Trigger malfunction/Recoil Spring

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

Trigger malfunction/Recoil Spring

Postby lostsmitty » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:12 am

Put 100 rounds last weekend, another 100 yesterday, I think a total of 500 to 700. While shooting today the trigger didn't return forward. I had emptied a magazine, replaced the magazine, released the slide, when I went to pull the trigger that's when I noticed it was stuck back. I dropped the magazine, cycled the slide to eject the round and the trigger returned forward and performed without any further problems.

Then when I got home and removed the recoil spring sub assembly from the slide the washer came off the end of the recoil spring sub assembly releasing the springs. It looks like the washers center hole has warn out. I'm wondering if this is covered under warranty, I'll be giving SCCY a call on Monday.
lostsmitty

Re: Trigger malfunction/Recoil Spring

Postby Unown » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:41 am

Everything is under the warranty. Just give Jason a call SCCY will send you a new recoil rod for free. Mine wore out at about 700 rounds. As far as the trigger reset goes Jason is the man to talk to about that also. He may have a quick fix for it or he may want you to send it in.
I sent mine in last week because of the pins moving, got it back the other day but I haven't had a chance to go to the range yet. They have sent me quite a few replacement parts over the last few months and I installed them my self. I was not able to get the over size pins in myself that's why I sent it back to them. So far I have not spent a penny for parts or shipping. Danise is the one I talk to for parts and Jason for advice on repairs.
EDC CPX2 CB
DOB: 05/15/2013
We are advised by the present administration to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few.
Unown
Seasoned Member

Postby GoesBang » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:45 am

Free parts?

I can't begin to describe the small stockpile of parts that I have. It has got to the point that when I call with a want list that one of the nice ladies passes it on to Jason for approval. Never been denied yet.

On the other side, Jason knows that I am trying to modify parts for function. It's his job, but he's normally too involved in repairing CPX's.

They are great people to deal with.
SCCY CPX-2-CB s/n 085x (Born on 4/25/13) Receiver replaced 3/14 s/n 129x
Ruger P95PR
Henry Golden Boy H004
Kel-Tec P11/P40
RIA 1911 Tactical FS 45 ACP
RIA M206 38 Special 2"

USMC 1976-79 3rd MAW Camp Pendleton, CA
HTTP://www.X-CalibearUSA.com
GoesBang
Veteran Member

Postby Sccy-Captain » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:29 pm

lostsmitty wrote:Put 100 rounds last weekend, another 100 yesterday, I think a total of 500 to 700. While shooting today the trigger didn't return forward. I had emptied a magazine, replaced the magazine, released the slide, when I went to pull the trigger that's when I noticed it was stuck back. I dropped the magazine, cycled the slide to eject the round and the trigger returned forward and performed without any further problems.

Then when I got home and removed the recoil spring sub assembly from the slide the washer came off the end of the recoil spring sub assembly releasing the springs. It looks like the washers center hole has warn out. I'm wondering if this is covered under warranty, I'll be giving SCCY a call on Monday.

sometimes the slide lock lever can bind on the trigger cam causing the trigger to stay back. this will only happen when the slide lock is engaged, trigger function should return to normal when slide closes or slide stop is disengaged. if not, call me
Last edited by Sccy-Captain on Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No such thing as knock down power,
only knock down accuracy
Sccy-Captain
Veteran Member

Postby jax gunslinger » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:18 pm

A Kel-tec P11 guide rod and spring set will solve your recoil rod issues. Its hard to believe this problem still exists.... :(
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson ***PERMANENTLY BANNED MEMBER OF THE HPFF**
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby Loudviking » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:38 pm

Got a question Jax, is the Kel-Tec rod larger at the end which fits in the slide,
so that you don't have to use the washer?
Loudviking
Forum Regular

Postby jax gunslinger » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:42 pm

No washers.....2 springs, one poly rod.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson ***PERMANENTLY BANNED MEMBER OF THE HPFF**
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby Loudviking » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:39 am

Loudviking
Forum Regular

Postby Sccy-Captain » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:21 pm

using the Kt rod would be equal to using the Sccy rod with a failed washer....its your money
No such thing as knock down power,
only knock down accuracy
Sccy-Captain
Veteran Member

Postby jax gunslinger » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:57 pm

Sccy-Captain wrote:using the Kt rod would be equal to using the Sccy rod with a failed washer....its your money

If you were to use a broken Sccy captured recoil rod system, and I'm assuming that you just mean the metal rod and the two springs. You will need to make sure that the guide rod is still straight and not bent. You will also need to ensure that it's smooth all the way to the end, and that it hasn't gotten gouged or chewed up. The beauty of the KT design is that it's simple, the poly rod has some flexibility, less metal to metal contact on the barrel and muzzle end of the slide. This design has been in service for years on multiple brands of firearms and is a proven performer. The only draw back that I'm aware of is that initially after installation the slide is stiffer to rack. This problem gets much better after it breaks in. Wolf springs may have a lighter spring if this is an issue.
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby Loudviking » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:57 pm

Sccy-Captain wrote:using the Kt rod would be equal to using the Sccy rod with a failed washer....its your money

Thanks Jason, I was wondering how it was going to work without the washer.....
Never mind then, leave it alone.
Loudviking
Forum Regular

Postby getvicious » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:59 pm

I was having issues with my original CPX-1 a while back. I decided to try a Kel-Tec Recoil Rod and Springs. They fit okay. I saw no change in how the Pistol operated nor did my issues go away. Effectively I saw no change.

The KT Rod is plastic and it bends when the Slide moves. One interesting thing I found when I was researching the P-11 before I bought my CPX-1 was comments on the KTOG site about the plastic Recoil Rod. There were several posters who thought the plastic Recoil Rods were causing reliability problems. Based on the posts I read KT offered a metal Recoil Rod at one time as a replacement for the plastic one. Some people said the metal Recoil Rod fixed their issues, some said it was not needed.

Essentially some people liked the plastic Recoil Rod and some liked the metal Recoil Rod. None of the posts I read had clear reason why one was better than the other.

One thing I did notice with the KT Recoil Rod was you had to be carefull when removing the Slide. The KT Recoil Rod is able to fly quite a distance since it's not a captive assembly.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby jax gunslinger » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:21 am

getvicious wrote: Based on the posts I read KT offered a metal Recoil Rod at one time as a replacement for the plastic one. Some people said the metal Recoil Rod fixed their issues, some said it was not needed.

Essentially some people liked the plastic Recoil Rod and some liked the metal Recoil Rod. None of the posts I read had clear reason why one was better than the other.

One thing I did notice with the KT Recoil Rod was you had to be carefull when removing the Slide. The KT Recoil Rod is able to fly quite a distance since it's not a captive assembly.

I spoke with a KT rep a while back about the plastic v/s steel guide rod comparison. He told me either one will work just fine, but they offered the steel version for folks that didn't feel comfortable with the plastic. He said they prefer to use the plastic/nylon style because its lighter and less expensive, and should last the life of the gun. He also warned against metal on metal wear (egg shaping) of the guide rod hole on the muzzle end of the slide. I've actually experienced this problem with an old P40 I had that came with a metal guide rod. Its cheaper to replace a $2 plastic guide rod than a $100 slide assy. I've owned lots of KT's, and I don't recall ever having an issue with a plastic guide rod.
I absolutely agree with you on showing caution when installing or removing any compressed springs. The zip loc bag trick might be a better idea for some. Remember your responsible for those springs from the time they jettison from your greasy little hands, until they hit your wife in the forehead. They are however, much less of a challenge then trying to put the slide back on the frame of a Hi-point. Now those springs can go a loooong way.
The bottom line here is; If your not happy with the captured style Sccy system, and you want to go in a different direction for reliability or different recoil tensions, you have other viable options. Wolf Springs may be able to provide you with something custom for your particular needs.
:mrgreen:
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby wrench459 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:26 pm

I did a quick search and this thread is close to my question.
Which is how many rounds is the stock recoil spring assy. good for?
I've got the latest and greatest as of 3-16 production run in my 292XXX cpx-2.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby Mrbone » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:26 pm

Ive never been able to find out. Every time i had to send it in they replaced the rod worn or not.
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Next

Return to Range Reports