Is this common?

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

Is this common?

Postby ursamajor » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:52 pm

I just put 100 rounds of Federal 115gr FMJ, through a NIB CPX-2. It was standard-NOT PlusP. When I got home, I used a shell casing to try and remove the takedown pin, so I could clean it. The slot just tore out like it was made of bubblegum or something. The gun can not be broken down now. The pin is stuck in there. Hafta wait till Monday to call them, as this literally just happened, and they were closed.

If I send this in, will they send it back to my address, or only to an FFL in which case I will have to pay a fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by ursamajor on Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ursamajor

Re: Is this common?

Postby Pony Soldier » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:16 pm

Your picture does not show the area you are refering to. Please adjust your camera, such as backing off to show the left side near the slide release. Thanks.
Pony Soldier
Seasoned Member

Is this common?

Postby ursamajor » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:36 pm

Pony Soldier wrote:Your picture does not show the area you are refering to. Please adjust your camera, such as backing off to show the left side near the slide release. Thanks.
It does. The take down pin-not the slide release. It's supposed to be straight across, and in the shape if a semi circle. It is now concave, and shaped like a crescent. The outer wall to the pin-the wall that allows a tool or rim of a casing to go into the pin-like a pocket, is gone. Here, I will circle it and zoom in

*edit I saw that Tapatalk was making the photo too big. Had to resize.

ursamajor

Postby wrench459 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:17 pm

ursamajor wrote:

Yep happens all the time in this neck of the woods.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby economod » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:35 am

The disassembly pin won't come out until the slide is locked back.
It might be an unrestricted part ... if you can get it out, they might mail a new one to your home.

Also, the photo looks like maybe the wire of the slide-hold spring became detached.
If so, consider sending that new gun back. They might email a shipping label to you.
After repair, it should be returned it to your address. Shouldn't cost anything. hth
2016 SCCY WOOD SHIMS > viewtopic.php?p=50025#p50025
9mm AMMO LENGTH > viewtopic.php?p=48248#p48248
CPX2 DESTROYED > viewtopic.php?p=51413#p51413
economod
Veteran Member

Postby ursamajor » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:45 am

economod wrote:The disassembly pin won't come out until the slide is locked back.
It might be an unrestricted part ... if you can get it out, they might mail a new one to your home.

Also, the photo looks like maybe the wire of the slide-hold spring became detached.
If so, consider sending that new gun back. They might email a shipping label to you.
After repair, it should be returned it to your address. Shouldn't cost anything. hth
cool. Yeah, I locked the slide open before I tried to remove the pin. Had a KelTec P11 for a few years. The takedown was identical.

It was a brass casing. Brass is supposed to be softer than steel. That had to have been a heat treating issue.

ursamajor

Postby economod » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:55 am

Good.

I can't tell from the photo, but if that's a wire beneath the pin, it shouldn't be there.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby ursamajor » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:41 am

economod wrote:Good.

I can't tell from the photo, but if that's a wire beneath the pin, it shouldn't be there.
Holy crap, I didn't even notice that. It is a wire. And there are fine metal shavings that I can see. My guess is that the spring has pressed the pin up onto the slide. Still can't get it out, but I've no doubt that the slide has a groove cut into it.

ursamajor

Postby economod » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:47 am

ursamajor wrote:Holy crap ...

Ha ... half right.

Look at the bright side ... your camera works great!

That's the detached spring wire from the slide-hold lever.
It happens when the thin wall of the poly frame bends too far. (shouldn't bend at all, btw)
Is this common? Only when the receiver is not secure in the frame. hmmm
If the sccy had 3 big frame pins like your old P11 this probably wouldn't happen as often.

Give them a call on Monday. They'll fix it. Welcome to the forum.

If you can push that wire down out of the way you might be able to get the pin out.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby fla-gypsy » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:54 am

Definitely broke, call Sccy and they will make it right
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
fla-gypsy
Forum Regular

Postby sccytoter » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:34 pm

Hello and welcome from Indiana! Sorry about your issue already, but with that spring stopping it from coming out, it does not surprise me that it blew that thin wall out on the retaining pin head.
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:12 pm

ursamajor - Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your issue. That really sucks. Please let us know what the resolution is and what actually caused your issue (if it's not one of the things mentioned already).
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby ursamajor » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:38 am

Well it took a couple of days and a few calls, but I got Shipping instructions and a label. I'll be sending it in today.

ursamajor

Postby economod » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:07 pm

Assuming it's still a UPS label, have a read of their policy linked below.
I dropped mine off at a nearby UPS Customer Center, but others have used scheduled pickups.
It will be returned to the address you provided for the label, and will require an adult (21) signature.

https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resou ... earms.html

Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS
Firearms (including handguns) may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account (specifically, Daily Pickup, Daily On-Route Pickup, UPS Smart Pickup®, and Day-Specific Pickup), or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes or UPS On-Call Pickup®, and may not be tendered to or dropped off at locations of The UPS Store®, any third party retailer, or any UPS Access Point™ location.

When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby PROF59 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:32 am

As to telling the driver, the only weapon I ever had stolen in shipment was an AR180 that seller told me I had to show driver the damage before packing for return. It never made it out of CT. Get a signed receipt. They probably VET drivers better now. Later.
PROF59

Next

Return to Range Reports