Made it to the range today

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

Made it to the range today

Postby Walnut Red » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:36 pm

I've been working 3rd shift this week so when the mail carrier delivered the holster and mag loader I'd ordered for my new CPX-2 I decided to head to the range for a function test. I shot a box of Remington, Herters, Federal, Winchester and Armscor ammo, all 115 gn FMJ. Temp was 6 deg. F, overcast sky, light breeze in my face. Targets were 6" paper plates at 12 yards. I had no malfunctions of any sort today with the pistol or ammo. Point of impact was slightly different with each brand but everything stayed somewhere within the 6" paper plate, which is my criteria for a carry pistol/ammo combination. Federal was the worst for me, I had to work to keep 5" groups. They were centered, just open. Herters was also disappointing, a centered 4" group but 3" low. The Winchester function fine and had acceptable groupings, but I'll not buy it again. I didn't read the box and it is steel cased. Actually I was a little surprised it functioned so well given the steel case. The Remington and Armscor ammo both shot pretty much to point of aim and gave 3"-3.5" groups consistently. Before the trip home I reloaded both magazines with the Armscor given the occasional hard primer reports I've heard about the Remington but I'd have no hesitation using the Remington ammo for practice.

The mag loader is a RangeTray brand and made loading the mags much easier and the mags did seem to become easier to load with use. Before I went to the range I disassembled and cleaned the pistol placing a drop of Triflow on each rail and two drops on the barrel. The holster is A Barsony Leather brand and I'm not so sure about it. workmanship is OK but th epistol rides a little high and I may have to modify it slightly around the trigger guard. I wore the pistol all afternoon and found it very comfortable to carry. I realize 12 yards and 6" targets is not much of a range test but I consider it sufficient for my purposes. I've very happy to have no malfunctions with 5 brands of cheap range ammo and the compactness makes the pistol easy to carry. I'll pick up some hollow points for my next trip and let you know the results.
Walnut Red

Re: Made it to the range today

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:48 am

Nice report. Plenty good for self defense.
SCCY CPX2 Glock 19
Sig 938 Beretta 21
Kel Tec PF9 Ruger MKI
Taurus PT111G2. Taurus TCP 738
Bersa Thunder 380
EAA Witness
Silverbullet
Forum Regular

Return to Range Reports