First range trip - pleasantly surprised

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

First range trip - pleasantly surprised

Postby Clonesfan » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:16 pm

I received my CPX-2 along with the armalaser and desantis holster Monday from my ffl. Yesterday afternoon, I took it to the range with my FNP9. Took the FNP to compare the 2 and to have something to shoot if the CPX-2 did not work out. I also like to shoot more than 1 gun on my range sessions.

First magazine had Remington UMC 115 jhp that I had loaded in the magazine Monday to loosen it up. The magazine did not click into place like the empty one had been doing all week, but seemed to be in the gun ok. The gun did not go fully in battery when I racked the slide, but a little tap with the palm of my hand fixed that. Same thing happened a couple more times with that magazine. All 10 shots went off smoothly and the slide stayed open after the last round. I followed that w 40 more rounds of wwb fmj also 115 grain. Again...no ftf or fte. The long and heavy trigger took some getting used to but I was hitting the target well from 10 ft without fail.

I then switched to the FNP9 for the remaining 60 rounds of wwb. The short, smooth, and light SA trigger made me realize just how different the trigger on the CPX-2 really is. It was also a little easier on my hand as the little gun can be a bit of a handful if you are not used to it. The accuracy was better, but that was to be expected with that gun.

I went back to the CPX,this time with Remington 115 grain jhps which I may use as my sd load. Again, things went off without a hitch for all 40 rounds. This gun has a reputation of not liking Remington (light strikes) but I did not experience that with either fmj of jhp.

So....after a total of 90 rounds through the new gun, I found that it had none of the problems I have read about online and am pleasantly surprised. I did have a problem replacing the pin when I field stripped the gun when I first got it. The slide seems to catch just a little sometimes and that may be the source of the one magazine problem. I may contact cs and see what they have to say.
Clonesfan

Re: First range trip - pleasantly surprised

Postby HootmonSccy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:56 pm

[quote="Clonesfan"
This gun has a reputation of not liking Remington (light strikes) but I did not experience that with either fmj of jhp.
[/quote]

Thanx for the review...

The light strike was fixed by SCCY a couple of years ago in a redesign.. All newer pistols should not have that issue...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby getvicious » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:36 am

Clonesfan wrote:I received my CPX-2 along with the armalaser and desantis holster Monday from my ffl. Yesterday afternoon, I took it to the range with my FNP9. Took the FNP to compare the 2 and to have something to shoot if the CPX-2 did not work out. I also like to shoot more than 1 gun on my range sessions.

First magazine had Remington UMC 115 jhp........
...back to the CPX,this time with Remington 115 grain jhps which I may use as my sd load. Again, things went off without a hitch for all 40 rounds. This gun has a reputation of not liking Remington (light strikes) but I did not experience that with either fmj of jhp.

So....after a total of 90 rounds through the new gun, I found that it had none of the problems I have read about online and am pleasantly surprised. I did have a problem replacing the pin when I field stripped the gun when I first got it. The slide seems to catch just a little sometimes and that may be the source of the one magazine problem. I may contact cs and see what they have to say.

Thanks for the review. I've fired Remington UMC 115 Grain JHP with good results. Is that the "Remington 115 Grain jhps" rounds you mention? If you do choose to use those for your "sd load" that will place you in a minority in that these are not "special" or "exotic" rounds marketed as self-defense rounds. I've done a little testing with wet packs and water filled milk bottles and have to say those rounds worked.

Hope your CPX continues to work well for you.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby myhobbyz » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:19 am

Glad to hear you are happy with your new pistol.

getvicious wrote: Thanks for the review. I've fired Remington UMC 115 Grain JHP with good results. Is that the "Remington 115 Grain jhps" rounds you mention? If you do choose to use those for your "sd load" that will place you in a minority in that these are not "special" or "exotic" rounds marketed as self-defense rounds. I've done a little testing with wet packs and water filled milk bottles and have to say those rounds worked.

Hope your CPX continues to work well for you.

I think that a lot of people (first time users especially) to the firearms industry are definitely over analyzing the "stopping power"/ expansion rate of particular rounds by manufacturer, caliber, or projectile makeup (design/weight). They are looking for this "MIRACLE BULLET" that does not exist and are not concentrating on the basics...SHOT PLACEMENT, which comes from practice.
YOUR LACK OF PLANNING IS NOT MY EMERGENCY.......
myhobbyz
Forum Regular

Postby qwiksdraw » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:57 pm

Good review. Make sure the take down pin is in all the way. A quick press with a thumb will make sure of that. I think it is good that the pin fit is a good idea which means the user can't get sloppy when reassembling the pistol.
qwiksdraw
Veteran Member

Return to Range Reports