First range trip... mixed bag but mostly disappointing

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

First range trip... mixed bag but mostly disappointing

Postby ndoren » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:21 pm

Brand new cpx-2. First trip to the range, after a thorough field strip. check of magazine springs, clean and lube. First 40 rounds or so were flawless, except the white paint fell off the front sight after the first 10 rounds. After that, things went downhill. For the next 5 magazines, the last casing in the magazine failed to eject, apparently blocked by the front edge of the magazine follower. Three other times, it was the next to last round that wouldn't eject, apparently blocked by the face of the last round still loaded in the magazine. Overall, almost too many FTEs in the first 100 rounds to have kept count.

On the plus side the gun is EXTREMELY accurate for its size, and it never failed to feed when the gun was cleared, or fire once a round was fully chambered. Ammo was Blazer Brass 115 Gr. Unfortunately, I have tons of this stuff, so of the gun is sensitive to this brand, that's unfortunate. All my other 9mms eat it voraciously.

Also, just one interesting observation... the gun really chews up the rim of the brass case. I doubt they're worthy of reloading at that point (though I don't reload myself). The case gets really munched.

I'm sure open for suggestions as to how to improve reliability... certainly not a reliable gun for CCW. Not a newbie, either. I typically fire 3000-4000 rounds per year on a variety of hanguns of different calibers. The SCCY has me discouraged.
ndoren

Re: First range trip... mixed bag but mostly disappointing

Postby HAMBONE » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:34 pm

You must just be limp wristing. this is a quality gun. :lol: on a serious note: mine loves blazer. never had one single malfunction with it in hundreds of rounds.
HAMBONE
Veteran Member

Postby jax gunslinger » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:33 pm

I doubt you have an ammo issue. Blazzer generally works well in most every hand gun that I've owned. You didn't mention weather your ejection issues were stove pipes, spent brass not being kicked out or if they were sticking in the chamber. If you have stove pipe issues I would normally think limp wristing or recoil spring/guide rod issues. If the brass was out of the chamber and not ejecting....perhaps broken ejector. If the brass is staying in the chamber......perhaps a broken ejector, dirty/sticky chamber from too much lube or carbon build up, or the chamber of the barrel is out of spec. You can check the brass and see if it is bulging. This will tell you if the bore is out of tolerance. Good luck........
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson ***PERMANENTLY BANNED MEMBER OF THE HPFF**
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby ndoren » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:41 pm

Thanks for your input and helpful suggestions. I agree, that I doubt it's the ammo... I have gone through literally thousands of rounds of Blazer Brass in other guns without a hiccup. That doesn't mean THIS gun isn't sensitive to it, so thank for your feedback for letting me know your SCCYs have no problem with Blazer Brass.

Most of my FTEs were on the last round of the magazine. They were usually sitting against the magazine follower... partially ejected and not in battery. In each case, I retained the casing and inspected for bulges (none), and test fit the casing back into the breech (no sticking). Intrestingly, I could not "shake loose" the cases in these instances whenever the magazine was still inserted. They won't get past the empty magazine follower. They won't fit above and over it. Of course, upon removal of the mag, they fell right out.

While I haven't removed the ejector, I inspected it under a lit magnifier and it looks ok (at least to my eye, and I'm admittedly not a gunsmith). I doubt it was "limp wristing," as I am very picky about my aim and use an isometric technique (push-pull) to stabilize my wrist and grip. This gun is amazingly accurate.. I was shooting 4" groups at 7 yards and nearly as well at 10 yards. I know failures are usually the shooter's issue, first and foremost, but I really doubt it in this case, given 10,000+ round experience with calibers from 22 LR to 50 BMG.

I gave the gun a good cleaning after the range, and I'll try it once again before contacting tech support. Neall
ndoren

Postby GoesBang » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:52 pm

Were the mag springs broken in before you fired it?
SCCY CPX-2-CB
Ruger P95PR
Henry Golden Boy H004
Sig Sauer P226
RIA 1911 Tactical FS 45 ACP
RIA M206 38 Special 2"
RIA M200 38 Special 4”
Taurus PT940
Marlin 336W/989M2/Camp 9

USMC 1976-79 3rd MAW Camp Pendleton, CA
HTTP://www.X-CalibearUSA.com
GoesBang
Veteran Member

Postby jax gunslinger » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:29 pm

Do you have the same issue with both mags? You may want to mark each of the mags, and try them one at a time to see if you can isolate it down to one particular mag. You may also want to let someone else shoot it and see if they have the same issue. You may also want to try another brand of ammo and see if that makes a difference. If the problem goes away with a new brand, you may want to run a couple hundred rounds of that through the gun to break it in before going back to the Blazzer.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson ***PERMANENTLY BANNED MEMBER OF THE HPFF**
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby ls81 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:42 am

i don't know why i do this but i always load a mag completely let sit for a few hours or couple days depending on just how itchy i am to get out and test fire the new gun. then before i go i hand eject the shells from the magazine. (admitedly this did not find my magazine trouble but mine was a spring that was twisted). then i reload and let the fun begin. this texhnique does help with stiff magazine springs and can let you know of any future issues before you take the time and spend the money to go to the range.

It let me know that my hi-point 9mm carbine mags were bad and needed a feed lip adjustment. probably why i got such a fantastic deal on that one.
ls81
Forum Regular

Postby ndoren » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:22 pm

Thanks for all your suggestions. Exaclty why I am going to try some ideas out before I contact SCCY techs. I haven't yet explored all the options. I have similar issues with each mag, but I also have two more coming from from Bud's, possibly from a different manufacuting lot, so that'll add to the equation. I have one mag sitting home fully loaded, one empty. I have them marked and will make some comparisons between then. I should be off to the range on Sunday. I will keep you posted. Neall
ndoren

Postby getvicious » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:08 pm

Hope you get your issues work out. That type of stuff is extremely aggravating.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Return to Range Reports