Belgian Gun Blue

User Reviews of Shooting Products and Accessories. New holster, mag, gun lubricant, etc... tell us about it!
End User reviews only.

Belgian Gun Blue

Postby lamarw » Fri May 22, 2015 9:35 am

I just tried this product and was pleasantly surprised at how well it works. I re-blued a side plate on S&W Model 1905 which had a significant and ugly ding.

Then I re-blued an entire Norinco Model 231 pistol which had significant overall bluing loss. It is easy to do and does a superb job. It is more of a hot bluing process vs. a cold bluing and can be done right in your kitchen with a pan of boiling distilled water. The chemical "Belgian Gun Blue" is available at Brownells, Midway and other gun merchants. There are numerous youtube videos available for review.

As with many other jobs, the prep work is the hardest part.
Attachments
100_2998.JPG
100_2997.JPG
lamarw
Seasoned Member

Re: Belgian Gun Blue

Postby getvicious » Fri May 22, 2015 6:09 pm

They both look good. Good job. 8)
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby sccytoter » Sat May 23, 2015 8:58 pm

Wow, that Chinese TT looks really good!
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby lamarw » Sun May 24, 2015 4:40 pm

Thank You, It is a great shooter for very little money. It looks much better than before. I may add a few more applications just to deepen the bluing.
lamarw
Seasoned Member

Postby foolzrushn » Fri May 29, 2015 12:34 am

I am not familiar with this process. I have only cold blued and had a LGS blue a pistol with hot salts??

I presume that this process is more durable than cold bluing, and that 'Belgian' is a generic term for this process?

Did they caution about the type of metal in the hot water bath pan? (And does your wife think the potatoes taste funny?) Sorry :)
foolzrushn

Postby lamarw » Fri May 29, 2015 3:52 pm

I do believe it is a generic term since it has been identified in the past as Herters Gun Blue and more recently Belgian Gun Blue. I think the current correct name is Art's Belgian Gun Blue. It can be found on the internet with all the above terms.

Everything I have read indicates it is superior to the typically cold bluing as far as durablility. I have only used the cold blue in the distant past for touch-up spots. I do not believe the color is near as nice as this process. I cook too, so I used a stainless steel AllClad Pot. I thoroughly hand washed and then ran it through the dish washer prior to cooking edible food after the bluing process. You will need a much larger pot for rifle and shotgun barrels. There is a YouTube video of Mr. Larry Potterfield, the Founder and CEO of Midway USA, bluing a rifle barrel with this process. I am not sure where you would obtain such a vessel for bluing a long barrel. I would think a stainless steel container is best since there would not be in transfer of minerals from the pan to the finishing product. (if such could occur?)
lamarw
Seasoned Member

Return to Product User Reviews