First test after repair and FrogLube - Update

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

First test after repair and FrogLube - Update

Postby babsc01 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:01 pm

Hey guys...going to the range this week to shoot my CPX-2 for the first time after being fixed by SCCY for a broken ejector & trigger upgrade.

Also, my FrogLube kit is arriving today, and I will do the first application this evening. Based upon everything I've seen and heard about this stuff, I'm excited about trying it. I'll keep everyone up to date on how "Si" performs.

Hi...wanted to move this post from the General Discussions to this section.

Went today and shot about 50 Winchester whitebox and 40 Freedom Munitions 115gr JHPs (lunch break, only had limited time). As mentioned above, this was my first test after receiving the weapon back from SCCY for a broken ejector. They also performed a trigger upgrade and also updated some other parts.

I had a couple of Failures-to-Eject, and one or two times where the slide did not lock open after the last round in the mag. I've not had ANY failures before, so they took me by surprise. The failures occurred only with the WWB...none with the JHPs. I'm going again at the end of the month. In the meantime, I'll apply the second FrogLube application. After the first application, my CPX seemed to be much cleaner (and smelled nice), and the slide worked quite a bit better. I'm not attributing the above failures to the FrogLube.

Will keep everyone updated and would like your feedback. Thanks.
Smith & Wesson SD9 VE
SCCY CPX-2 Gen 2
Hi-Point JCP .40 S&W
Kahr CW9 (wifey's carry)
Ruger SR22
Remington 597 .22LR Rifle
Stevens Model 320 Security 12-gauge Shotgun
babsc01
Seasoned Member

Re: First test after repair and FrogLube - Update

Postby HootmonSccy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:55 pm

Thanx for the update
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby babsc01 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:50 pm

Here's a pic from today...

Chest area is my SCCY CPX-2. Head area is the first shots with my new Hi-Point JCP .40 S&W.

Can you tell which one I'm used to?
Smith & Wesson SD9 VE
SCCY CPX-2 Gen 2
Hi-Point JCP .40 S&W
Kahr CW9 (wifey's carry)
Ruger SR22
babsc01
Seasoned Member

Postby qwiksdraw » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:57 am

babsc01 wrote:
I had a couple of Failures-to-Eject, and one or two times where the slide did not lock open after the last round in the mag.....

Did you check the magazine springs? Mine did that, especially on the last round. This could show up later as problem as the mags springs loosen up with use.

Upon taking apart both my mags I found that both mags had springs installed in backwards. The looped end of the spring should line up below the high end of the follower, the tag end should be lined up below the rim side of the follower.
qwiksdraw
Veteran Member

Postby babsc01 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:23 am

Did you check the magazine springs? Mine did that, especially on the last round. This could show up later as problem as the mags springs loosen up with use.

I have not checked that, but didn't think about that since they worked flawlessly before being sent off to SCCY. I don't know if the techs did anything to the magazines, or if they would have a reason to.

I really think it was the Winchester ammo causing the problems. But, we'll see next time. THANKS!
Smith & Wesson SD9 VE
SCCY CPX-2 Gen 2
Hi-Point JCP .40 S&W
Kahr CW9 (wifey's carry)
Ruger SR22
babsc01
Seasoned Member

Postby babsc01 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:17 pm

Sunavabeech. BOTH of my magazine springs were in backwards...now cleaned and corrected.
Smith & Wesson SD9 VE
SCCY CPX-2 Gen 2
Hi-Point JCP .40 S&W
Kahr CW9 (wifey's carry)
Ruger SR22
babsc01
Seasoned Member

Postby getvicious » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:53 pm

babsc01 wrote:Sunavabeech. BOTH of my magazine springs were in backwards...now cleaned and corrected.

Hopefully that will correct your feed issues. It's an easy fix but one you should not have had to make. :|
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby babsc01 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:17 pm

Agreed. I think all will be well. I REALLY love my CPX-2. I've put 700+ rounds through it without a single problem until the ejector broke. It conceals well, fits my hand fine (with the new extended baseplates), and holds plenty of rounds for self-defense purposes.

Here's raising a glass to the CPX and the folks at SCCY. Haters are gonna hate, but I'm gonna keep loving.
Smith & Wesson SD9 VE
SCCY CPX-2 Gen 2
Hi-Point JCP .40 S&W
Kahr CW9 (wifey's carry)
Ruger SR22
babsc01
Seasoned Member

Postby babsc01 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:42 pm

Went to the range again last night, the first time testing the CPX-2 after realizing the mag springs were both in backwards.

Shot some Tennessee Cartridge reloads (range ammo), Winchester white box, Herters TNJ, and also some Wolf WPA military crap bought cheap at a local gun show. The night ended for my SCCY once I saw had a chipped extractor after a WPA round got stuck in the chamber. I was bummed out!

I will call CS in the morning to get a replacement extractor, and I'm confident I can replace it myself. But, I just had the ejector replaced and the trigger upgraded by the SCCY technicians. I love my CPX-2 and use it as my CCW, but I'm starting to have doubts if I can confidently trust my life with this gun. If you've read my earlier posts, you know that I put 700 rounds through it without a single problem until the ejector broke.

I'll give it one more chance once I get the extractor replaced. I love this gun (and the company) and I don't wanna tuck tail and run. But, I'm also looking around for a good price on a Glock 19.

Ever forward.
Smith & Wesson SD9 VE
SCCY CPX-2 Gen 2
Hi-Point JCP .40 S&W
Kahr CW9 (wifey's carry)
Ruger SR22
babsc01
Seasoned Member

Postby HAMBONE » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:29 pm

That's a bummer. I just got a replacement gun from sccy and it had a chipped extractor right out of the box. They sent me a new one. I'm not looking forward to changing it so I've been using the chipped one. I love this gun myself, especially this black one the finish is so awesome. But I'll be replacing it with an Xdm 3.8 compact 9mm as my carry. I will keep the sccy though, because if it breaks I'll always have a new gun.
HAMBONE
Veteran Member

Postby babsc01 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:57 am

New extractor is on the way...SCCY customer service pleasing as always!
Smith & Wesson SD9 VE
SCCY CPX-2 Gen 2
Hi-Point JCP .40 S&W
Kahr CW9 (wifey's carry)
Ruger SR22
babsc01
Seasoned Member

Return to Range Reports