Bad day

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

Bad day

Postby savage2 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:18 pm

Was real happy until I pulled the trigger on my Sccy 2, noboom pull the trigger 3 times gun went off pull the trigger 3 times gun went off emptied out mag. Put the rest of the 9mm ammo in my 9mm star Super Bee and they all went bang. Sccy well my Sccy does not like steel cased ammo. Was really upset when it didn't go off. Shot brass cased ammo Non-Stop guess its going to go in my 3-day bag and that's where it's going to live i have several guns I carry but I think I'm going to carry my Charter Arms old 38 Undercover thanks PS like my gun but I like my 38 it goes off

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
savage2

Re: Bad day

Postby wrench459 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:52 pm

You know what they say..
A bad day fishing is better then a good day @ work.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby Walnut Red » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:42 am

Steel case ammo seems to be iffy is a SCCY. Mine handled the Winchester steel case I accidentally bought but I don't plan on shooting steel case in it again. You said your pistol handled brass case OK. So now you know what works and what doesn't. Isn't that part of the purpose of range time?
Walnut Red

Postby savage2 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:03 am

Walnut Red wrote:Steel case ammo seems to be iffy is a SCCY. Mine handled the Winchester steel case I accidentally bought but I don't plan on shooting steel case in it again. You said your pistol handled brass case OK. So now you know what works and what doesn't. Isn't that part of the purpose of range time?
Yes and. No , just that I had ran out of brass and put steel case then and was carrying it before I found out yes and no

savage2

Postby Ricksza » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:19 am

Quote from SCCY Industries: Most name-brand brass cased ammo can be used. Do not use Steel Cased, Aluminum Cased, or reloads. +P ammunition is recommended only for very limited use in Gen 2 only. Standard grain (bullet weight): 115 and 124, and 147 in Gen 2
Ricksza

Postby frank » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:20 am

so you have written the gun off because it won`t shoot steel case ammo ,and you use steel case for carry ammo ??? tula ammo has hard primers ,my cpx2 will have occasional failures to fire with it but at least you have double action restrike capability . might want to consider good quality ammo for self defense . `just saying`` does the gun
have enough rounds through it to be worn in (broken in ) ? polishing the chamber-feed ramp might help if feeding or extraction problems -------------
frank
Forum Regular

Postby savage2 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:52 am

frank wrote:so you have written the gun off because it won`t shoot steel case ammo ,and you use steel case for carry ammo ??? tula ammo has hard primers ,my cpx2 will have occasional failures to fire with it but at least you have double action restrike capability . might want to consider good quality ammo for self defense . `just saying`` does the gun
have enough rounds through it to be worn in (broken in ) ? polishing the chamber-feed ramp might help if feeding or extraction problems -------------
SIR the gun will ride in my 3 day bag, were I come from you only get 1 shot. Did not see the ammo page on this gun. Not being an #$% but I like me. I like my Sccy but i have 100s of boxes of 9mm ammo, steel, brass no alum, all my other guns shoot what ever I put in them. I have owned carried pistols from 1978 till now never have I ever had one not fire, because I carry revolver mostly, the only time they stop working is when they are empty. I that better care of my guns then I do my self. Like i said I like this little gun like me more. Thank you

savage2

Postby frank » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:44 pm

savage -----did not mean to be insulting just pointing out in my experience these little guns are quite reliable with the right ammo .
have a weakness for revolvers myself . have a nice day----------
frank
Forum Regular

Postby savage2 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:14 am

frank wrote:savage -----did not mean to be insulting just pointing out in my experience these little guns are quite reliable with the right ammo .
have a weakness for revolvers myself . have a nice day----------
Same to and thanks

savage2

Postby Renaldow » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:25 pm

savage2 wrote: SIR the gun will ride in my 3 day bag, were I come from you only get 1 shot. Did not see the ammo page on this gun. Not being an #$% but I like me. I like my Sccy but i have 100s of boxes of 9mm ammo, steel, brass no alum, all my other guns shoot what ever I put in them. I have owned carried pistols from 1978 till now never have I ever had one not fire, because I carry revolver mostly, the only time they stop working is when they are empty. I that better care of my guns then I do my self. Like i said I like this little gun like me more. Thank you

Not my concern where you choose to put the SCCY or any other pistol you bought. However, blaming a gun for not handling steel ammo well when the manufacturer specifically tells you DO NOT SHOOT STEEL CASED AMMO IN THIS PISTOL is a problem with the shooter (YOU) not the firearm. Yes, nothing works when you don't read the instructions or do the research. Yes, it must be everything else's fault, not yours.

Your complaints are basically the same as someone buying a diesel and then complaining it won't start when they fill it with unleaded.
Renaldow
Forum Regular

Postby FastEddie » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:33 pm

Well put. That is why manufacturers give you directions. But, as a group, gun owners typically follow their own mind. It think it is the "macho" I know what to do syndrome. Unfortunately they are then the root cause of most problems they experience.
FastEddie
Forum Regular

Postby savage2 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:33 pm

Did not get the page on ammo to use, Its a bag gun no matter how you look at it, if you want to carry it great happy for you. not I and I am the only one that matters, when it comes to me. shot it today with brass worked great in to the bag it went, I am happy with it. It was bought for the reason I am using it. It was never a carry gun it was bought for my camping bag. :bdh: :bdh: :bdh:
savage2

Postby Renaldow » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:31 pm

Sorry if I sounded like a jerk in my post, didn't mean to be. Some things get under my skin that shouldn't, some times.

The SCCY would be a great camping gun, I'm sure. Mine is a Taurus .38spl PolyProtector revolver.
Renaldow
Forum Regular

Postby savage2 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:48 pm

Renaldow wrote:Sorry if I sounded like a jerk in my post, didn't mean to be. Some things get under my skin that shouldn't, some times.

The SCCY would be a great camping gun, I'm sure. Mine is a Taurus .38spl PolyProtector revolver.
Cool mine was a charter arms 38 but the hammer was always getting me in trouble thanks

savage2

Postby Geezer » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:52 am

My buddy and I split 1000 rounds of steel cased ammo. We had a 30% failure rate in striker fired guns. The same rounds were then loaded into a CZ and a Hi Power and they all went bang. Our unofficial opinion is that the hard primers need a good smack with a hammer. Yes, the SCCY has a hammer but not the same mass and inertia as the CZ or Browning.
Geezer

Return to Range Reports