First time to the range with my SCCY

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

First time to the range with my SCCY

Postby Drec » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:58 am

Yesterday I went to the range to try this guy out and I was pleasantly surprised. It actually shot better that our Glock 43, at least I shot it better than the Glock. I ran about 50 rounds through it and had 1 fail to chamber; which seemed rather odd. I popped the magazine and reinserted the cartridge back it and it failed again. I then looked at the bullet and noticed some marks on it then tried again; which this time it fired. I then shot some of my other guns and am looking forward to going back next week for a do over.
Drec
Forum Regular

Re: First time to the range with my SCCY

Postby getvicious » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:15 pm

Good to hear it worked well for you at the range. Do you think that one odd round was just not right in some way (the marks you mentioned)?
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Drec » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:07 pm

I didn't notice anything different when I loaded the magazine. Next time I'll pay more attention before I shoot. I'm going to take the gun apart to clean and oil it before shooting it again. It was somewhere in the middle of the magazine when it failed. I just pulled it out, reracked it and kept shooting. Then reloaded it in the magazine by itself a couple of times before it fired.
Drec
Forum Regular

Postby Drec » Wed May 04, 2016 11:48 pm

Went back to the range tonight and ran about 60 rounds through her without any problems. Except for one of my magazines is not handling the cartridges right. If I load the magazine, then rack the slide, it will chamber the first cartridge. After firing, the next cartridge will not chamber, so I rack to eject the unfired cartridge and the next round chambers. So every other round, it goes like that. So after the last round is fired, I have five unfired cartridges sitting on the table. I take these 5 cartridges and load them in another magazine, and they all chamber and shoot without any problems. In the next day or two, I'll try to compare the magazines, to see if I can see any differences. It almost looked like the magazine wasn't releasing the cartridges to go into the chamber.
Drec
Forum Regular

Postby economod » Thu May 05, 2016 10:40 am

parkerd wrote:A lot of SCCY owners confuse me. ...

Everyone starts in the same place, and draw their own conclusions from their personal experience.
When a gun is new, you want it to work, and overlook initial inconveniences as a learning experience.
Frequently repeated failures are lessons eventually learned. That takes some time.

After 500 rounds thru mu CPX, I wish I could say I still have hope for its success.
But my experiences won't allow it. I regret buying it, and would never recommend SCCY to a friend.
The temporary warrany repairs & coverup are an embarrassment to the firearm industry in general.
Wooden shims show me that the manufacturer thinks very little of their products or their customers.
2016 SCCY WOOD SHIMS > viewtopic.php?p=50025#p50025
9mm AMMO LENGTH > viewtopic.php?p=48248#p48248
CPX2 DESTROYED > viewtopic.php?p=51413#p51413
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Drec » Thu May 05, 2016 11:20 am

What I encountered was one magazine that didn't work right. My other magazine worked flawlessly. I described that every other round on the one magazine wouldn't chamber.
Drec
Forum Regular

Postby Drec » Thu May 05, 2016 11:37 am

parkerd wrote:A lot of SCCY owners confuse me. They will state their CPX operated "flawlessly" or "perfectly", and then continue with describing a number of issues that occurred during their time at the range.
You state you fired 60 rounds without any problems.....except for those rounds that didn't load. Well geez, that is a huge gigantic unacceptable problem with any firearm, especially a self defense weapon.
But, maybe I am too picky in expecting a gun to fire every time I pull the the trigger.

I expect a gun to fire perfectly as well. I suppose during my break in of this gun, I was looking at the component (magazine) as failing because after transferring of the cartridges into another magazine, they all fired without a problem. Until I felt that the gun was working without any hiccups, I wouldn't be carrying it.

As an aside, I just got off of the phone with SCCY service. They are sending me new mag bodies, and because the serial number falls within a certain range, a slide and barrel as well. So I should have these new pieces install before the next range visit for the SCCY. Other than the one mag, it has performed well.
Drec
Forum Regular

Postby economod » Thu May 05, 2016 12:29 pm

Per this forum, defective magazines have been a random problem for several years.
And voluntary replacement slides and barrels appear to be a more recent go-to remedy.
At least that's quicker and less expensive than shipping the entire weapon more than once.
I hope it proves to be effective for your pistol. Also watch closely for self-drifting frame pins. hth
economod
Veteran Member

Postby randy726w » Mon May 09, 2016 1:54 pm

After 500 rounds thru mu CPX, I wish I could say I still have hope for its success..............

I'm not sure what you mean by temporary warranty repairs. Most experiences I've read about have been positive. I bought mine in December last year and had multiple FTF's and FTE's every time I went to the range which is every Saturday not to mention from December to April I had 3 broken ejectors. I live in Orlando so I would just drive up to Daytona Beach and they would fix it while I waited. This last time they replaced everything on it and agreed to give me a new gun if it the repairs didn't work. I've shot 4 consecutive weekends since then, about 500 rounds and have not had one failure. It is apparently fixed and if not they were willing to replace it anyway. It's been a pretty good warranty from my standpoint. Speak with Danice in customer service and Jason in the shop if you're having problems. They'll fix it up. I love this gun.
randy726w

Postby economod » Mon May 09, 2016 2:10 pm

randy726w wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by temporary warranty repairs. ...

My brand new $250+tax CPX2 was newly assembled with a scrap aluminum receiver.

After firing 480 rounds with a variety of failures, the front frame pin moved a mere 1/32", and the short-rail, loose-in-frame, scrap receiver caused the polymer frame to crack. Instead of replacing the obvious factory-defective receiver, SCCY warranty service chose to cover it up by tucking wooden shims behind it, low and out-of-sight, then super-glued the frame pins into the new polymer. After fifteen days and one status inquiry, they shipped it back to me without any service report.

But after firing just forty more rounds, the wooden shims had arisen into sight and began to get whittled off by the back edge of the slide. That temporary warranty repair is why I had to ship it back to SCCY (3rd time) on Apr-11 for replacement. I was originally told it may take a week, but on Apr-28, SCCY emailed me stating they expect it may be returned "within the first week of June".

I tried real hard to enjoy this weapon, but I sorely regret buying it, and will never recommend it to anyone.
Wooden shims in a firearm is an emergency field repair. But from a factory warranty service, it's despicable.
This on-going exploit is well documented in my Range Report topic entitled "Cracked Frame at Rear Pin" ...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17399
economod
Veteran Member

Postby randy726w » Tue May 10, 2016 6:41 am

Yeh, I must say that would do it in for me as well. I would demand a new gun. When I did that they agreed but since the last repairs on mine worked I'm reserving judgment for now.
randy726w

Postby economod » Tue May 10, 2016 6:49 am

I hope all of the SCCY's that work keep-on working. Will be selling mine when it gets back ... if it's fixed.
Now own a SAR B6P ($252 net). It's a great high-capacity pistol for range / home defense / winter carry.
Am considering a small affordable Taurus for concealment ... 738TCP - 709SLIM - 111G2 ... all good. hth
economod
Veteran Member

Postby stevemphipps666 » Tue May 10, 2016 9:33 pm

I know that issue I have one magazine that with fmj does not feed right but no issues with hollow points. It's like the round gets caught on something. So I oiled my spring. I hope that will fix it other than that I have had on issues with the gun itself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
stevemphipps666

Postby Drec » Wed May 11, 2016 12:35 am

economod wrote:.......................Now own a SAR B6P ($252 net). It's a great high-capacity pistol for range / home defense / winter carry...................

You'll like the SAR B6P; which one did you get? They made two, one with a 3.8" barrel and one with a 4.5" barrel. They also made a SAR B6; which was all steel and had a 4.5" barrel. I have the SAR B6 and the SAR B6P compact (3.8" barrel). They are good shooters; which it seems to me shoot better than some of the lighter/smaller guns.
Drec
Forum Regular

Postby economod » Wed May 11, 2016 1:24 am

Drec wrote:You'll like the SAR B6P; which one did you get?

I've got the full-size polymer frame B6P 4.5" 16+1 400422. It's a great gun. Does everything well. Accurate at long range due to the nice SA trigger. Can fill the magazine by hand with 17 rounds. Can alternate various rounds within a mag. Extra mags available by Mec-Gar MGCZ7517AFC. Added a $6 eBay grip sleeve with finger grooves. It's slender & lightweight enough to be comfortable to carry. Just too long for me to conceal in summertime apparel. When new, the DA trigger and safety were stiff, but quickly became much easier with use. It's been perfect. Fit & finish is excellent. Maintainance is simple ... can disassemble the firing pin without tools. And, after a rebate, it cost less than the sccy. Very pleased.
https://eaacorp.com/index.php/guns/hand ... silmaz-116
economod
Veteran Member

Next

Return to Range Reports