1st 100-rds

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

1st 100-rds

Postby CB236 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:39 pm

I just did return from a trip to the range where I shot a variety of pistols. I started with my PT100 (.40 S&W) which was smooth as silk, as usual. I followed that with my Taurus m66 357 mag, PT1911 45 ACP, then jumped into the CPX-2 with both feet. I have to admit that I did not expect it to be as snappy as it was. (Wincherster 115 FMJ). But then, both of my 9 mm's will be considered large frames, PT92 and PT911. Yes, I do have an affection for Taurus firearms.

I did find the CPX-2 trigger pull to be long and distracting for the first 10 to 15-rounds. All of my semi-auto's are SA/DA which contributed to the distraction of the DAO CPX. Also, I did have a few reset failures at first as well. That was completely my fault. The sights are easy to see and to line up on the target. Although I didn't have any FTF or FTE's, I did start having quite a few FTB (Failure to Battery) issues from 70 to 90 rounds, or, the 7th, 8th, & 9th mag. I shot 100 rounds total. Not sure what caused the FTB's although I did notice that my wrist was getting tired and sore. After all, I had already shot 200-rounds before I stared shooting the CPX so fatigue could be the reason. No physical damage, cracks, pin walking, etc... resulted from the 100-rounds I shot. Next time I go to the range, I will shoot the CPX first. Also, I think I will wear my shooting gloves next time as well.
I Reload, Therefore, I Am
CB236

Re: 1st 100-rds

Postby economod » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:20 pm

It's fairly common for folks to report that replacement recoil assemblies are noticeably stronger than the original.
Sccy might mail you a new one if you call them and explain the FTB's. hth

imband
economod
Veteran Member

Postby CB236 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:02 pm

I plan on shooting again soon to see if I continue to have the FTB issue and if it is isolated to a particular mag. (Notice I didn't say "CLIP" LOL!)
CB236

Postby economod » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:09 pm

ha!
economod
Veteran Member

Postby CB236 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:45 pm

Made a trip to Tallahassee this week and on the way home today, I stopped by the Columbia County range. Shot my Argentine Model 1891 and Yugo M48 Mausers - Very happy with their performance since I recently replaced the firing pin springs on both of them. Also sent some rounds down the tube of my Taurus PT945. Then came out the CPX-2. Once again, I had issues with FTB after about 50-rounds had been shot.

The range manager saw me having problems and so he came over to my position to offer his assistance. Turns out that he also has a CPX-2 and shoots it quite often. He said that his gun did the same thing as mine until he performed two modifications; he polished the feed ramp and the slide rails. Since then, not a single issue with his CPX-2. I have no problem polishing the feed ramp as I have a conical stone for my Dremel. I will have to check into the slide rail issue as far as the tool(s) needed to preform that task.

BTW - If you live in North FL, and you haven't visited the Columbia County Range, do yourself a favor and go there. It's well maintained, has room for probably 20 pistol shooting positions at 25-yards, and a rifle range with targets up to 200-yards. About the only restriction is no rapid fire of any weapon. Also, I think they ask you not to shoot shotguns unless using slugs.
CB236

Postby getvicious » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:51 pm

CB236 - Do you grease the rails? If not you might try that. Polishing the rails is something nwe to me. What surface - the top - the outer sides? Maybe run a really fine folded sandpaper thru the rail slots in the slide to ensure no rough places or burrs?

Only happens after about 50 rounds sounds like some sort of clearance issue after the gun gets warm and expands slightly.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby economod » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:56 pm

I used red axle grease on my cpx slide rails and barrel lockup.
That felt like it helped.

We've got a very nice DNR outdoor range here too, about 30min away.
25yd pistols, 50yd-100yd rifles/slugs, archery ... $4 all day! ... trap/skeet extra.
Best during the week, 'cause weekends are usually packed!
Good people. Interesting weapons.

ha ... greasy minds think alike.

imband
Last edited by economod on Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby CB236 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:59 pm

getvicious - to answer your question, yes, I use Tetra Gun Grease on all of my firearms.

After I posted my latest range report, I got to thinking that a piece of emery cloth or fine sandpaper should do the trick. I will fold it over a putty knife to ensure a flat surface.
CB236

Postby CB236 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:04 pm

Completed the polishing of the feed ramp and a light sanding of the top of the rails. Went to the range last Friday but didn't get a chance to shoot the CPX-2. I'm selling my Taurus Raging Bull 44Mag so I spend more time shooting it with the guy that wants to buy it. Maybe next week.
CB236

Return to Range Reports