First time with lil sccy and loved it

User Reviews of Shooting Products and Accessories. New holster, mag, gun lubricant, etc... tell us about it!
End User reviews only.

First time with lil sccy and loved it

Postby Shikahgho » Mon May 26, 2014 9:14 pm

This pass weekend was my first time using my firearm. I've had it since march but have been so busy with work I had no time to go out and have fun. Well here's my thought on the firearm. It packs a good punch, there were a few times I pulled the trigger and nothing happened cause a shell was still in the recoil. Hope I said that right. I'm still new to CCW an owning a firearm. I didn't mind it, I just took my time to get the shell out. I did get hit in the head and neck a few times which weren't too bad. But overall I enjoy my lil man and plan to take him out more. Any tips? I'm open to any criticism. Thanks
Shikahgho

Re: First time with lil sccy and loved it

Postby GoesBang » Mon May 26, 2014 9:44 pm

Take your time and learn your weapon. Terminology helps when you try to describe a part of it, or parts of it.

Firearms and shooting are a world within themselves.

Enjoy!
SCCY CPX-2-CB s/n 085x (Born on 4/25/13) Receiver replaced 3/14 s/n 129x
Ruger P95PR
Henry Golden Boy H004
Kel-Tec P11/P40
RIA 1911 Tactical FS 45 ACP
RIA M206 38 Special 2"

USMC 1976-79 3rd MAW Camp Pendleton, CA
HTTP://www.X-CalibearUSA.com
GoesBang
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Tue May 27, 2014 1:49 am

Any tips? Yes.

Study the manual (not just read but study). Go thru the manual with the pistol to learn what pieces it's made up of and how to disassemble / reassemble it properly. Take a pistol class to learn how to safely handle and operate your pistol. If you have a friend who is experienced with shooting and using pistols ask if he can give you some pointers.

Operating a pistol, safe handling and shooting one are all pretty easy to learn from scratch UNLESS you have developed bad habits and need to un-learn them first.

Oh, if you're a 1st person shooter video game player, forget everything you "learned" in video games as it probably all falls into the bad habit area.

Keep practicing. Work on your grip so it's always nice and firm.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby madmax » Tue May 27, 2014 6:57 am

Welcome, If your new to firearms I suggest you take a weapons handling course the NRA has some good ones. Take your weapon apart and learn how it works, and as was suggested above read the manual and don't be afraid to ask questions here. Terminology will come with time so don't get frustrated, again Welcome.
Max
USCG Ret.
madmax
Veteran Member

Postby Shikahgho » Wed May 28, 2014 10:28 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcomes. I've got some firearm training under my belt for about 4 hrs but this is the first time I've actually bought my own weapon. I live on a state in fact the last state to approve conceal carry law (illinois), so you can probably see why I'm just now owing one. But I def will be reading more and more on the manual and il will be in the range a lot more as well.
Shikahgho

Postby MaxRV » Fri May 30, 2014 5:03 am

Shikahgho, The is an older gentleman on YouTube who goes by the username Hickok45 who does some really good firearm reviews (in my opinion). Anyway, he did a nice 20min+ review of the 2nd Gen SCCY and spent a lot of time talking about different types of ammo, grains, misfires, and general ammo recommendations. You may want to take a look at his video for a little more insight into what the SCCY like to eat versus what it does not like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... TgFs-m59RY Good Luck, Max
MaxRV

Postby jimbojr85 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:34 pm

I know this is an older topic and I hope you still like your gun, but as a new member here (but longtime shooter) I have been going back and looking at some of the older threads.
One thing that caught my attention was that you were (judging by how you described it) getting pinged by brass on your head and neck, and may have had a few failures to feed.
The failures to feed, and getting pinged by the brass, may be related issues caused by having a weak grip on the gun. Not to say that you are weak, but many people hold a gun in different ways, and what a lot of people might not realize is that when you fire a recoil-operated handgun like the SCCY, it must have something to kick back against, and that is usually the firer's hand and wrist - which is why a proper grip on the gun is so important for proper functioning.
When I shoot my CPX-2 it tends to eject cases with quite a bit of authority, usually about a dozen feet to the right, with some landing more to the front and others landing more to the back. However, when my daughter shoots it, it doesn't eject the brass as forcefully - and occasionally she gets pinged by the brass and sometimes it lands on her head.
Same exact gun, same exact ammunition, but two totally different ejection patterns, and that is because we hold it differently. She doesn't have the hand and arm strength that I do. For further illustration, her boyfriend is a lot younger and stronger than me, and when he shoots it it throws the spent brass even farther.
So far the SCCY has functioned for my daughter, but if she were to continue shooting it as her arm and hand tired, it would eventually fail to extract or feed. This is one reason double-action revolvers remain popular, they function as long as the shooter can hold onto the gun and pull the trigger all the way.
Whether a person is a smaller shooter and needs to exercise their grip to strengthen their hand and forearm, or a larger, stronger person who needs merely to obtain a tighter hold on the handgrip, it is important to have a strong grip on the gun to give it something to kick back against.
Welcome to the world of gun ownership! Now practice, practice, practice!
jimbojr85
Forum Regular

Postby tnwulf0513 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:46 am

I am also a novice and got a cpx-1 for myself for Christmas. :) I had an issue with jamming .. I have to say that sccy's customer service is awesome. Called, within an hour I had a shipping label, sent it back and within a week it was back to me performing flawlessly.
Took the TN firearms safety course part of which required firing 50 rounds at varying distances and ran into another issue. The flanges on the grip that the safety fits into actually caused a blister on top of my thumb. Called customer service and talked to one the techs who recommended that I take a dremel or some sandpaper and round them off. And/or get a good pair of shooting gloves. I have done both.:) The last time at the range was a lot more fun. No pain or discomfort. Which allows you to focus on what you are doing rather than the pain each time the gun fires. lol I know this sounds like a complaint post up to this point but it absolutely is not. I find this gun surprisingly accurate with either hand. I am still getting used to the trigger pull .. and working out grip and stance. Over all I really like it! :)
tnwulf0513

Postby ron28spells » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:12 pm

The grip is nylon , using a dremel tool with a sanding drum will remove material rapidly , work slow and carefully , I prefer to use a sharp knife or chisel to trim the guard , remove 1/3 of the height , and taper the remaining guard 30 to 45 degrees toward the bottom of the grip .

Sent from my Trio Stealth G5 7.85 using Tapatalk
ron28spells

Postby ron28spells » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:15 pm

Also helps to install a Hogue hand all grip sleeve , this will improve your grip and allow less movement due to recoil .

Sent from my Trio Stealth G5 7.85 using Tapatalk
ron28spells

Return to Product User Reviews