1st day out with CPX-2 MFG. Date of test fire 06-06-16

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

1st day out with CPX-2 MFG. Date of test fire 06-06-16

Postby tinkersdam » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:18 pm

Picked up my new SCCY CPX-2 this morning. Went home, stripped it down, cleaned everything including the mags (inside and out), lubed everything with Frog Lube and put it together. Went to the gun club to test it out. Shot 150 rounds in total using 1.) Federal bulk box from Walmart - 100 rounds, and 2.) Freedom munitions box of 50. BOTH were 115g FMJ RN and new (no reloads). I set up shop on the range at between 7 and 8 yds. with circular targets of 4" initially, then reduced them to 3" once I was a little more familiar with the pistol, especially the heavy DAO trigger. Here's how it went:
a.) I initially loaded the mags with 5 rounds each, then 7, then 10. The first round of the day jammed going into battery. According to the owner's manual, release of the slide s/b done by using the slide release lever only. (pg.17 in the manual). Doing so, the round either jammed or the slide stopped 1/2" short from closing completely. Solution: I did as I usually do, give a SLIGHT tug on the slide until the lever releases, then release the slide. The jam never happened again using this common method of racking a first round.
b.) I blew through the 100 rounds of Federals w/o any problems with either the mags or the pistol. Then I started on the box of Freedom Munitions ammo. I only had ONE issue with this ammo. One of the spent casings failed to eject. After removing the mag and confirming that it wasn't live ammo in the pipe, I tried to remove the casing from the chamber by tapping the side of the pistol... no go. Also couldn't pull it out with a fingernail. However, using another spent casing, I was able to catch the edge well enough it broke loose and fell out. I blame the issue being with the ammo and not with the pistol. All 49 other rounds of the Freedom Munitions fed, fired, and ejected flawlessly. NOTE: I have used Freedom Munitions ammo in 9mm and 45 ACP for the past 3 yrs. This is the FIRST time I've ever had a problem occur. If this happens again with any Freedom Munitions ammo I use, I will definitely let them know.
c.) I spent most of my time getting a feel for the pistol, the break point on the trigger, and managing the muzzle flip with each shot...which BTW, wasn't as bad as I had expected. I found it easier to manage than the muzzle of my full size Sig 226. Part of my time was spent firing double taps...which are definitely tougher to manage with that long heavy trigger than with a DA/SA pistol...but they are do-able, albeit a little less dramatic in trigger speed...but putting the sights back on target was not an issue.
d.) I closed out my afternoon with some serious accuracy practice. I was pleasantly surprised at how accurate this pistol was right out of the box! Attached are 2 of my final targets for the day where I really focused on accuracy, breathing, trigger control, sight alignment, timing etc. I am exceptionally surprised with how well this little pistol shoots.
FINAL COMMENTS/SUGGESTIONS for SCCY... I honestly feel that the trigger breaks too far back against the rear of the trigger guard. I can manage the long pull and weight...but the break point on my pistol is almost touching the rear of the trigger guard...and I mean really CLOSE...enough so that the pad at the end of my index finger sometimes gets pinched between the trigger and the guard. I don't have huge hands, but the pad of my index finger is soft and, with the amount of tension it requires to get the trigger to break, the distal part of the pad overlaps the side of the trigger. I don't have this problem with any of my 5 other pistols because they don't break so far back against the guard. Also, in regard to the trigger, other folks have mentioned this on the forum, but the sharp inner edge of the trigger really worked up a sore spot on my finger too. What would it take to have it smoothed out just a smidge at the factory when it comes out of the mold? As for me... I'm going to take some fine emery cloth to it to take the 'bite' out of it....not a big issue ..but???

I have some Traction Grips on order for this pistol too. The stipling isn't grippy enough for me. I need a little help with most polymer grip pistols. It's not the pistol's fault that It tends to 'walk' in my hand with successive fire. I don't have long enough fingers to wrap around it.

Well that's it.... I like the pistol and it's a 'keeper' for me.
SCCY_1st day out.jpg
New SCCY CPX 2, first 150 rounds down range today.
tinkersdam

Re: 1st day out with CPX-2 MFG. Date of test fire 06-06-16

Postby getvicious » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:35 am

I took a razor knife and small file and smoothed / rounded all the sharp edges and injection seams (front of the grip, underside of the trigger guard and underside of the frame in front of the trigger guard) on the frame, trigger and magazine base plates. It's the same type of thing I used to do when building plastic models back in the day. Made the pistol more comfortable to hold and shoot for me.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Silverbullet » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:05 pm

Nice report and nice shooting!
SCCY CPX2 Glock 19
Sig 938 Beretta 21
Kel Tec PF9 Ruger MKI
Taurus PT111G2. Taurus TCP 738
Bersa Thunder 380
EAA Witness
Silverbullet
Forum Regular

Postby Urny » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:26 pm

That is a good report, td. Your fingers must be shaped very differently than mine; no pinching at all for me. Smoothing some of the rough edges is a good thought even without the pinching though.

Nice groups. That trigger sure is fun trying to get groups like that.
Urny

Postby Mark38090 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:51 pm

Sounds like a successful range day.
Mark38090
Forum Regular

Postby tinkersdam » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:13 pm

SCCY w traction grip.jpg
CPX-2 in Tiffany Blue (turquoise) with Traction Grips
Yes, I was very surprised at how good the groups became as I progressed through the practice. However, at the start of the exercise, the groups were in the 6" range until the trigger loosened up a bit and/or my finger became more sensitive to the point of break. I experimented with the point of contact between finger and trigger and found that if I attempted to move the trigger close to the joint to get more trigger leverage, I pulled the muzzle to the right. I found the best spot to be just a smidge more toward the joint from where I usually position my finger (at the 1/2 way point of the distal joint).

I have smoothed off the sharp edges of the trigger and applied Traction Grips. Here's a picture of how it looks. Am hoping these modifications help a bit with the minor comfort issues I had with the pistol. Will f/u again after the next time out with this SCCY. So far, am pleased with it.
tinkersdam

Return to Range Reports