote:45man, Let us know what difference there are between the two.

My Tagus paddle is good for that. OWB only. It slips over the belt.

Will report back when they arrive.
Yes, the Stick-It is like the Remora.
Sitting in the car or bicycle is the issue for me, as well.

I got this holster for my Combat Master a long time ago.
http://minutemanholstersandgear.com/
Not the original owners of the company & they changed the material from leather to Kydex.

The leather ones were custom molded to the individual gun. No metal on the holster at all. They fit like a pair of shoes.

I changed to a ClipDraw which is great (no holster), the 1911 model goes under the right grip.
Might end of trying the stick-on one for the CPX-2. It allows the use of holster without removal.
https://www.clipdraw.com/store/index.ph ... how_detail
https://www.clipdraw.com/
45Man
Forum Regular

Postby babsc01 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:29 pm

Loving all of these reviews. I'm still sticking with my three favorite holsters for the CPX-2.

IWB - Bianchi Model 100, size 10A. Very comfortable and concealable leather holster. The tight metal clip allows for carrying without a belt. I've used it with sweatpants, camo drawstring pants, and even a kilt!
IWB - LittleFOXX hybrid holster. Molds well to the body and holds the weapon securely, as well as allowing for good re-holstering.
OWB - Fobus TAM paddle holster (favorite). Other reviews have been done on the forum for this one. Initial grip can be a bit tight, but it will work in with time.
Smith & Wesson SD9 VE
SCCY CPX-2 Gen 2
Hi-Point JCP .40 S&W
Kahr CW9 (wifey's carry)
Ruger SR22
Remington 597 .22LR Rifle
Stevens Model 320 Security 12-gauge Shotgun
babsc01
Seasoned Member

Postby 45Man » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:23 pm

Other than the material used on the outside, they are identical. Either one can be used IWB or in the front pocket.
Notice the difference in material in the pictures below.
Stick-It Holster Slipless
http://acecase.com/stick-it-holsters-va ... pless.html

Gripper Holster Slipless
http://acecase.com/gripper-slipless/
45Man
Forum Regular

Postby Darrelllync » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:56 am

I use the .3 lead version. I totally agree about how smooth it is, although you have to have a light touch with the thinner lead.
Darrelllync

Return to Product User Reviews