Slide locking back with rounds still in mag

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

Slide locking back with rounds still in mag

Postby slong115 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:28 am

The last two times I took my CPX2 to the range, I have had issues with the slide locking back before the magazine is empty. It is happening several times while shooting a full mag and it is doing it regardless of which magazine I am using. Once it started happening, I paid special attention to be sure I am not limp-wristing while firing (and during the 1st 300 rounds or so when I first got the gun, I had no problems). All I need to do to keep firing is actuate the slide-release and I can get a few more rounds to fire before it locks back again.

I had two other experienced shooter friends fire the SCCY the first time I noticed this at the range and it happened to them, too, so something is going on with the pistol.

Right before this started, I did install a new recoil rod assembly that SCCY had sent to me at my request. There was no problem with the previous one but they had changed to a newer version and I wanted to keep my pistol up-to-date. I had also changed over to shooting Winchester White Box 115gr ammo as I was able to get that the most easily once the ammo shortage started easing. I bought over 600 rounds of it at the time. I have a Taurus PT111 G2 that eats the Winchester rounds like candy (as well as every other ammo I have fed it) so I suppose it is possible that my SCCY just doesn't like it, but I am not sure at this point.

Any ideas of something that I could check or do I need to contact SCCY and possibly send it back to the "mother ship' for repair? I have noticed that the slide release has spring tension when a mag is inserted but when I remove the mag the release pretty much stays in whatever position I put it in. I only have this one CPX2 so I do not know if this is normal or not.

Oh, I also noticed after the first problem range session that it had some carbon/gunk build-up on the feed ramp that was a bear to remove. I thought that might have been the issue but after cleaning it, I also polished the feed ramp lightly to make it smoother....but the slide-locking back issue is still happening.
Scott
USMC '69-'73
slong115
Forum Regular

Re: Slide locking back with rounds still in mag

Postby economod » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:08 am

slong115 wrote:... I have noticed that the slide release has spring tension when a mag is inserted but when I remove the mag the release pretty much stays in whatever position I put it in. ...

The slide hold 01-036 lever is supposed to be held down by the slide hold spring 01-028, until an empty magazine pushes it up. Somehow, that has failed. Call SCCY.
Attachments
SCCY-Parts-31.jpg
economod
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:43 pm

You might check the slide hold back lever and the spring but, if I remember right, you need to take the receiver out of the frame to do that. If you're up to that you can certainly do that. No mater what you do, you will not void your warranty so working on your pistol is entirely your call.

It's never a bad idea to call SCCY.

The WWB ammo should work fine. I've fired a bunch of it thru my CPX over the years without any issue, as have many people on the forum.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby slong115 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:52 pm

Thanks for the info, guys! I'll give SCCY a call this week.

Luckily this will not be my carry weapon. I'll keep it for fun because I really like to shoot it. But, for my self defense weapons, I have a Ruger LCR and a Taurus PT111 G2, both of which have been 100% reliable and both have my total confidence. The SCCY was 100% until now but I won't carry it until I get a few hundred more rounds through it after this problem is fixed. Even then I might not trust it enough to carry it. It will take a long time to restore that trust, I'm afraid. But for a range gun, it is really fun to shoot.

I would have no problem taking it apart and fixing it myself except that I had one frame pin walking out (the rear one) and called SCCY. They sent me two new pins and I was able to replace the rear one with a new pin but the front one didn't seem to want to budge when I went to punch it out so I just left it in there. Never been a problem with that one moving. Since it was so difficult to deal with, I might just let SCCY handle the whole thing and do any other updates to the pistol if there are any. rather than me pounding the daylights out of it to get that front pin removed. I have had this CPX2 going on 3 years, maybe more.
Scott
USMC '69-'73
slong115
Forum Regular

Postby getvicious » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:43 pm

If you want to send it back to SCCY be sure they send you a prepaid shipping label.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Mrbone » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:08 pm

Same thing happened to me. If the front pin walks out the spring slips off of the slide release. Just put the spring back and put loctite on the pins.
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Postby Pony Soldier » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:53 pm

The CPX 2 that I purchased in 2014 had a problem with the cracked frame (rear) serial #14xxxxx. Returned to SCCY and that was corrected, in addition to a new recoil rod/spring, an extractor, and firing pin. You might question why you have to do any corrections, or your gunsmith, to bring the piece back into operating standards.
Pony Soldier
Seasoned Member

Postby slong115 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:02 pm

Well, I was able to get the front frame pin out with a 1/16 punch (much better than the finish nail I used to try to get it out the last time) and was able to see that the slide release lever had popped over the top of the hold spring. This might have happened when I was attempting to replace the frame pins last year. I have everything back and it seems to function normally but I haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet to make sure. If the problem is corrected, this was actually a very easy repair to do. Hopefully it will save me sending it back to the mother ship for them to fix it.
Scott
USMC '69-'73
slong115
Forum Regular

Return to Range Reports