Lube

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

Lube

Postby savage2 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:30 am

Broke my s2 down, for the first time. Got some grease, qutip , spray silicone . Went over all moving parts. Sounds better moves better, will find out how it shoots xmass day

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
savage2

Re: Lube

Postby DANM99 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:44 am

In my experience spray silicone makes a poor long term lubricant. It goes away pretty quickly. Not that I believe in using one of those high tech trendy gun oils. I know two local gunsmiths that use only 30W motor oil. My personal choice has been DuraLube advanced all purpose for over 30 years'.
Ten Bears: "You are the Grey Rider, you would not surrender to the blue coats. You may go in peace."
Josey Wales: "I reccon not"

Charlie Waite: "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I am gonna kill them"
DANM99

Postby Joe C » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:56 am

I'm with you DANM99, I've seen a lot of malfunctions due to over lube with people blaming their ammo for ftf, fte and stove pipes. At the range I suggest that they field strip it and wipe it down to remove as much lube as they can. Most times, problem solved.

I believe in having clean pistols but I also like to know the limits of when it becomes an issue that needs to be addressed. I have a Ruger SR22 that will run smoothly for about 900 rounds before she acts up. Even when that happens a quick dry brush down the barrel and a rag wipe of the feed ramp and she keeps going. A normal range outing for me is at least 300 rounds so yes I clean my guns afterwards but it's good to know what the limitations are for each firearm. My CPX 2 gets 200 rounds through it each month and is cleaned every time as it is my carry and I leave nothing to chance.

Us old guys tend to stick with what we have been doing over the years. Hoppe's #9 for a good cleaning, wipe off, then a touch of CLP on a patch over the moving parts and she is ready for the next time. This as worked for me for over sixty years now and hopefully it will work for another twenty or thirty years.
Failure is not an option
Joe C

Postby DANM99 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:50 pm

What Joe C. said. No reason to get complicated. Just start with a clean gun and add a little lube of decent quality. Good to go....
Ten Bears: "You are the Grey Rider, you would not surrender to the blue coats. You may go in peace."
Josey Wales: "I reccon not"

Charlie Waite: "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I am gonna kill them"
DANM99

Return to Range Reports