A couple of more days at the range...

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

A couple of more days at the range...

Postby GregT » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:10 pm

The wife and I went to the range yesterday to shoot some of our carry guns. Started off shooting the SCCY with Blazer Brass... and was shooting 6" to 10" low at 7 yards. Shot three mags like this. I asked the guy next to me to try, and he did the same... all shots really low. I was thinking something was wrong with the SCCY, so started shooting the Shield... also with the Blazer Brass... and it shot dead on... even at 25 yards. I tried shooting a couple of more mags through the SCCY... still the sh*ts, so I gave up and came home.

I got up this morning and thought I would try it again but with different ammo... so drove the 20 miles to the range and gave it another try. I started shooting Winchester White Box, and the SCCY was shooting a fist size grouping. Thought I would try the Blazer Brass again... and it shot way low again. I tried a different box of the Blazer and it shot a little better but still low... something is just not right with the Blazer Brass and the SCCY. The Shield was dead on with all the ammo.

So... I have about 400 rounds through the SCCY without any feed, bang or ejecting problems... but the shooting low with the Blazer is disconcerting. I shot the Blazer the first time out and had no problems... so not sure what is going on.

My front frame pin is now walking out with each mag I shoot... I will have to contact SCCY this week and get the larger frame pins and see if that works.

I'm probably going to quit carrying the SCCY... at least for now... and go back to my Shield or M&P 9C. After I get the new frame pins and I try shooting it again I will either retire it to the safe... or possibly sell it.. not sure yet. If I decide to sell it... I will check here first to see if anyone might be interested.
GregT
Forum Regular

Re: A couple of more days at the range...

Postby GregT » Fri May 13, 2016 2:03 pm

Just got back from the range a couple of hours ago. The SCCY once again had no malfunctions... after 500 or so rounds. HOWEVER... the new frame pin still walks... so that was a useless fix.

I shot different ammo this time... didn't shoot to shabby a grouping this time out. I even shot some Israeli HP this time... those held a pretty tight grouping... although not sure how good an HP they are.

Anyone want to buy a SCCY? :D
GregT
Forum Regular

Postby GregT » Fri May 13, 2016 4:32 pm

parkerd wrote:I beg to differ. The frame pin walking out is indeed a malfunction and a major major major malfunction. Would anyone carry a self defense weapon knowing that at any point the frame could fall apart?

Knew I would hear from you... hence the comment of no malfunctions... rather than the no feed/bang issues as I usually say. I could have quoted you word for word before you even posted on what you were going to post. :D

And no... I'm not carrying the SCCY... as my first post above indicated. I will either sell it... or make it a safe gun for the time being... and try to fix the pin issue someday if I get overly bored.
GregT
Forum Regular

Postby economod » Fri May 13, 2016 5:44 pm

GregT wrote:... My front frame pin is now walking out with each mag I shoot... I will have to contact SCCY this week and get the larger frame pins and see if that works.

... HOWEVER... the new frame pin still walks... so that was a useless fix.

Did you install the oversize pin(s) yourself, or did sccy?
Just the front pin?
Was there any adhesive used ... Superglue, Threadlocker, silicone, etc?

I'm just curious about what was done, that subsequently didn't work.
- thanks
2016 SCCY WOOD SHIMS > viewtopic.php?p=50025#p50025
9mm AMMO LENGTH > viewtopic.php?p=48248#p48248
CPX2 DESTROYED > viewtopic.php?p=51413#p51413
economod
Veteran Member

Postby GregT » Fri May 13, 2016 6:05 pm

The pin(s) they sent were not oversize... but had some kind of rough coating on them. Which... the best I can tell... just came off while installing.

It is only the front pin that is walking... first to one side... then the other.

If I get bored enough... I might get out the old McMaster Carr catalog and order a roll pin and give that a try... or make something myself.
GregT
Forum Regular

Postby economod » Fri May 13, 2016 6:24 pm

GregT wrote:... If I get bored enough... I might get out the old McMaster Carr catalog and order a roll pin and give that a try... or make something myself.

Here's a headstart ... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17399&start=15#p49249
My front pin only moved 1/32", then the frame cracked at the rear pin because the aluminum receiver fit too loose from being milled too short when new. I suggest full 1" pins instead of the 15/16" OEM. Good luck!
economod
Veteran Member

Postby GregT » Fri May 13, 2016 6:46 pm

The pins they sent are longer than the original...
GregT
Forum Regular

Postby economod » Sat May 14, 2016 7:37 am

GregT wrote:The pins they sent are longer than the original...

Well, that's a step in the right direction.

You're right about any adhesive coating rubbing off of a solid dowel while being inserted.
And knurled or crimped pins could damage the aluminum receiver with repeated extractions.
Coiled spring pins without an adhesive may hold better than solid dowels.
Simple slotted spring pins with an adhesive might be the most reusable solution. hth
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-spring-pins/=12emq89
economod
Veteran Member

Postby GregT » Sat May 14, 2016 8:42 am

Thanks... I guess I'm showing my age... never thought about looking online at McMaster Carr. :whist:

A roll pin should keep the pin from moving axially... better suited for that than a solid dowel.

If it were not for the walking pin... this would be a great little gun for the wife. She shoots it better than her Shield for some reason... go figure.

Thanks again for the link.
GregT
Forum Regular

Postby rogertc1 » Sat May 14, 2016 4:17 pm

Keep in mind pakerd is a troll. He hates SCCY, Ignore. :roll:
I HAVE MORE GUNS THAN YOU.
rogertc1
Premium Member

Postby arcus10mm » Sat May 14, 2016 5:22 pm

A few more buba gunsmith solutions viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17405&p=49248#p49248
arcus10mm
Veteran Member

Postby rogertc1 » Sun May 15, 2016 5:07 am

Haters will hate. Why keep posting hate here. Kind of Troll like parked. The problem are pretty low for the 20,000 SCCYs produced each year. Just look at the Taurus haters on the web. :bdh:
I HAVE MORE GUNS THAN YOU.
rogertc1
Premium Member

Return to Range Reports