Well finally made it to the range.

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

Well finally made it to the range.

Postby Dan13 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:35 am

Finally took the CPX-2 that I picked up a couple months ago to the range today. Just so you know the range is run by the State Department of Natural Resources and is an outdoor range and the closest that you can shoot is 50 feet. Was about 72 degrees today with winds gusting to 40 MPH so had a little trouble keeping track of things. Fired 50 rounds of Federal 115 gr. FMJ and 50 rounds of Remington 115gr. FMJ the only problem that I found was shooting low left, but feel that was just me not being use to the gun yet.
While there also ran 100 rounds through my new HP-22A which if 22's ever get plentiful again will be a ball to shoot. All in all was a good day at the range and am very happy with the way both guns performed.
Did fire one full mag through my C-9 and the Cpx-2's recoil seemed to be less than that of the Hi-point.
SCCY CPX-2 CB s/n 107xxx
Born on 10/23/13
Hi point C-9
Phoenix HP-22A
Dan13

Re: Well finally made it to the range.

Postby getvicious » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:59 am

Sounds like you had a great time! Thanks for the update. 8)
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby 45Man » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:49 pm

Dan13 wrote:Finally took the CPX-2 that I picked up a couple months ago to the range today. Just so you know the range is run by the State Department of Natural Resources and is an outdoor range and the closest that you can shoot is 50 feet.....

50 ft or 50 yds?
SCCY CPX-2 TT, S/N 131xxx (Born: 3/14/14)
45Man
Forum Regular

Postby qwiksdraw » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:27 am

You can blame the 40 mph wind for shooting low left. It certainly wasn't you doing that! LOL

Good report, looks like you had fun!
qwiksdraw
Veteran Member

Postby Dan13 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:44 am

It's a 50 foot Pistol range and all targets have to be at the back stop. Range master says if you can pattern at 50 feet you don't have to worry about short range shooting.
As for the shooting low left that was me and a new gun did the same thing with the Hi-point C-9 first time I shot it.
SCCY CPX-2 CB s/n 107xxx
Born on 10/23/13
Hi point C-9
Phoenix HP-22A
Dan13

Postby HAMBONE » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:37 am

That's interesting. The hi point is way heavier so it should have less recoil.
HAMBONE
Veteran Member

Postby Dan13 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:21 am

Hambone I believe the heavier recoil in the Hi-point is due to the weight of the slide on the C-9 as compared to the slide on the CPX-2. There is almost 12 to 13 ounces difference in the two guns when fully loaded.
SCCY CPX-2 CB s/n 107xxx
Born on 10/23/13
Hi point C-9
Phoenix HP-22A
Dan13

Postby getvicious » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:51 pm

Dan13 - I was surprised to see you state "Did fire one full mag through my C-9 and the Cpx-2's recoil seemed to be less than that of the Hi-point."

You're the first person I can remember saying that. I have no way to give my opinion as I've never fired any Hi-Point. Of course, one thing about perceived recoil is that it's perceived by the shooter rather than measured with an accelerometer and every shooter's perception is not the same as all other shooters.

I have considered a Hi-Point as a nightstand / vehicle / range pistol as I hear good things about them from people who actually own them. One of the guys in my CCW class had a .380 model and had no problems doing the shooting portion of the class. I spoke to him a bit after the class and he showed me the pistol. The pistol seemed pretty nice actually.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Dan13 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:25 pm

I've shot my Hi-point C-9 quite a lot and used it for my concealed Class with no problems. The only reason for the range trip this time was both the CPX-2 and the HP-22A where new and had never been fired and the one mag through the Hi-point was just for comparison purpose of the recoil between the two pistols.

I my opinion the heavier slide on the C-9 cause the heavier recoil maybe someone else would have a different opinion.

Don't get me wrong I really like the C-9 but it's a little on the big and heavy side for concealed carry but I have used it that way until I got the CPX-2. The CPX was bought to be used for concealed carry due to it's size and half the weight of the Hi-point. The Hp-22A will be used for plinking and as a BUG.
SCCY CPX-2 CB s/n 107xxx
Born on 10/23/13
Hi point C-9
Phoenix HP-22A
Dan13

Postby getvicious » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:59 pm

With your mix of pistols, you ought to check out the BJJA Forum (http://bryco-jennings-jimenezarms.com/forum/index.php). Lots of info there about all kinds of inexpensive guns.
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Dan13 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:15 am

I am all ready a member of that Forum as well as the Hi-point Forum.
SCCY CPX-2 CB s/n 107xxx
Born on 10/23/13
Hi point C-9
Phoenix HP-22A
Dan13

Postby ls81 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:13 pm

i like me some inexpensive guns that work the way they are suposed to.
ls81
Forum Regular

Postby morayman » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:50 pm

parkerd wrote:Have had more fun with my little Phoenix than perhaps any other pistol I have owned. Read lots of stuff about poor finish, mag issues, etc but found it superior to a lot of other guns in those areas. Easy to hold, very accurate. Paid $101 brand new. Bought 2 more for the kids recently, haven't heard any complaints from them. Is a little complicated to break down the first few times. Would recommend to anyone. And if you don't like it you can sell it in about 30 seconds.

I've got one of those,and it's a blast to shoot! I used it for my carry gun for a while because it was so accurate even though it was just a .22 When I go to the range it's one of the most shot guns.I'd shoot it more if I could find .22 ammo. morayman...........
morayman
Seasoned Member

Postby getvicious » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:50 pm

I've looked at the Phoenix .22 but already have a JA-22. My small kid has a J-22, chrome with wood grips. They both shoot great. Lots of fun. The JA-22 and J-22 are the same gun, just produced at different dates. Disassembly / reassembly is really simple. Wish we could find .22 ammo like we used to. Haven't shot them in a while other than just a few rounds every now and then. Not at all like we used to. I carry mine when only something really small will work.
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Return to Range Reports