magazine repair to feed hollow point bullets

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

magazine repair to feed hollow point bullets

Postby massey1155 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:53 pm

hello. I am a new member and love my SCCY cpx2 please read my introduction post. my SCCY had 3 FTF's 2 with Win. 147hp and one with Hornady XTP. since I have a machine shop and experience with gunsmithing I felt confident about fixing it, I noticed one mag was worse than the other but they both needed the slide pulled all the way back and released to get the bullet noses to slide up the ramp. i was getting high pressures and uneven velocity due to compressed loads from bullets moving. solution, after experimenting I GENTLY opened up the front only of the lips of both mags in stages until I reached .375" about .020" behind the end of the radius on the lips (u can check it with a 3/8" drill bit for a gauge, now the rounds tip up far enough that they just barley hit the ramp and the spring will push them into battery no prob. with xtps, win 147s, and sig V crowns no more FTFs i did have one when I went wider than this because unless the bullet hits the ramp a little it does not stay against the breech and pops out of the mag too soon missing the extractor. hope this helps!
massey1155

Re: magazine repair to feed hollow point bullets

Postby getvicious » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:30 am

Make sure your magazine springs are installed correctly with the high point under the nose of the round. There have been reports of backwards springs, high point of spring to rear of the round, for a few years off and on.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby wrench459 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:27 pm

massey1155 wrote:hello. I am a new member and love my SCCY cpx2 please read my introduction post.... i was getting high pressures and uneven velocity due to compressed loads from bullets moving. solution, after experimenting I GENTLY opened up the front only of the lips of both mags in stages until I reached .375" about .020"..

May I ask how that you know that the pressures where high?
Reading a flattened primer is not a exact science but the only one available to us reloaders. :kickback:
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby sccytoter » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:16 am

My CPX-2 has never been able to feed 147's. It will run the 135's on down, but neither 147 grain I have tried in it. It does not bother me that much because with a 3.1" barrel, I would rather run bullets of a lighter weight anyways....want to get some velocity.
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby massey1155 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:59 pm

springs were OK, I dissassembled both mags to check. what clued me in was that one mag fed better than the other. the difference was obvious and was measured with good digital calipers from the datum point that I mentioned. and the new dim. arrived at after several gradual tries. just like tuning a race motor keep moving ONE adjustment at a time until it stops going faster and starts to slow down and then back it off a little. as to overpressure bullets were shoved in about .100" anv primers were pushed into the firing pin hole. also went about 200 fps faster than stock.
massey1155

Return to Range Reports