CPX-1 in PINK at the range

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

CPX-1 in PINK at the range

Postby slayer61 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:43 pm

Well fellas,
My Mrs. took her new concealed carry CPX-1 to the range yesterday and fired about 200 rounds of various ammo (CCI Blazer aluminum, 115's & 124's from freedom munitions, some hollow points and redline reman) with only 2 FTF all day. She was even mixing up rounds in the same mag! The gun proved to be very reliable.

Because she intends to use the pistol as her C/C weapon, she opted for the CPX-1 because it has the safety... This probably wasn't a good idea, and may be the downfall of an otherwise fine pistol. The guard, or shroud around the safety caused her a blister on her thumb, and the RSO had to come to the rescue with a Band-Aid! :oops: We are going to try some Traction Grips, and see if that doesn't raise the surface of the grip high enough so that the safety guard isn't so pronounced.

She is also only used to shooting a striker-fired S&W M&P9c, and as a result found the SAO trigger a little bit difficult to deal with. I gave her a little coaching and she showed some improvement, but it (obviously) isn't like shooting her M&P.

All-in-all, the pistol does what it was designed to do... it sent shots, a lot of them, down range and she found it reliable, if somewhat uncomfortable. Be safe my friends!

Paul
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Paul
slayer61
Forum Regular

Re: CPX-1 in PINK at the range

Postby dlb » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:55 pm

You may have already seen this elsewhere on the site - but if you contact them they will probably rebuild it as a no safety for you (or send you the parts)
=================
Dave
Volusia Co. FL

current:
CPX-2 Black

previous:
Beretta 92-FS
Walther PPK-S
dlb
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:36 pm

Your wife may want to try to reposition her grip slightly to avoid the wear issue with the trigger guard.

The way people grip a pistol varies widely from person to person. I have a CPX-1 and like the safety. I have no issue with my grip. Your wife obviously does. If she continues to have this issue she'll need to make a choice to either live with the rubbing on her thumb - a CC handgun won't actually be called into use very often for actual defense so that may work, take dlb's advice about calling SCCY to get it converted to a CPX-2 without the safety, modify the frame a bit to eliminate the rubbing (if possible) or get a different handgun if it becomes that large of an issue.

I hope she's able to get some relief since it sounds like she likes the pistol. Let us know how things work out.

BTW - She, and presumably you too, Conceal Carry? Good for you two!
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby jcwit » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:13 pm

I removed the lower portion of the safety guard, and carefully beveled the safety itself, now more blister/gouging of my thumb, no more accidentally knocking the safety on. Plus I still have a safety on this CPX1. Win win all the way around.
jcwit
Veteran Member

Postby PattonWasRight » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:24 pm

Good fix there, may want to post a pic for others who unlike me, have convinced their wife to carry, but won't do without a positive safety. Props to ya'
Just Your Average Jewish Redneck.
PattonWasRight
Seasoned Member

Postby jcwit » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:37 pm

Old fellow here and I have no idea how to post a pix.

In essence what I did was remove the ridge at the bottom portion where the safety lever is, I then beveled the lower portion of the safety lever itself. Also removed/beveled the center part of the safety lever, that is the part that is towards the rear of the pistol.

Not really rocket science, if you are unsure of yourself, ask SCCY for an extra safety lever and go from their.
jcwit
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:58 pm

jcwit wrote:Old fellow here and I have no idea how to post a pix.

In essence what I did was remove the ridge at the bottom portion where the safety lever is, I then beveled the lower portion of the safety lever itself. Also removed/beveled the center part of the safety lever, that is the part that is towards the rear of the pistol.

Not really rocket science, if you are unsure of yourself, ask SCCY for an extra safety lever and go from their.

These are not jcwit's pictures but are similar to what he did to his.
http://www.sccyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1109&p=21150&hilit=safety+lever+modification#p21150
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby jcwit » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:47 pm

However I did not shorten the safety lever, I removed the "hump" at the rear of the lever, In other words I tapered it towards the front.

For me and the way I grip this pistol it solved the problem altogether. :D
jcwit
Veteran Member

Postby slayer61 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:01 am

Well, SCCY has stuck to their word! :D My wife called the folks at the factory and they said "sure, send it back". She boxed it up and sent it to Florida, and a day or so later, they have removed the safety frame (CPX-1) and replaced it with a non-safety frame (CPX-2) FREE OF CHARGE! Can't beat the SCCY customer service! :kickback:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Paul
slayer61
Forum Regular

Postby GoesBang » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:05 pm

slayer61 wrote:Well, SCCY has stuck to their word! :D My wife called the folks at the factory and they said "sure, send it back". She boxed it up and sent it to Florida, and a day or so later, they have removed the safety frame (CPX-1) and replaced it with a non-safety frame (CPX-2) FREE OF CHARGE! Can't beat the SCCY customer service! :kickback:

You could have done that yourself. That's how I did mine. They first sent me the safety eliminator which locks the safety in the "FIRE" position. Then Jason fixed me up with a couple of modified trigger bars and trigger cams with the flipped reset spring. After that he sent me the CPX 2 grip and I removed the safety eliminator and installed the CPX 2 grip. It became a CPX 2 after that.

I still have the CPX 1 grip, the original safety, an extra, and the eliminator kit. They are all included in the plethora of other spare CPX parts I have.
SCCY CPX-2-CB
Ruger P95PR
Henry Golden Boy H004
Sig Sauer P226
RIA 1911 Tactical FS 45 ACP
RIA M206 38 Special 2"
RIA M200 38 Special 4”
Taurus PT940
Marlin 336W/989M2/Camp 9

USMC 1976-79 3rd MAW Camp Pendleton, CA
HTTP://www.X-CalibearUSA.com
GoesBang
Veteran Member

Postby slayer61 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:53 am

9/30/14 update:
We dry fired the little pink pistol after getting it back from sccy and several times the trigger failed to reset. We took it to the range and same thing :evil:
Back to sccy for another warranty repair :bash: :bs:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Paul
slayer61
Forum Regular

Postby LareP » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:42 pm

by slayer61 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:53 am
9/30/14 update:
We dry fired the little pink pistol after getting it back from sccy and several times the trigger failed to reset. We took it to the range and same thing

Just curious, what's the first three digits of pinkies serial # ???000

“Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion in private self defense.”
- John Adams
LareP
Forum Regular

Postby slayer61 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:40 pm

LareP wrote:
by slayer61 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:53 am
9/30/14 update:
We dry fired the little pink pistol after getting it back from sccy and several times the trigger failed to reset. We took it to the range and same thing

Just curious, what's the first three digits of pinkies serial # ???000

“Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion in private self defense.”
- John Adams

143 Why do you ask?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Paul
slayer61
Forum Regular

Postby LareP » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:37 pm

Thanks.

Whenever I hear of anything above 149K going wrong my antenna goes up because all the fixes are supposed to be incorporated into the current manufacturing process after that # and most of them after 145K. Last I checked they were in the 170K range (with 3 shifts running they are probably well beyond that now). The only thing I've found to be a consistent issue with new production is the front pin, which has been an issue for a while now and difficult at best to finally fix because of the variance in thickness of coatings on the pistol & pin. I keep my SCCY website up to date with stuff like this if I find it to be consistent as well. I have a software that scans the net for current SCCY issues & then follow up.

No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it.
-- 16 Am. Jur. Sec. 177 late 2d, Sec 256
LareP
Forum Regular

Postby PattonWasRight » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:49 pm

slayer61 wrote:9/30/14 update:
We dry fired the little pink pistol after getting it back from sccy and several times the trigger failed to reset. We took it to the range and same thing :evil:
Back to sccy for another warranty repair :bash: :bs:
That's just plain wrong. Be sure you don't pay a dime for shipping. Let them know there isn't a "third try."
Just Your Average Jewish Redneck.
PattonWasRight
Seasoned Member

Next

Return to Range Reports