FIrst time SCCY and Range Report

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

FIrst time SCCY and Range Report

Postby Thumb » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:15 pm

Bought this CPX-1 about a week ago and really liked the size and weight so out to the range I went. It shot pretty consistent but about 2" high at about 8yds so I decided to bench rest it and see if it was me or the gun, it's the gun/sights. I put about 50 rounds through it and although I had no issues with it, the trigger pull was about what was advertised but the trigger pull length is ridiculously long and the reset you might as well take your finger off the trigger and let it go all the way back.

Right now I'm considering selling it for what I can get out of it or just store it away for a later day unless they come up with a trigger fix for it.
Thumb

Re: FIrst time SCCY and Range Report

Postby getvicious » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:13 am

Bought this CPX-1 about a week ago and really liked the size and weight so out to the range I went. It shot pretty consistent but about 2" high at about 8yds so I decided to bench rest it and see if it was me or the gun, it's the gun/sights. I put about 50 rounds through it and although I had no issues with it, the trigger pull was about what was advertised but the trigger pull length is ridiculously long and the reset you might as well take your finger off the trigger and let it go all the way back.

Right now I'm considering selling it for what I can get out of it or just store it away for a later day unless they come up with a trigger fix for it.

Howdy and welcome from NC.

Not sure about any "trigger fix" - the DAO trigger is designed to work as it does.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby jcwit » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:01 am

The SCCY's are made for personal protection/defense, not as a target pistol. Two inches will make little difference in a confrontation anyway.

Want a cheap range pistol that's fun to shoot/plink? Buy a Hi Point. I bought one about 4 months ago and am having a ball with it. I shoot it more than my Kimber or Springfield or my Browning HP's.

Anyway, before I forget, as I usually do, Welcome to the forum. :D
jcwit
Veteran Member

Postby GoesBang » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:47 pm

It is what it is. Compare it to it's distant relative, the Kel-Tec P11. Same long trigger pull. Same long reset. Same 8.5 to 9 lb hammer spring yet the SCCY trigger operates smoother.

Either get used to it or find something else that better suits your desire.

Personally I think that the long DAO trigger is just fine.

Good luck.
Last edited by GoesBang on Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCCY CPX-2-CB
Ruger P95PR
Henry Golden Boy H004
Sig Sauer P226
RIA 1911 Tactical FS 45 ACP
RIA M206 38 Special 2"
RIA M200 38 Special 4”
Taurus PT940
Marlin 336W/989M2/Camp 9

USMC 1976-79 3rd MAW Camp Pendleton, CA
HTTP://www.X-CalibearUSA.com
GoesBang
Veteran Member

Postby Thumb » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:40 pm

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a bad gun, just not for me. Been shooting for almost 58 years and am use to much shorter pulls and also lighter. When you're use to that it does make a difference and for personal carry I would not feel comfortable with it at all. Yes, I could get use to it but when I picked up my SA XD-9 3" on Friday there was no decision to make. I'll just keep it for backup and take it to the range with me for people to try out like I do all my other ones.
Thumb

Postby qwiksdraw » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:45 am

Thumb wrote:... Been shooting for almost 58 years and am use to much shorter pulls and also lighter....

Just because you're older now, don't lose your sense of adventure. After doing the same thing for all those years, why not experience something new, take on a new challenge and spice things up a bit. Don't let yourself become too old to learn something new.

It's OK of you choose not to choose to carry your CPX everyday, but shoot it at the range, You will be surprised when you get that "AHA!" moment with your SCCY and it will be tons of fun to shoot after that.

I usually shoot 1911s at the range, so the SCCY was quite a change. But I get it now and like shooting my CPX2. I recently tried some rapid firing and it was much easier than I had anticipated. It wasn't as fast as my other guns but fast enough and had no reset problems. It's been fun "learning" this pistol.
qwiksdraw
Veteran Member

Postby sccytoter » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:28 pm

GoesBang wrote:It is what it is. Compare it to it's distant relative, the Kel-Tec P11. Same long trigger pull. Same long reset. Same 8.5 to 9 lb hammer spring yet they SCCY trigger operates smoother.

Either get used to it or find something else that better suits your desire.

Personally I think that the long DAO trigger is just fine.

Good luck.
I agree. Welcome to the forum OP.
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby johni37 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:53 pm

I love my cpx 2. It does take some getting use to. But when you do you will love it. Practice and it will come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johni37

Return to Range Reports