First time to the range with my SCCY

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

Re: First time to the range with my SCCY

Postby Drec » Wed May 11, 2016 4:07 pm

economod wrote:I've got the full-size polymer frame B6P 4.5" 16+1 400422. It's a great gun. Does everything well. Accurate at long range due to the nice SA trigger. Can fill the magazine by hand with 17 rounds. Can alternate various rounds within a mag. Extra mags available by Mec-Gar MGCZ7517AFC. Added a $6 eBay grip sleeve with finger grooves. It's slender & lightweight enough to be comfortable to carry. Just too long for me to conceal in summertime apparel. ................

If you find one take a look at the SARS B6P with the 3.8" barrel, you might that one too. It uses a different magazine though. The B6P that you have uses the same magazine as the B6 that I have.
Drec
Forum Regular

Postby economod » Wed May 11, 2016 4:24 pm

Drec wrote:If you find one take a look at the SARS B6P with the 3.8" barrel, you might that one too. It uses a different magazine though. The B6P that you have uses the same magazine as the B6 that I have.

Yeah, I debated with myself when choosing my SAR B6P 4.5" full-size versus the 3.8" compact.
Very happy with my choice, as it fits the purpose better as my range toy / home defense weapon.
Am considering the Taurus PT-738-TCP .380acp for the purpose of lightweight deep concealment.

If I was building a collection, I'd consider the SAR K2P.
It has that 3.8" compact barrel, but still uses the same full-size mags.
I really like all of those reliable-durable-affordable CZ style pistols. Cheers!
economod
Veteran Member

Postby economod » Thu May 12, 2016 7:07 am

Drec wrote:If you find one take a look at the SARS B6P with the 3.8" barrel, you might that one too. It uses a different magazine though. The B6P that you have uses the same magazine as the B6 that I have.

I've watched videos of folks who've successfully swapped slides between full-size and compact B6P polymer frames.
But haven't seen it done between the steel frame and polymer frame models.
Have you tried to interchange the uppers between your steel full-size and polymer compact?
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Drec » Thu May 12, 2016 2:03 pm

economod wrote:.............Have you tried to interchange the uppers between your steel full-size and polymer compact?

A couple of months ago I had both guns apart at the same time and almost put the compact barrel on the all steel gun. I'll look into it a little more and let you know. Turning the all steel gun into a compact would kind of cool.

Back to the SCCY, I got all of the parts (mag housings, barrel and slide) from SCCY yesterday. I'll try to get the gun back to the range tomorrow and report back

When I called SCCY, they told me they would send me the maghousings and do whatever I wanted with the old housings. Then they asked for the serial number of my gun; which they then told me that they were going to send me another barrel and slide. There wasn't anything else in the box, no paperwork or anything, should I assume that I'm supposed to send them (the old barrel and slide) back to them?
Drec
Forum Regular

Postby economod » Thu May 12, 2016 2:16 pm

Drec wrote:... Turning the all steel gun into a compact would kind of cool.

8) It just might work! It's been done before, between polymer frame models. Check out YouTube videos.
Here's one (there are others) ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsMfJMvYNOk
Question : Does the safety lever on your steel B6 operate in reverse of your polymer B6Pc?
It may not matter anyway, since it's frame mounted.

Drec wrote:... There wasn't anything else in the box, no paperwork or anything, should I assume that I'm supposed to send them (the old barrel and slide) back to them?

If they didn't send a shipping label, I wouldn't worry about it.
Last edited by economod on Thu May 12, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Drec » Thu May 12, 2016 2:50 pm

I took apart the gun and compared the old slide and barrel with the new ones. The new barrel has a smoother finish. The slide, I don't see a lot of difference with except that "SCCY" on the left side is outlined in white. I swapped the housings and didn't see any notable differences. I'll get it out to the range tomorrow though.
Drec
Forum Regular

Postby Drec » Thu May 12, 2016 3:02 pm

economod wrote:.............................Question : Does the safety lever on your steel B6 operate in reverse of your polymer B6Pc?
It probably won't matter anyway, since it's frame is mounted.

Yes the safety operates in reverse of the B6Pc. Does the safety on yours operate the same as the B6Pc? I would think so, as I think that they use the same manual; which is different for both of my SARS guns.

What is interesting is that EAA doesn't show all three guns on their website, you have to dig for the info on all of them. Anyway, both guns are good shooters.
Drec
Forum Regular

Postby economod » Thu May 12, 2016 3:08 pm

Drec wrote:Yes the safety operates in reverse of the B6Pc. Does the safety on yours operate the same as the B6Pc?

Yes ... On my B6P, up is safe, down is fire.

Drec wrote:What is interesting is that EAA doesn't show all three guns on their website, you have to dig for the info on all of them.

Yeah, I liked their website a lot better before they improved it a few months ago.
Here's a site from Sarsilmaz ... http://www.sarsilmaz.com/en-us/b6-black/559/page.aspx
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Drec » Thu May 12, 2016 9:14 pm

economod wrote:Yeah, I liked their website a lot better before they improved it a few months ago.
Here's a site from Sarsilmaz ... http://www.sarsilmaz.com/en-us/b6-black/559/page.aspx

The B6 that they show is a B6P. It's like the all steel B6 doesn't exist.
Drec
Forum Regular

Postby economod » Fri May 13, 2016 10:41 am

OK ... The steel frame SAR B6 HAWK is also known as the SAR KILINC 2000.
http://www.sarsilmaz.com/en-us/mega-siyah/676/page.aspx
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Drec » Tue May 17, 2016 4:14 pm

I wasn't able to get back to the range until today. The parts from SCCY came in (2 magazine cases, new barrel and a new slide). So I pulled the apart, cleaned and lubed, reassembled it with the new parts. So today was range day and the SCCY did good. I put 50 rounds through it with no hiccups. None of the problems that I had before, so we'll just have to see how it does next time. I still shoot my SARS better than the SCCY, but I'm working on that.
Drec
Forum Regular

Postby Drec » Tue May 24, 2016 1:00 am

We went back to the range today. I put another 50 rounds through her and no problems. I'll keep looking for other issues, but so far so good. I will be modifying/filing the trigger edges though. :)
Drec
Forum Regular

Postby Pony Soldier » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:03 pm

Take a look at "Birch Wood Casey Dirty Bird" targets at maybe Cabelas site or elsewhere and maybe think about making up your own like this that identify a hit.
If any of you have feed bags for stock or even bird feed that has a polymer mesh make up you might want to try this and save some of your money.
Cut that type of mesh bag to make up sections similar to your regular size targets and get an inexpensive can of spray paint from Lowe's etc. and spray
a pattern on the non printed side of the piece. Make it round or square with a cut out pattern of cardboard overlay to spray the paint. After drying take it to
the range. Your shots will rupture the weave of the target fabric, AFFECTING the paint, and give you a 1 inch clear impact site that is better than the
"Birch Wood Casey" result for identification of the hit. Give it a try, you might be surprised, and save money.
Pony Soldier
Seasoned Member

Postby getvicious » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:38 am

DIY splatter targets?

Get some bright colored construction paper. Walmart and places like Hobby Lobby sell packs for not much money.

Get some target dots or craft dots. Again, Walmart and places like Hobby Lobby sell packs of dots for not much money.

Get some cheap 2 inch wide packing tape. The cheaper the better.

Get some cheap spray paint. Flat black works well but any color that contrasts with the paper is good.

Cover one side of a sheet of colored paper with the packing tape.

Spray paint the tape covered side and let it dry.

Attach a few target dots or draw on the paint with a marker.

Hang up your target and start shooting. The bullet will knock the paint off the tape leaving a bright colored circle about an inch wide visible against the paint on top. Works great with BB / pellet guns as well as "real" guns.

There are other ways to make splatter targets too. Just google homemade splatter targets and you'll find several versions.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Previous

Return to Range Reports