First time out and a question???

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

First time out and a question???

Postby hogjon13 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:33 pm

CXP-2, one stovepipe, one fail to feed. 50 Rem UMC & 50 hand loads. The Rem all went bang, both failures were w/ the hand loads so I'm happy with that.
The question I have, is the slide supposed to lock back after the last round? Neither Mag locks the slide back. This model has the slide release rather than the slide lock but I "slingshot" the slide to load the first round as the release is somewhat stiff. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
My last computer used to beat me at chess, but it wasn't worth a crap in a gunfight.
Those with little first-hand experience who dismiss or ignore the learned opinions of those more experienced are doomed to wander through life without a clue. μολών λαβέ
hogjon13

Re: First time out and a question???

Postby getvicious » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:57 pm

hogjon13 wrote:CXP-2, one stovepipe, one fail to feed. 50 Rem UMC & 50 hand loads. The Rem all went bang, both failures were w/ the hand loads so I'm happy with that.
The question I have, is the slide supposed to lock back after the last round? Neither Mag locks the slide back. This model has the slide release rather than the slide lock but I "slingshot" the slide to load the first round as the release is somewhat stiff. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yep. Check your magazine springs to be sure they are installed properly. Lots of posts about that issue. Basically the highest point of the spring goes under the front of the follower. And, as always, make sure the CPX is clean and lubed. You might clean the magazines and give them a little lube too. If it continues not locking back on the different ammo you might consider calling SCCY.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby HootmonSccy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:40 am

What Get said
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby GoesBang » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:49 am

hogjon13 wrote:CXP-2, one stovepipe, one fail to feed. 50 Rem UMC & 50 hand loads. The Rem all went bang, both failures were w/ the hand loads so I'm happy with that.

Also depends whether you made any attempt at "breaking in" the mag springs beforehand. I keep my mags loaded all the time. Every once in a while I unload them and then reload them again. Just to unstiffen the springs. YMMV
SCCY CPX-2-CB
Ruger P95PR
Henry Golden Boy H004
Sig Sauer P226
RIA 1911 Tactical FS 45 ACP
RIA M206 38 Special 2"
RIA M200 38 Special 4”
Taurus PT940
Marlin 336W/989M2/Camp 9

USMC 1976-79 3rd MAW Camp Pendleton, CA
HTTP://www.X-CalibearUSA.com
GoesBang
Veteran Member

Postby GKC » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:55 am

GoesBang wrote:Also depends whether you made any attempt at "breaking in" the mag springs beforehand. I keep my mags loaded all the time. Every once in a while I unload them and then reload them again. Just to unstiffen the springs. YMMV

This is something I do with every new magazine...I load them to capacity and let them sit for at least a week or more before I use them for the first time. Some magazines need cleaning initially, particularly if they have oil in them (like in the case of every RIA 1911 I've ever bought; they come dripping in oil, and it runs down into the magazine during shipping.) My CPX-2 wasn't really oily, but I'll be taking the mags apart to check the springs, so I'll clean them while I have them apart.
GKC
Seasoned Member

Postby GoesBang » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:45 pm

Here is a pic I just took of two CPX magazine springs. Which one do you think has never been installed? The other is very broken in.

All the reason to compress/de-compress the spring by keeping them loaded. YMMV
Attachments
Mag springs.JPG
SCCY CPX magazine springs
SCCY CPX-2-CB
Ruger P95PR
Henry Golden Boy H004
Sig Sauer P226
RIA 1911 Tactical FS 45 ACP
RIA M206 38 Special 2"
RIA M200 38 Special 4”
Taurus PT940
Marlin 336W/989M2/Camp 9

USMC 1976-79 3rd MAW Camp Pendleton, CA
HTTP://www.X-CalibearUSA.com
GoesBang
Veteran Member

Postby hogjon13 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:03 pm

Thanks to all. Yup, turned the springs around and will now lock the slide back on an empty mag. when cycling by hand. Wouldn't do it before, shooting or by hand. Haven't had a chance to test fire yet but feel confident it will work as intended. Really want to like this little pistol, only time will tell. :wink:
My last computer used to beat me at chess, but it wasn't worth a crap in a gunfight.
Those with little first-hand experience who dismiss or ignore the learned opinions of those more experienced are doomed to wander through life without a clue. μολών λαβέ
hogjon13

Return to Range Reports