500+ rounds, and more to go

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

500+ rounds, and more to go

Postby oldsalt » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:28 pm

So I chanced into the deal of a lifetime about a month ago on a new CPX1. That following weekend I went to the range and put 150 rounds of Estate through her, then a box of Lawman, followed by two mags of Gold Dot +P and 2 mags of DRT frangible ammo. I had some problems with the DRT, but the rest went off like clock work.
Put a 20lb recoil spring in it, and last weekend we put two more boxes of Estate, a partial box of Winchester silver tips I had lying around, about 40 rounds of a mixed box from my range bag, finished up the box of Gold Dot +P, a box of Hornady Critical Duty, a box of Winchester Train and Defend, and finished off with two mags of DRT… Not one failure! Did a reset spring adjustment and blacked out the rear sights (old trick) this week.
Going out again tomorrow - 300 rounds in the range bag…
Attachments
20150117_200857.jpg
CPX1 CBDE
US Navy 6yrs - Law Enforcement 9yrs
TSRA, TCHA, NRA, CHL and Pistol Instructor
oldsalt

Re: 500+ rounds, and more to go

Postby sccytoter » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:06 am

Nice looking CPX1 Oldsalt! Sounds like it is running well for you. :wink:
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:10 am

Nice! 8)
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby oldsalt » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:44 pm

Sunday's range time - the empty boxes! That'll put the total at over 800 rounds without a glitch! :)
Attachments
20150125_103707.jpg
CPX1 CBDE
oldsalt

Postby getvicious » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:07 pm

oldsalt - How do you like the DRT frangible ammo? I have a box to test but haven't fired any yet. I'm thinking it might be good for in the home, so not to penetrate walls. I've heard some reviews that weren't real favorable in terms of penetration and heard on the SCCY user Facebook pages that it gave several fail-to-fire issues that needed a second strike. Trying to decide if I really want to shoot it or just keep it for a SHTF-rainy day. As I recall, the price wasn't bad for carry ammo.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby oldsalt » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:37 pm

getvicious - I've shot a total of four (4) boxes of the DRT 85gr and they leave ALOT to be desired as far as accuracy, but I have had no feeding issues, no ejection issues, and no failure to fires the last couple of times out a the range. My first time out I fire one box and it had a few feeding issues (It partial fed a total of 3 times with two magazines). I replaced the recoil spring and guide rod with a Galloway stainless guide rod and 20lb recoil spring kit (sku GP-2300 $35.00 +) and on the second time out fired two magazines - one box - with no malfunctions at all. Sunday we put two boxes through her without a glitch! The Galloway kit seemed to have fixed it. This past Sunday I also put two boxes of old crap rounds through her with no problem, and one of the boxes had gotten wet and the shells were kinda corroded but they all fed and fired without a single setback or hitch. Hope this helps! :)
http://gallowayprecision.com/sccy/cpx-2 ... ccy-cpx-2/
CPX1 CBDE
oldsalt

Postby oldsalt » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:37 pm

One of Sundays targets... Note to self - headshots at 45ft are hit or miss... :lol:
Attachments
20150127_170315.jpg
CPX1 CBDE
oldsalt

Postby getvicious » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:38 am

oldsalt wrote:getvicious - I've shot a total of four (4) boxes of the DRT 85gr and they.........

Thanks for the great info. 8)
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby mikie » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:18 pm

oldsalt wrote:Put a 20lb recoil spring in it,

I'm not a gunsmith. Could you please explain what this mod does for the gun? Is 20lb more or less than the original?
mikie
Forum Regular

Postby qwiksdraw » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:08 am

mikie wrote:
oldsalt wrote:Put a 20lb recoil spring in it,

I'm not a gunsmith. Could you please explain what this mod does for the gun? Is 20lb more or less than the original?

More energy is needed to compress the heavier spring. That spent energy on the spring reduces the perceived recoil felt by the shooter.
qwiksdraw
Veteran Member

Postby jcwit » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:36 pm

qwiksdraw wrote:

More energy is needed to compress the heavier spring. That spent energy on the spring reduces the perceived recoil felt by the shooter.

Actually this is correct and nothing more than simple physics. Did the same to mine some time ago, do a search, I've had no trouble with functioning, even with lighter reloads. Much better on the wrists.
jcwit
Veteran Member

Postby jcwit » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:53 pm

parkerd wrote:Obviously you never studied physics. And when you do a search, read the articles as well.

Simple physics! Every action has an equal reaction, and in this case the heavier spring absorbs the reaction.
This is Newton's third law of physics, to be exact.
Last edited by jcwit on Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
jcwit
Veteran Member

Postby jcwit » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:22 pm

Here you go, pretty self explanatory.

http://www.acxesspring.com/recoil-springs.html

The Rate (weight) Of Your Spring:

The rate (weight) of your recoil spring greatly affects the "kickback" you get out of your firearm when it is shot. Take a semi-automatic hand gun, for example. If you have a recoil spring with a lower rate, your gun will rise and lift a lot more than if you use a heavier recoil spring. Why?? Well, your recoil spring adds additional weight in the form a stronger recoil spring to the front of your gun which prevents it from rising too much so you can get to the second shot faster. If you're recoil spring is too light, the "kickback" you get out of your gun after being shot is going to cause the barrel of the gun to swing up and take longer for the barrel of your gun to come down, before you can get to your next shot.
jcwit
Veteran Member

Postby qwiksdraw » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:55 am

A heavier spring would only make the slide move faster when returning to battery. When you fire the gun, the heavier spring would slow down the slide and/or absorb more energy. Like a shock absober does on a car the rider does not feel the full impact of a bump in the road, so it is that a shooter will perceive less recoil with a heavier spring.
qwiksdraw
Veteran Member

Postby jcwit » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:02 am

Correct, Quickdraw!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
jcwit
Veteran Member

Next

Return to Range Reports