1st time shooting CPX-2

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

1st time shooting CPX-2

Postby scott1970 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:56 pm

Hello everyone,

I put 140 rounds through my brand new (just picked it up yesterday evening). Combination of Winchester white box and American Eagle 115 grain.

Really fun to shoot this gun. This is the first handgun that I have bought and am really pleased with it so far. Only 1 FTF out of 140 which I don't think is bad for a brand new gun (but what do I know :) ) My wife even emptied 2 mags. Grip is a little thick for her hands so we will have to find her something else, but she enjoyed it too.

As stated I am really really happy with it so far.

Scott
CPX-2
EAA Tanfoglio Witness P
scott1970

Re: 1st time shooting CPX-2

Postby hitmanharleyk » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:39 am

We found the same thing with my wife and the CPX-2, the grip was a little wide for her. I ended up getting her a Ruger LCP 9's which is thinner, but she is having trouble unlocking the slide on it because of the small lock button.

I haven't read much on the CPX 3, being a 380 is it any smaller?
hitmanharleyk

Postby fla-gypsy » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:17 pm

The CPX3 will be slightly shorter but still use the double stack magazine.
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
fla-gypsy
Forum Regular

Postby scott1970 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:40 pm

Went to the local range and put another 100 rounds through the CPX-2. They had AE ammo on sale so I went ahead and used that. Had 1 FTE (the first) and 6 FTF. I had several FTF on the last box of AE. so I guess AE ammo is not what to use on my CPX...

Have not yet tried any defence ammo..wanted to get proficient aiming before I spend the money on some defence ammo.

Just wanted to update..

Scott
CPX-2
EAA Tanfoglio Witness P
scott1970

Postby economod » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:02 pm

Be sure to disassemble your magazines, and clean & lightly lube inside. It's simple.
And when re-attaching the spring to the follower, be sure it's pushing the rounds "nose-up".

imband
economod
Veteran Member

Postby scott1970 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:53 pm

economod wrote:Be sure to disassemble your magazines, and clean & lightly lube inside. It's simple.
And when re-attaching the spring to the follower, be sure it's pushing the rounds "nose-up".

imband

Thanks for the reminder. I had not done that, but it is done now. Will see what it is like next time out.

Also noticed that the front pin had started working out. Punched it back in but will keep an eye on it.

Scott
CPX-2
EAA Tanfoglio Witness P
scott1970

Postby tripleb » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:12 am

scott1970 wrote:Also noticed that the front pin had started working out. Punched it back in but will keep an eye on it.

Scott

Scott, go ahead and remove the pin, clean the hole and pin with alcohol, apply Blue Loctite to the pin and re-install.
tripleb
Seasoned Member

Postby economod » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:18 am

scott1970 wrote:Went to the local range and put another 100 rounds through the CPX-2. They had AE ammo on sale so I went ahead and used that. Had 1 FTE (the first) and 6 FTF. I had several FTF on the last box of AE. so I guess AE ammo is not what to use on my CPX... ...

Your Witness-P probably functions very well with WWB and AE (and everything else).
Your particular CPX may cycle more reliably with shorter ammo.
Remingtion UMC L9MM3 115gr is about .040" shorter overall.
It's worth a try, if only to help regain some confidence. hth

imband
economod
Veteran Member

Postby scott1970 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:26 pm

Tried 2 different ammo this time. Blazer Brass and some Remington UMC, as well as some cheap independence hollow points (115 gr).

Had some issues with the Blazer. 2 FTF and one stove piped in the chamber. The Remington seemed to be OK I believe. The Independence has some FTF, it is about the same length as the UMC ammo.

Overall not bad. I'll keep working on trying to find the ammo it likes. Maybe try some 124 or 147 GR to see what that does.

And the Witness P did spit out everything I put in it :)

Scott
CPX-2
EAA Tanfoglio Witness P
scott1970

Postby economod » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:52 pm

That Blazer Brass is a fairly long cartridge, too. See the link in my signature.
Maybe call sccy, and explain the FTFeeds with WWB, AE, BB, but no failures with UMC.
They might send you a couple new magazines.

Try some Speer Lawman 147gr Flat Nose.
It has a shorter cartridge length, and noticeably milder recoil in a cpx.
But of course, the nicer the nice, the higher the price.

Did you fix your front pin?

Yeah, your Italian Witness-P, and my Turkish B6P, are both polymer frame variants of the Czech CZ75B.
Classic design, durable, inexpensive, accurate, reliable.
Highly recommended for target and home defense.
Mine wears a tacky rubber grip sleeve ($6 eBay).

imband
economod
Veteran Member

Postby scott1970 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:51 pm

economod wrote:That Blazer Brass is a fairly long cartridge, too. See the link in my signature.
Maybe call sccy, and explain the FTFeeds with WWB, AE, BB, but no failures with UMC.
They might send you a couple new magazines.

Try some Speer Lawman 147gr Flat Nose.
It has a shorter cartridge length, and noticeably milder recoil in a cpx.
But of course, the nicer the nice, the higher the price.

Did you fix your front pin?

Yeah, your Italian Witness-P, and my Turkish B6P, are both polymer frame variants of the Czech CZ75B.
Classic design, durable, inexpensive, accurate, reliable.
Highly recommended for target and home defense.
Mine wears a tacky rubber grip sleeve ($6 eBay).

imband

Thanks. I'll look for the lawman this weekend before I shoot a few more rounds. I did pick up some 124 gr ammo to see what it would do.
Will be fixing the pin prior to taking it out.
Scott
CPX-2
EAA Tanfoglio Witness P
scott1970

Postby scott1970 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:27 am

So here is the latest...

Remington 115 gr UMC FMJ - 60 rounds - no issues
AE 124 gr FMJ - inserted the clip, racked the slide -- and it didn't feed. Had to tap the slide to get it in - out of the first clip 4 ftf and at least 2 "delayed" feeds. It fed but there was a slight delay before it did.
WWB 124 gr fmj - 2 clips - 5 ftf and several of the delayed feeds. One fte

I had changed the base plate of one of the magazines so I could differentiate between the two. It does not seem to be a mag issue as I rotated the ammo between the two clips. No issues at all with the shorter remington ammo.

So I guess the shorter ammo is the way to go with my CPX-2.

I also used the blue locktite on both the pins. I don't know if I didn't get enough on the front pin as it still walked out some. I'll pull it and put some more on before the next shooting session. I am also going to contact SCCY about the pin.

Scott
CPX-2
EAA Tanfoglio Witness P
scott1970

Postby economod » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:15 am

Having over 300 rounds fired, cleaned & lubed, it should be broken-in by now.

If you allowed enough time for the Loctite to cure (24hrs), then it may need oversize pins.

If it won't feed longer ammo, it's generally a magazine problem, but not necessarily.
Loose QC makes it difficult to diagnose. Easier to just start swapping parts ...
Magazines (not clips), recoil assembly, barrel, mag disconnect, etc.
Maybe they'll send you a new ... whatever.

I also tried to convince myself that shorter ammo "only" was ok, until the frame cracked.
And when it returned with a new frame, I discovered the temporary wooden shims bs.
There are not many uses for an unreliable firearm. Call sccy. Let us know. Good luck.

imband
economod
Veteran Member

Postby economod » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:07 pm

Keep in mind that the aluminum receiver is mounted in the polymer frame completely independent of the magazine. If the loose frame pins are allowing the receiver to move backward within the frame during recoil, the chambered round draws closer to the next round in the magazine, causing feed failures, or what I've called extraction interference, with longer ammo. Shorter ammo works because the receiver doesn't move that far back.

Maybe that's what's happening, due to the loose frame pins. Maybe not. Shorter ammo can mask other problems too.
Having owned the over-priced sccy makes me appreciate the superior quality and reliability of my less expensive SAR.

imband
economod
Veteran Member

Postby wrench459 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:27 pm

scott1970 wrote:
So I guess the shorter ammo is the way to go with my CPX-2.

Scott

Scott maybe you've got a CPX-3 .380 :mrgreen:
wrench459
Veteran Member

Next

Return to Range Reports