First Range Trip

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

First Range Trip

Postby pinecone » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:25 am

I just got my black SCCY and took it and my wife to a range in Jacksonville, NC. I was a little nervous about the gun but was eager to shoot it. My wife had never shot a pistol before so I was also concerned about her nervousness around it.

I shot first to make sure the sights out of the box were fine. I'm not a great shot by any means but was hitting near where I was aiming so I called it good. My wife is apparently a better shot than me as her groupings were a bit tighter.

We shot 100 rounds through the gun of TulAmmo BrassMaxx ammo. We only had one round not chamber properly and it may have been her limpwristing the shot. I also had a weird issue where the trigger didn't feel like it was trying to fire. On both of those I cleared those rounds and went back to shooting. I even put those rounds back in and shot those without issue.

Can't wait to get back out there and shoot some more! We actually have friends who have a lot of property that we can shoot at also. Now if I can just find 9mm ammo easily ...
pinecone

Re: First Range Trip

Postby getvicious » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:49 am

pinecone wrote:I just got my black SCCY and took it and my wife to a range in Jacksonville, NC. I was a little nervous about the gun but was eager to shoot it. My wife had never shot a pistol before so I was also concerned about her nervousness around it.

I shot first to make sure the sights out of the box were fine. I'm not a great shot by any means but was hitting near where I was aiming so I called it good. My wife is apparently a better shot than me as her groupings were a bit tighter.

We shot 100 rounds through the gun of TulAmmo BrassMaxx ammo. We only had one round not chamber properly and it may have been her limpwristing the shot. I also had a weird issue where the trigger didn't feel like it was trying to fire. On both of those I cleared those rounds and went back to shooting. I even put those rounds back in and shot those without issue.

Can't wait to get back out there and shoot some more! We actually have friends who have a lot of property that we can shoot at also. Now if I can just find 9mm ammo easily ...

Around here Walmart has been having a fair supply of 9mm ammo lately. I've picked up two of the TulAmmo BrassMaxx 100 round "soup cans" from them. It seems to work well in my CPX. Seems to be pretty good stuff at a good price point.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby pinecone » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:22 am

That's what I got. I've read that it's "Dirty" ammo. Does that mean it's just messy with the soot? It shot well for me.
pinecone

Postby GoesBang » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:34 am

I just picked up a 250 round box of Remington UMC 115 grain FMJ at one of the local Walmarts. $72.77 + tax

Also picked up a box of WWB 230 grain FMJ for $43.57 + tax.

Not cheap but it should do me for a little while.

Now if the mud would go away I could go out and sling some of that lead at silhouettes.
SCCY CPX-2-CB
Ruger P95PR
Henry Golden Boy H004
Sig Sauer P226
RIA 1911 Tactical FS 45 ACP
RIA M206 38 Special 2"
RIA M200 38 Special 4”
Taurus PT940
Marlin 336W/989M2/Camp 9

USMC 1976-79 3rd MAW Camp Pendleton, CA
HTTP://www.X-CalibearUSA.com
GoesBang
Veteran Member

Postby Unown » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:28 pm

My wife always out shoots me, but she has her dads old Ruger Single Six 22lr. Not to make excuses but it is a sweet gun. I got her a pink case for it last year and pink ear muffs. She has been shooting it since she was a little girl. She hates the recoil on my CPX and won't fire it anymore. I think the recoil is quite manageable. I have a Rossi M971 .357 mag with a 2 1/2 barrel and it really hammers you its a sweet gun too. It would be my EDC if I could keep my pants up when I carry it. We have a lot of fun with our firearms. I'm afraid to say how many we have in public.
EDC CPX2 CB
DOB: 05/15/2013
We are advised by the present administration to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few.
Unown
Seasoned Member

Postby getvicious » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:34 pm

pinecone wrote:That's what I got. I've read that it's "Dirty" ammo. Does that mean it's just messy with the soot? It shot well for me.

Yes, referring to the residue left behind in the gun.

I hear people say this ammo is dirty and others say some other ammo is dirty. I clean my guns after every time I shoot them. I've never shot more than about 100 thru any gun at one time and never noticed a lot more residue with any ammo over another. They all leave residue behind and it's more with shooting more rounds.

Personally, I like the TulAmmo BrassMaxx as well as WWB, Federal, PMC, Remington and Magtech for FMJ. They all shoot fine for me. The FMJ I like the best is RWS Sport Line 124 Grain. That stuff just shoots smooth for me. Walmart used to carry it but I haven't seen it for a long time, too bad.

Oh, don't feel bad that your wife may out shoot you. My wife and 13 year-old granddaughter are both really good shots with my wife's FireStorm .380. You could even say "dead-eye". Neither of them like my CPX. Both say too much recoil which I find interesting as my wife has fired .357 and .44 Magnum Revolvers before and never said a word about a lot of recoil, and was dead-on the target with them too. All the women (and girls) I know are good shots.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby pinecone » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:42 pm

My wife seemed to life the gun. I felt the recoil was the same as the Glock 19 I shot a few months ago. I was expecting the SCCY to have more since it was a lighter gun (I think). I would like to get a bigger gun for range shooting/home defense.
pinecone

Return to Range Reports