1st range trip CPX 2

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

1st range trip CPX 2

Postby bobd400 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:54 pm

Range review...so In spite of the fact it's only 22 degrees here with a 19 mile an hour wind at the range I had to get out and shoot my new CPX 2 for the first time. I mean come on, it's been sitting there for 5 days already!

My feelings are mixed. To be dead honest it was so cold out there I can't say that the so-so accuracy was due to the gun or myself. Not bad, but not great. Again, probably a decent amount of me and me getting used to the gun.

My bigger concern was the reliability. I have read that there is something like a break-in period of two or three hundred rounds and then they start to feed pretty reliably. I put 60 rounds through it, (40 rounds of 115 grain FMJ and 20 rounds of 124 grain FMJ), and I had four FTFs. I'm really hoping that this it just needs a break in period. Anybody wish to share their findings? The other thing I have to say is these magazines are probably some of the hardest I've ever found to load. I'm actually wondering if the stiff magazines are part of the FTF and maybe as they stretch a bit will help the feeding consistency.

I actually found the gun very comfortable, and quite controllable. I really want to like this gun, and really feel it's got great CCW potential, just need to get the reliability there. Going to clean it well tonight, Lube it pretty well, which I hear sometimes can help it in the early days, and hopefully we'll get to the range later this week again or early next week
bobd400

Re: 1st range trip CPX 2

Postby HootmonSccy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:54 pm

First of all..
Welcome from Tampa Bay..

My understanding is the gun does NOT require a break in, but the Magazines do..
The Mags will get better with some exercising..
Were all of the FTF's on the same brand/type of bullets??
Could it be a primer issue.. (especially in the cold)..
It is the nice thing about a DAO gun.. Just squeeze the trigger again.. Did it go bang on the second hit??
Don't loose faith yet...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby bobd400 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:04 pm

Sorry, my bad...ftf=failure to feed

Was shooting sellier&bellot (115gfmj) and armscor (124gfmj)

No issues with light strikes, all rounds went bang, and no issue with extraction/ejection. Only feeding live rounds (and That's why I thought the magazines might be the issue)

Next trip to the range I'm going to put another 150 or 200 rounds through it hopefully and if I continue to have feeding problems after that I may contact the company
bobd400

Postby HootmonSccy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:15 pm

Mark your Magazines and see if it is always the same magazine..
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby alexrckid » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:03 pm

bobd400 wrote:Sorry, my bad...ftf=failure to feed

Was shooting sellier&bellot (115gfmj) and armscor (124gfmj)

No issues with light strikes, all rounds went bang, and no issue with extraction/ejection. Only feeding live rounds (and That's why I thought the magazines might be the issue)

Next trip to the range I'm going to put another 150 or 200 rounds through it hopefully and if I continue to have feeding problems after that I may contact the company

check out this video....Hickok45 had a few issues with Arscor, too.....maybe hard primer..?/...i, personally have shot not only Arscor but just also many brands og 115gr 9mm stuff........nover had any issues with not only FTFeed but any other type of failure....my CPX is about 2 years old and has plenty of trips to the range....lube it with the Lucas gun lube ....
http://www.guns.com/2013/11/15/sccy-cpx ... k45-video/
alexrckid
Forum Regular

Postby wrench459 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:16 pm

Fully load-up the mags then let them sit for a few days.
Some has reported that polishing the feed ramp also helps.
My experience with the sky is that it does need a minor break-in period.
Till the front of the frame rails get seated (during this time you might see alum.flakes during cleaning).
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby alexrckid » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:40 pm

wrench459 wrote:Fully load-up the mags then let them sit for a few days.
Some has reported that polishing the feed ramp also helps.
My experience with the sky is that it does need a minor break-in period.
Till the front of the frame rails get seated (during this time you might see alum.flakes during cleaning).

agree 100%......including the feed ramp polishing. i do it after each range trip.....my local PD do the same thing...guess it helps. i use some 600 grit wet/dry paper(using it dry) wrapped around a pencil eraser....couple ofquick up/down passes makes the ramp look like jewelry.....
alexrckid
Forum Regular

Postby wrench459 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:39 pm

NOW get some holler points into the pistola.
Shoot a few box's.
BTW mine likes 1.120 oal(JHP) very well.

Not that I've ever shot reloads in my sky :kickback:
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby bobd400 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:21 am

Okay, thanks everybody for the input! Second trip to the range today... We're getting there!

After the last trip to the range, all I did was give the pistol a real thorough cleaning, and keep the mags loaded for a week. So today I shot the following...

30rnds Armscor 124gr fmj - no failures
30rnds PMC Bronze 115gr fmj - 1 failure to feed
30rnds American Eagle 147gr fmj fp - no failures
30rnds Geco 124gr fmj - 1 failure to feed

So twice as many rounds down range and half the failures. I would still like to see this get down to 1 or less failures per hundred. Some interesting thoughts and findings...

I had read that the larger 147 grain bullet sometimes isn't a favorite in smaller pistols. And because it was a flat Point Full Metal Jacket I actually thought and expected failures here. I was happy that, at least for the 30 rounds, there seems to be no problem. I will run more of these through. Since I don't plan on running any + p through this pistol I wouldn't mind having the option of the 147gr bullet.

After doing the first 90 rounds off hand, I wanted to get a better sense of the accuracy capability of the pistol. When I bench rested, I was happy with the accuracy. For this pistol and what it's expected to do it's definitely got acceptable accuracy capabilities. Now it's just a question of me getting better with it.

I will note that the finger grooves in the grip don't exactly align with my hand. I removed the extension from the grip for the pinky finger, because the way I carry this doesn't work. So I would say after each three or four rounds I had to readjust my grip a bit. This is nothing catastrophic, just something to note. I don't really see a situation where I would have to Rapid Fire more than three or four rounds without the ability to do a split second regrip. But just making a note.

I will also say that the failures I experienced weren't anything catastrophic, and were cleared fairly easily and quickly with a quick pull on the slide. I've seen some horrendous Hang-Ups in some photos but I, knocking on wood, experienced the failures to feed in a pretty minor sense and we're easy to clear.

The next step for me is to run some more of this "cheap" ammo through it and see if as I get past the three hundred round mark the failures reduce further. I'll also Now buy some of the more higher end defense Specific bullets and see how they run. I have found rounds like the critical defense ammo to be shaped to feed pretty flawlessly in my other pistols so hopefully it will be the same here. If my carry ammo functions flawlessly, and it's just my practice ammo that I have a 1 in 100 failure rate, that will be acceptable for me.

Fingers crossed progress continues.
bobd400

Postby Silverbullet » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:11 pm

Hi! Describe your ftf. Maybe we can help.
SCCY CPX2 Glock 19
Sig 938 Beretta 21
Kel Tec PF9 Ruger MKI
Taurus PT111G2. Taurus TCP 738
Bersa Thunder 380
EAA Witness
Silverbullet
Forum Regular

Postby wrench459 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:16 pm

bobd400 wrote: Since I don't plan on running any + p through this pistol I wouldn't mind having the option of the 147gr bullet.

The short bbl does seem to have a problem with getting the boolits up to speed.

I've been able to push 124gr slugs right @ 115gr speeds.
Don't worry the sccy can handle +P loads without any problems.
In fact thats all I reload.
+P+ is a time bomb tho
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby wrench459 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:54 pm

Ok, let's look at pressure.
A standard for modern 9mm is just under 35Kpsi. For +p ~38.5K
Not to say that you can't load "bunny fart" loads with less muzzle flip
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby bobd400 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:06 am

Silverbullet wrote:Hi! Describe your ftf. Maybe we can help.

Thanks...the second failure was as I was almost done so I just racked the slide, ejected the round and fired the last round of the day. Here maybe she was just dirty (I hear they tend to have issues when they get dirty at range).

The first failure as I recall, the round was about 1/2 way seated in the tube. If I was to guess I'd think maybe friction from the feed ramp perhaps slowed it down enough to prevent slide from completely cycling forward? For this I guess I could polish the feed ramp, and if I still note similar failures after another 100 rounds or so I may consider.

Thoughts?
bobd400

Postby getvicious » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:19 pm

bobd400 - Polish the feed ramp. It can only help.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby wrench459 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:55 pm

getvicious wrote:bobd400 - Polish the feed ramp. It can only help.

wrench459
Veteran Member

Next

Return to Range Reports