First time out multiple f.t.e.

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

First time out multiple f.t.e.

Postby S,r,6883 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:50 pm

Took my wife out to the range for the first time with her new cpx 2 last night. Everything went fine for the first 20 or so rounds. Then was having multiple extract issues . Im almost sure it was an ammo issue since i ran some home defense ammo in the mag i was having the extract issue with and the hd ammo didnt hang up not once . I was using winchester white box fmj 115gr and that was the ammo taht was failing to extract. It was random times . 2nd rd 7th rd last rd nothing that i could really pinpoint besides it happening with the same mag. Like i mentioned earlier i ran some hornady critical defense thru the same mag an didnt have any issues with them . My wife was kinda upset but i tried to ease her mind that some ammo just doesnt like some guns an that we would try different ammo next range visit . We ran a total of 100 wwb fmj and 20 hornady c.d. . All i can say is that im pretty impressed how the cpx shot and felt as was my wife . So for now im happy with it . Hopefully next batch of taget ammo wont hang up like the wwb did last night . Any suggestions guys?
S,r,6883

Re: First time out multiple f.t.e.

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:04 pm

Perfecta, Federal bulk (WMT), have worked for me. Describe the FTE, extractor slipped off, double feed, etc. Be sure it is clean under extractor/claw. Drop a round into the barrel, does it fall out easily? Remove the slide and slide a round under the extractor, hold the slide level and shake gently side to side. The cartridge should not fall out the bottom. Good luck and report back, you'll get it working!
SCCY CPX2 Glock 19
Sig 938 Beretta 21
Kel Tec PF9 Ruger MKI
Taurus PT111G2. Taurus TCP 738
Bersa Thunder 380
EAA Witness
Silverbullet
Forum Regular

Postby economod » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:30 pm

S,r,6883 wrote:... I was using winchester white box fmj 115gr and that was the ammo taht was failing to extract. It was random times . 2nd rd 7th rd last rd nothing that i could really pinpoint besides it happening with the same mag. Like i mentioned earlier i ran some hornady critical defense thru the same mag an didnt have any issues with them ... Any suggestions guys?

9mm WWB is relatively long ammo.
Remington UMC green/white box is about .040" shorter.
Worth a try. hth

Also, disassemble and clean/lube the magazines.
Ensure that the mag springs are assembled "nose-up" ... some were not.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby S,r,6883 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:33 pm

Ive done the mag check made sure springs were seated correctly wiped and oiled before hitting the range . I marked both mags and noticed it was only 1 mag that was haveing the extraction issue . I dont know if the cartridge was being extracted and being pushed back into the chamber or if the cartridge was just not being pulled back at all . The next round was being pushed up the feed ramp but obviously was jamming the slide because the spent cartridge was still in the barrel . I had 1 cartridge that wouldnt even come out of the barrel untill i broke the slide down and removed the barrel to try and pull the spent/stuck cartridge . Im pretty sure it is the ammo because i went thru a 100 rounds of wwb and of those hundred i can guess i had about 10-15 fail to extract issues . The 20 of the hornandy had 0 issues so im leaning on ammo issue more than mag or gun issues .
S,r,6883

Postby economod » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:18 pm

When using long ammo, my CPX had extraction interference from the next cartridge atop the mag.
Shorter Rem-UMC ammo alleviated that problem.
But it never occurred as frequently as yours.
I suspect that particular mag may need its feed lips adjusted.
I've never measured any Hornady, but most HP ammo is noticeably shorter than WWB fmj.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby wrench459 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:30 pm

I've noticed that Sccy magazine springs are very stiff right out of the box.
Most people will fully load them up then let them sit for a few days.

As far as COL of ammo I made a spreadsheet hth.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby S,r,6883 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:20 pm

Yea i let them sit for a few days even tho i was able to load all 10 without a problem in both magazines . It could possibly be the mag but i will come to that conclussion once ive tried different range ammo . Like i said earlier the hornady gave no problems . But i appreciate all the feedback from u guys . As far as the spreadsheet goes im clueless as to whats goin on there lol.
S,r,6883

Postby randy27 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:37 pm

Give it some more time. Have a kel tech p 11it had it's problems to about 200 rnds threw it. Haven't had a problem since also try different ammo. Mine loves blazer brass 124 grain.
Randy Army Infantry 81to 90
randy27
Forum Regular

Postby S,r,6883 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:42 am

Thats what im looking foward to maybe just a little break in time . But will definitly be changing ammo to see if that will clear up any issues .
S,r,6883

Postby ursamajor » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:11 pm

I shoot Winchester white box.

If your gun won't cycle it 100% reliably, something is wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ursamajor

Postby fla-gypsy » Wed May 03, 2017 4:08 pm

Call Sccy and describe the problem and they will send everything needed to make it right. My Sccy will shoot anything as it should.
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
fla-gypsy
Forum Regular

Postby S,r,6883 » Sun May 07, 2017 12:15 am

Well my sccy is off to the factory for some home lovin lol.. but yes i sent it back between my wife and i we've put somewhere between 400 and 500 rounds thru it so far . So to add to the list of non reliable ammo is federal , blazer brass, and remington . Same issues . Ran a whole lot of monarch brass (academy sports brand i think) with ZERO problems. And ive ran 100 rounds of aluminum cased federal and 100 rounds aluminum cased independance with ZERO problems . Tried brass case ammo right after and same issue. Ive been sent a new barrel slide assembly with no luck on extraction issue so hopefully they can work their magic because my wife is starting to steal my gun lol. Well ill keep u guys updated once its back from the factory hopefully sometime this wk or early next wk . Update to come soon
S,r,6883

Postby CB236 » Tue May 09, 2017 8:12 am

I'm by no means what you would cal a "Gunsmith." But my own CPX II has given me some experience that I did not expect. Like you, I had great difficulty with FTE and FTB issues. The more I (attempted) to shoot my CPX II, the worst it got. I preformed two modifications that really seemed to help. 1. I used my conical grinding stone with my Dremel to clean up the feeding ramp. Forward and back as well as side to side. 2. I used some sand paper on the rails on both the slide and the frame. Finishing them with some extra fine emery cloth. Also switched to 124gr and 147gr ammo.

Happy to say that I no longer have issues with my CPX II. Not sure I would rely on it as a CCW because of the trigger. That's why I own a Kimber UC II, to CC ;-)
I Reload, Therefore, I Am
CB236

Postby S,r,6883 » Tue May 09, 2017 12:52 pm

Lol i own a xd mod.2 but its slowly becoming the wifes gun lol. :lol: ive polished the feed ramp checked the extractor to make sure it was clean and free of any gunk ...never thought to do the rails but its gone now so will have to wait till its back from sccy .
EDIT.... as soon as i posted this reply my doorbell rang and the sccy is back . Gonna open box now an post uodate on what was wrong with gun . Range report will wait till friday.
S,r,6883

Postby S,r,6883 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:15 pm

Well off the phone with charlie at sccy service . I was given a new extractor and recoil spring assembly . Im missing my rear sights and a magazine so i called back and they have a sight and a magazine on the way .. they left the gun dirty obviously so i could see it was fired . Hopefully the problems ive had are remedied and it womt b so ammo picky . Again range report friday evening .
S,r,6883

Next

Return to Range Reports