First 100 rounds, 8 jams. Disappointment.

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

First 100 rounds, 8 jams. Disappointment.

Postby dieselgeer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:39 am

We ran 100 rounds of Remington 115gr FMJ through my new SCCY for the first time yesterday. First complaint, the thumb safety is so hard to release even with BOTH thumbs I just left it off. Pretty worthless. Then out of the 100 rounds fired, a total of 8 fired cases stayed in the chamber and the slide stuck open. I released the magazine and then had to cycle the empty out. A group of family members were all taking turns shooting and were interested in getting one of these SCCY pistols. Not anymore after that disappointing display of non-feeding issues. Tonight I'm going to inspect it for possible causes.
dieselgeer

Re: First 100 rounds, 8 jams. Disappointment.

Postby economod » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:27 am

dieselgeer wrote:We ran 100 rounds of Remington 115gr FMJ through my new SCCY for the first time yesterday. First complaint, the thumb safety is so hard to release even with BOTH thumbs I just left it off. Pretty worthless. Then out of the 100 rounds fired, a total of 8 fired cases stayed in the chamber and the slide stuck open. I released the magazine and then had to cycle the empty out. A group of family members were all taking turns shooting and were interested in getting one of these SCCY pistols. Not anymore after that disappointing display of non-feeding issues. Tonight I'm going to inspect it for possible causes.

1) ... 100 rounds of Remington 115gr FMJ through my new SCCY for the first time ...
2) ... the thumb safety is ... Pretty worthless.
3) ... a total of 8 fired cases stayed in the chamber and the slide stuck open ...
4) ... A group of family members were all taking turns ...

1) good choice of ammo ... fires well in most sccy ... likely not the culprit
2) agreed
3) were the new gun & magazines cleaned and lubed before shooting?
4) any previous shooting experience?

The lightweight CPX has a large but slippery frame, and requires grip development to manage recoil.
Search the web for "thumbs forward grip" for various instructions.
Perhaps some grip tape will help.
hth
2016 SCCY WOOD SHIMS > viewtopic.php?p=50025#p50025
9mm AMMO LENGTH > viewtopic.php?p=48248#p48248
CPX2 DESTROYED > viewtopic.php?p=51413#p51413
economod
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:30 am

dieselgeer wrote:We ran 100 rounds of Remington 115gr FMJ through my new SCCY for the first time yesterday. First complaint, the thumb safety is so hard to release even with BOTH thumbs I just left it off. Pretty worthless. Then out of the 100 rounds fired, a total of 8 fired cases stayed in the chamber and the slide stuck open. I released the magazine and then had to cycle the empty out. A group of family members were all taking turns shooting and were interested in getting one of these SCCY pistols. Not anymore after that disappointing display of non-feeding issues. Tonight I'm going to inspect it for possible causes.

"the thumb safety is so hard to release even with BOTH thumbs I just left it off."

Can you provide some additional detail about that and maybe a picture? That is the first time I've ever heard a statement about a hard-to-switch safety. Are both levers too hard for both hands to switch?
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby dieselgeer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:24 am

4) Yes, all experienced shooters, male and female. We were also enjoying a Beretta 92 9mm with Federal 100 pack aluminum case, no problems. We hit the target well with the SCCY, it's a good shooter.
The safety was difficult right out of the box and got worse. It takes both thumbs, one each side to move it on and off. My daughters couldn't budge it. Like I say, further investigation required tonight it get a thorough going over.
dieselgeer

Postby wrench459 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:32 pm

The 9mm is fine.
For real knock-down power the one that I was around was 105mm.
Deadly accurate.

Then there was the 155's.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:22 pm

dieselgeer wrote:4) Yes, all experienced shooters, male and female. We were also enjoying a Beretta 92 9mm with Federal 100 pack aluminum case, no problems. We hit the target well with the SCCY, it's a good shooter.
The safety was difficult right out of the box and got worse. It takes both thumbs, one each side to move it on and off. My daughters couldn't budge it. Like I say, further investigation required tonight it get a thorough going over.

Look at the parts diagram in your manual to see how the safety fits in the frame. There is a pin the hammer pivots on that is where the spring and detent pin for the safety fits into under the left safety lever. The right lever has the shaft the left lever is held onto with a screw. If it's so hard to use make sure the detent pin isn't sticking into the lever too much. SCCY used to offer a safety removal kit that just made the safety levers lock in the fire position. Your issue really sounds like it has one of those which would be really strange.

If you remove the left safety lever, be careful replacing it. The lever is easy to crack if you get the screw too tight.

Don't hesitate to call SCCY if you can't figure out the issue and an easy resolution.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby dieselgeer » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:11 pm

I took the safety lever out for inspection. It had some deep witness grooves where the cone shaped brass plunger rides. This is only after a dozen or so movements off and on. I'm going to polish the brass plunger and maybe round it off a little. The tip on the brass plunger seems too pointy and resists movement. The spring also seems very stiff to be pushing the brass plunger into a soft plastic lever. The lever would be better made from a less malleable plastic. I also polished the barrel ramp to assist smoother bullet transition into the chamber and cleaned and lubed the magazines. Ready for another 100 rounds.
dieselgeer

Return to Range Reports