and it's broken...

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

and it's broken...

Postby xpoqx » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:42 am

Good evening gentlemen, I'm back again to report on the disposition of my pistol, and it's broken... This is a particular point of soreness and disappointment. As while I understand it's a $200 pistol I was hoping to go at least 2000 rounds before failure. I'm currently have around 750 rounds through the pistol and much to my dismay upon disassembly I have found that it has broken. I just recently put around 75-125 rounds through it with only one failure to eject using Federal Ammunition 9mm Range Target Practice 155 grain FMJ rounds (RTP9115). I should mention that it has only been exclusively fed these rounds through its lifetime as this has been the most affordable 9mm at my local shop. Everything went fine, everything went smooth otherwise. Upon disassembly I have found that my operating rod is bent and the front face has sheared from the body of the rod. This is not something I was able to detect as I was shooting it but it is clear to me that this gun would have ran itself into the ground had it not been taken apart for preventative maintenance and cleaning. I will attach pictures should I figure out exactly how. I don't really know what to do from here, now I am going to contact the company but as I have read it I guess they're not paying for shipping anymore. I bought this pistol because it was supposed to have a lifetime warrantee and SCCY was supposed to have good customer service. If they are not going to fix my gun for free and cover the postage I shan't say that I will keep it after it is fixed. Somebody had mentioned a gun buyback program and for the price that I paid it's like an equal amount of money that I get back, so fuck it.

I figure I'll put in for the work, get a new operating rod,and a new mag because one of mine has a rattle that the other 3 don't have when fully loaded. I'd like to keep it but another issue like this and it's gonna get sold or go to gun buy back program. Either way I'm getting rid of it.
Attachments
IMG_1864.JPG
IMG_1863.JPG
xpoqx

Re: and it's broken...

Postby wrench459 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:57 pm

xpoqx wrote:.. I just recently put around 75-125 rounds through it with only one failure to eject using Federal Ammunition 9mm Range Target Practice 155 grain FMJ rounds (RTP9115). I should mention that it has only been exclusively fed these rounds through its lifetime as this has been the most affordable 9mm at my local shop....

155gr traveling @ 1200 fps yields a power factor of 186.
No wonder the recoil spring assy. broke. :P
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby tinkersdam » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:44 am

Call customer service. If there's no other damage seen on the pistol, there's no need to ship in the pistol. Tell them what happened, offer to send them a picture of the guide rod assembly...they'll send you a new (improved) rod and you'll have it in your possession within 4-5 days. Do a pistol cleaning and put in the new rod. Have had nothing but great service from Danice and Jason at SCCY customer service. And, yes, my guide rod bent too...jammed up the slide. Jason gave me the 'how to' fix to release the slide over the phone and Danice sent me the new guide rod. No muss or fuss involved, my pistol's back in service shooting 100 %.

As for the mag... tell them about that too. they'll ship you another one along with a pre-paid mailer for you to return the bad one. Again, no fuss...I sent a mag back too. For the 200 bucks I spent, they've done a decent job of customer service for me...FAR FAR better than what Sig did when I told them the rear night sight on my brand new $1000 P226 was the wrong height and the pistol wasn't (and can't be) zero'd with the OEM rear sight THEY put on it... they essentially told me to 'go scratch'.... wouldn't pay shipping either way and wanted big $$$ to replace the rear sight...refused any warranty service on a factory manufacturing error. I think SCCY is at least doing a decent job being faithful to it's guarantee.

BTW... RTP9115 Federal ammo is 115gr not 155gr. A 155gr would be a bit much for this pistol and don't use +P ammo either. 115gr or 124gr is recommended.
tinkersdam

Postby xpoqx » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:57 pm

Lolz It's the 115 grain you guys know what I meant, I TYPE WITH MY THUMBS, I'M GOING TO MAKE MISTAKES. But I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what they say.
xpoqx

Postby wrench459 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:42 pm

xpoqx wrote:Lolz It's the 115 grain you guys know what I meant, I TYPE WITH MY THUMBS, I'M GOING TO MAKE MISTAKES. But I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what they say.

Talk with Charlie...he'll probably ship a assy, no charge to you.
You can also find some heavy weight slugs to play around with.
http://www.xtremebullets.com/9mm-165-RN-p/xc9mm-165rn-b0250.htm
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:51 pm

xpoqx - Looking at the pictures you posted the it appears the retainer wore enough to come off the end of the recoil rod. That doesn't really effect the function but it does render the recoil spring no longer captive.

Looking closely at the pictures it looks like the shaft of your recoil rod might be chewed a bit. This will effect the pistol function and can cause malfunctions from failure to feed / eject properly all the way to cracking the slide.

Recoil rod assemblies wear out. 750 rounds is pretty good. I was getting 200 - 250 rounds between recoil rod replacements on my original CPX-1.

Every time you clean your CPX be sure to examine the recoil rod closely. The instant the rod begins to show signs of wear call SCCY and ask for another one. In fact, ask for two so you have a spare on hand so the next time the recoil rod wears out you can immediately install your spare and call SCCY for a replacement. That way you won't experience any down time waiting for a new recoil rod assembly to come in the mail.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby DrJosh » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:23 pm

So was the problem rectified?
DrJosh

Return to Range Reports