Broken Ejector

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

Re: Broken Ejector

Postby getvicious » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:30 pm

BTW, when you installed a new ejector is it loose or snug?

My ejectors (original & replacement) were both somewhat loose and had a little movement side to side.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby JBrady » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:26 pm

Vicious, believe I have discovered what causes the ejector failures. See my diary for more.

Got your gun back yet?

BTW, my ejector roll pin was VERY tight. I had the same Pittsburg punch set but they bent. Bought a stonger PIN punch from Sears but still NO go.

Ordered a set of short ROLL pin punches from Brownells and with a LARGE effort was able to remove it.
I was concerned about possibly damaging the aluminum frame with the effort this took but it did finally move.
Was going to send it to SCCY if it didn't so if they had the same problem and it was damage it would be warranted.
Feel MUCH better doing this myself.

So, I feel I have the answers to the slide cracking, spring rod failures, FTF, FTE and broken ejectors.
Some minor tweaks and a material change from steel to brass and these little CPX's should become highly reliable.
I did speak with SCCY. Hopefully they are following, agree and will make these changes.
CPX-2 owner as of 2/6/11
JBrady
Seasoned Member

Postby getvicious » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:40 pm

I got my CPX-1 back from SCCY on 2-25-2011.

Jon worked on the gun and sent me a nice note. He "installed a new hammer/spring assy, trigger bar and safety. New slide assembly." See the attached images, note I now have a black CPX-2 slide on my CPX-1. Looks pretty good.

So far I've fired 30 rounds thru my CPX-1 (20 ea Blazer 115 Grain FMJ and 10 ea Federal Champion 115 Grain FMJ). No problems, the gun functions nice and smooth! The SCCY folks fixed me up just fine.

This past weekend I went to a gun show in Raleigh and picked up a JA-380. I was looking at the specs on the Shining Star Investments LLC web site (http://www.shiningstardist.com/home.htm) and saw a link that read "SCCY INDUSTRIES," I clicked the link and it opened a PDF file showing info on the CPX-2. I find it a bit odd that the SCCY website, apparently, has no mention of the updated CPX-1 or the new CPX-2, and in fact is about 2 years out of date, but the Shining Star site has the current info. Check out the link.

Anyway, the SCCY folks did a great job fixing up my gun - thanks to Jon and the rest of the SCCY crew for taking good care of me.

CPX-1 Left Side New Slide 3-4-2011.jpg
CPX-1 Left Side New Slide

CPX-1 Right Side New Slide 3-4-2011.jpg
CPX-1 Right Side New Slide
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby HootmonSccy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:58 am

Get, glad the repair experience went well..
I've got a question for you.. At the back of the trigger area, there appears to be a black bump.. What is that??

On the ShiningStar website.. Did you notice that the middle Sccy is a CPX-2 with a CPX-1 slide on it?? Also Double Action Only (DAO) must be a MAJOR point.. It is listed 3 times on each side.. :D

On the Sccy Website.. Matt and I swapped a couple of e-mails back when the CPX-2 came out.. I was told the revamp was in the works and would be done "Soon"..

Looks like it is turning into the same "soon" as the MPX "soon"
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby getvicious » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:13 pm

I've got a question for you.. At the back of the trigger area, there appears to be a black bump.. What is that??
It's a trigger stop. Before I found the SCCY CPX-1, I thought I wanted a Kel Tec P-11. I looked at the KTOG site and researched the gun. The KTOG site is where I first heard of "fluff and buff" and other things. One of the things that stuck with me was the information on the trigger stop. Here's a link to the info on the KTOG site http://www.ktog.org/tecwerks1.htm#White%20Trigger%20Stop.

After I got my wife her Firestorm 380 I noticed it had a trigger stop cast into the metal trigger. That got me thinking about the trigger stop DIY info I had read in "TecWerks" on the KTOG site. If Firestorm (Bersa) had trigger stops on their guns, maybe there was more to the thing than just some guy's DIY project. I tried it and it did help my accuracy. I never notice it when I shoot but it helps.

I did notice the different slides on the guns as you mention.
Did you notice that the middle Sccy is a CPX-2 with a CPX-1 slide on it??
Obviously the comments about the CPX-2 being thinner are not correct. Especially as my CPX-1 now has a CPX-2 slide and the image of the CPX-2 with a CPX-1 slide.

I also noticed the many, many DAO statements. Yes, someone must believe that's an important selling point.

I find it interesting that SCCY is listed on the Shining Star Investments LLC web site with the Jimenez Arms (JA) guns. JA is the current incarnation of the old Jennings brand pistols. Pretty much all that changed is the name as the parts from late model Jennings pistols fit current JA pistols. Please, nobody misinterpret my comments here as a slam against JA pistols. I own 2 of them (.22 LR and .380 ACP). They are both reliable and work well. I bought the JA-22 to plink in my "back yard" due to ammo cost. I bought the JA-380 based on my experience with my JA-22. I wanted something I can carry when my CPX-1 was just too large. The JA-380 is about .5" smaller than the CPX-1 all the way around and thinner too. That may not seem like much but does make a big difference. I can carry the JA-380 in the back pocket of my jeans. It fits completely inside the pocket and is unnoticeable. I can't do that with my CPX-1.

Anyway, the point is Shining Star Investments LLC is apparently the SOLE distributor of Jimenez Arms pistols. Now I have no idea who was the distributor of SCCY pistols before, but I can't help wondering if Shining Star Investments LLC is now the SOLE distributor of SCCY pistols too. After all, that seems to be their business model. If this is true then Shining Star Investments LLC must have capital available, and be making good money with JA pistols, or SCCY wouldn't have partnered with them. I hope this new relationship works out well for both companies (Shining Star Investments LLC and SCCY) and both can grow and be more successful.

like it is turning into the same "soon" as the MPX "soon"

Maybe this is part of the revamp and I just stumbled on it before all the updates are finished or announced. 8)
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby JBrady » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:47 pm

vicious, any idea where the firing pin retaining screw is located on the CPX-2 barrel?

My manual is CPX-1 and shows the screw slightly ahead of the rear sight. No such screw or other obvious location on the CPX-2 slide.
Maybe under the sight?
CPX-2 owner as of 2/6/11
JBrady
Seasoned Member

Postby getvicious » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:20 pm

any idea where the firing pin retaining screw is located on the CPX-2 barrel?

I have no idea - haven't looked for it. The rear sight is behind the firing pin assy above the hammer well so I doubt there is anything under it.
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby tazz2007man1 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:07 am

getvicious wrote:Today I noticed my ejector is broken (CPX-1 s/n 039xxx).

I had two cases fail to eject today in 8 rounds fired. I checked out my gun and saw the ejector had broken off. Please see the attached picture.

I emailed SCCY this evening, with the picture, and will call them Monday AM. Is the ejector something I can replace myself or do I need to send the gun back to you for repair?

Aggravating!!!

the ejector in my cpx-2 is lose is that normal?
tazz2007man1

Postby getvicious » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:27 am

tazz2007man1 wrote:the ejector in my cpx-2 is lose is that normal?

Yes, CPX ejectors have a little side to side movement (rattle). I've never seen or heard of one that doesn't.
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Orangedotfever » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:34 pm

I just checked my ejector. It is solidly in place with no movement or rattle at all.
Orangedotfever

Postby JSferrazza » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:22 am

I was firing about the 650th round out of my CPX-2 today when all of the sudden I had a failure to feed. I was able to clear the jam and kept shooting. I kept shooting and stopped to change ammo. I released the magazine amd racked the slide to ejected the chambered round and nothing came out. I locked the slide open and noticed that the LIVE round was stuck behind the extractor! The only way I could get it out was to release the slide and fire the round. I thought it wasay e a faulty round, so I loaded the gun again, dropped the mag, and tried to eject the chambered round again - same thing! I called the range officer over to get his input, and he couldn't free the round without firing it either. He thought that I might have some dirt under the ejector and told me to blast it really good withan aerosol cleaner.

I got home, field stripped it, amd began to clean the CPX. Then I realized that my ejector broke off! I called SCCY, but they won't be open until Monday.

I'm going to have them ship me a new one, and will attempt to replace it myself. I'll be usig your pictures as a reference. Any other suggestions you can provide for this fix?

Thanks!
JSferrazza

Postby getvicious » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:38 pm

JSferrazza wrote:I was firing about the 650th round out of my CPX-2 today when all of the sudden I had a failure to feed. I was able to clear the jam and kept shooting. I kept shooting and stopped to change ammo. I released the magazine amd racked the slide to ejected the chambered round and nothing came out. I locked the slide open and noticed that the LIVE round was stuck behind the extractor! The only way I could get it out was to release the slide and fire the round. I thought it wasay e a faulty round, so I loaded the gun again, dropped the mag, and tried to eject the chambered round again - same thing! I called the range officer over to get his input, and he couldn't free the round without firing it either. He thought that I might have some dirt under the ejector and told me to blast it really good withan aerosol cleaner.

I got home, field stripped it, amd began to clean the CPX. Then I realized that my ejector broke off! I called SCCY, but they won't be open until Monday.

I'm going to have them ship me a new one, and will attempt to replace it myself. I'll be usig your pictures as a reference. Any other suggestions you can provide for this fix?

Thanks!

Ejector or extractor? The extractor is a hooked spring loaded piece in the slide that pulls the case from the chamber (it's number 01-012 on page 32 of the manual). The ejector is a tab that pushes the case up and right out the ejection port in the slide (it's number 01-032 on page 31 of the manual).

Sounds like you may mean the extractor.

It's a pretty simple process to replace the ejector. Just be sure you have a punch small enough to fit properly and take your time. If at any time you don't feel good about what you're doing stop - call SCCY at that point.

It's also pretty easy to replace the extractor. Just be careful of the spring under it and again, have the correct size punch. Be sure to get the pin back in far enough - it it protrudes too far out the underside if the slide it can gouge the right rail (personal experience speaking here).

If you can do routine work on your car you have the skills to replace your ejector or extractor.

Use the manual to see how things fit together. Take your time and use care. Let us know how it works for you.
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby JSferrazza » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:45 pm

Ejector. The part next to the hammer. Extractor is working just fine.

The ejector snapped in half, and now rounds get stuck to the part where the firing pin comes out, behind the ejector.

Tried to upload pics, but it won't work...
JSferrazza

Postby Mrbone » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:14 pm

That was always a prob with both of mine. The ejector snapped about every 2 to 300 rounds.
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Postby Mrbone » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:16 pm

It can be very dangerous if you think you cleared your gun. even if you rack the slide a bunch of times the round will just stick and re chamber. Scary
Mrbone
Veteran Member

PreviousNext

Return to Range Reports