Failure to extract problem, with most but not all ammo

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

Failure to extract problem, with most but not all ammo

Postby TrapperBob » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:05 pm

In late December I went looking for a midsize 9mm to replace my pocket .380. Had a Taurus TCP, very reliable, but not pleasant to shoot, and the mag release and my grip didn't go together well, I was always accidentally dropping mags. Found the SCCY and really liked the feel and the look, and of course the price! Took it home, and then out to the woods after cleaning. Worked great. But before long (at about 100 rounds) it started the occasional failure to extract, but only with FMJ, hollow points work fine. Then it got to failure to extract about every other shot, only with FMJ. Changed FMJ ammo, same thing. Hollow points still work fine. Just for the heck of it I tried some Blaser aluminum case ammo, works great.

Called SCCY, and they're sending me a new slide assembly and barrel. I can't complain about the service, but I am at a loss to explain why it handles HP ammo (of two brands). And why aluminum case FMJ , but not brass case FMJ ammo (of 3 brands).

No complaint about SCCY, but I'm a guy who likes to understand what the problem is, and I really don't understand this one. So if anyone with more gun knowledge than me (which honestly wouldn't be hard to do) has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.
TrapperBob

Re: Failure to extract problem, with most but not all ammo

Postby GKC » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:38 pm

Kudos to SCCY for sending you an assembled slide and barrel. Those are probably the most expensive parts of the gun...and they could have asked you to send it in, which would probably have been cheaper for them even if they paid for shipping.

I am no expert, but if the problem is failing to extract, and no other malfunctions (like failing to chamber a round) then it's probably the extractor. You didn't say, but what failure to extract are you seeing? A stovepipe (failure to eject)? Fired round left in chamber, and next round jammed up against it (failure to feed)?

The only other issue that comes to mind, and again I'm no expert, is the ejector. If it is loose or broken, it may be malfunctioning...although that wouldn't explain why JHP rounds eject reliably. If it is the ejector, it's a frame part, not on the slide...so, if your new slide and barrel still malfunction, that may be your culprit.

There are some other things, like magazine feed lips or spring-related problems, dirty ammo, dirty chamber, and the all-pervasive limp-wristing, but those should affect ALL your ammo, and not just the FMJ rounds. Those rounds should feed the best, and not the worst.

Still and all, a very weird problem. If you are going to have malfunctions, it's better to have them with range ammo and not your SD ammo!
GKC
Seasoned Member

Postby getvicious » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:33 pm

TrapperBob - When my ejector broke on my original CPX-1 I experienced fails to eject several times per magazine. You might check out this post from that situation. Lots of images.

http://www.sccyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12543&hilit=+broken+ejector

Fail to extract does indeed sound like an extractor issue. The fact that it only does it with brass FMJ ammo may be a coincidence or indicate something more than a extractor issue. In any case, it's odd.

Let us know how it works after you get the new slide assy. And just in case, make sure the tip of your ejector isn't broken off when you remove your old slide.

BTW - Howdy and welcome from NC.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby TrapperBob » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:48 pm

By failure to extract I mean the fired case remains in the barrel. As far as I can tell the extractor is not broken, it extracts unfired rounds if I rack the slide. I'll post an update when I get the new parts.
TrapperBob

Postby GKC » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:41 pm

TrapperBob wrote:By failure to extract I mean the fired case remains in the barrel. As far as I can tell the extractor is not broken, it extracts unfired rounds if I rack the slide. I'll post an update when I get the new parts.

Please do give an update.
GKC
Seasoned Member

Postby TrapperBob » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:53 pm

Update. Received a box yesterday with a new slide assembly, barrel, recoil spring and guide rod. Installed today and took to the range, functioned flawlessly with all the kinds of ammo I tried, brass case hollow point, brass case fmj, aluminum case fmj. Would still like to know what the other problem was, but I'm happy it works good now. Included was a return address with postage sticker, so no cost to me at all. I have no complaints about customer service or the warranty! :D
TrapperBob

Postby GKC » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:25 pm

That's great news...glad your pistol is working now. I'm still curious as to what the cause was, but it's probably going to remain a mystery!
GKC
Seasoned Member

Return to Range Reports