Finally a range session

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

Finally a range session

Postby DANM99 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:06 pm

Finally some decent weather. Was able to put 200 rounds of my 124 LRNPC reloads through the new CPX2 yesterday with no failures. The bullets are from the Lee 6cav 124gr RN mold with the TL style lube grooves, powder coated with HF red. Mixed brass loaded with 4.1grs, Shooters World brand Clean Shot powder. This load came from the SW site. Needless to say I was very happy with the little SCCY. It eats up my standard 9x19 reloads and hits pretty good too. Here is my best 25 foot target, two mags: (trying to post target pix, no luck yet)

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n24/ ... RNPC_1.jpg
Ten Bears: "You are the Grey Rider, you would not surrender to the blue coats. You may go in peace."
Josey Wales: "I reccon not"

Charlie Waite: "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I am gonna kill them"
DANM99

Re: Finally a range session

Postby wrench459 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:39 pm

I would be interested in some chrono times with clean shot powder.
I've got a place that sells the stuff just around the corner from work.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby DANM99 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:23 am

Yes, I need to set up the chrono for the next session. Will bring a full sized pistol for comparison of long and short barrels. All I can tell you now is that the recoil had about the same snap to it as some factory 124s I have tried in it. FWIW, the load is listed at 1067fps on the SW site. They show it as equivalent to 231, Titegroup, and Bullseye. BTW their Heavy Pistol powder is exactly the same as Accurate #9 and is more accurate in my 300BLK upper than H110, but just a little slower.

Can someone direct me to the instructions for posting photos on this site?
Ten Bears: "You are the Grey Rider, you would not surrender to the blue coats. You may go in peace."

DANM99

Postby frank » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:54 am

danm99 --looks like that load is working good for you. do your lee tlube bullets ever tumble on you ?? mine hit sideways at even close range
from all of my 9mm pistols regardless of barrel length ( 3-5 inches ) part of the time . they do stabilize and shoot well out of .38 revolvers with longer barrels . kind of mystifies
me . my standard powder load is 3.8 grs of `titegroup `. powder coated ones seem to shoot a little better than 45/45/10 lubed . different cast bullets,
powder coated ones ,and jacketed bullets shoot great out of these guns . its just the tl356 -124-2r that gives me trouble . bye the way, the lee
358 -105 has good accuracy and low recoil but does`nt feed all that well in 9mm.
Attachments
41zE6rkuQ6L._SY679_.jpg
41zE6rkuQ6L._SY679_.jpg (10.18 KiB) Viewed 482 times
frank
Forum Regular

Postby DANM99 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:05 pm

Frank....Your Titegroup load is my usual exact go to load with the Lee 124TL bullets in 9x19. I ran out of TG, and couldn't find any when I needed it, so I took a chance on the Shooters World Clean Shot. This load is still in the testing stage for me. I have never had any problems with Lee TL bullets not stabilizing. I use them in 9x19. 38 special, 45ACP, and 45Colt. Maybe others that I can't remember. Usually a sideways bullet strike is caused by too slow of a twist for bullet weight. It doesn't sound like that is your problem. I know that your TG load is spot on. I have made and fired a big pile of the same 9x19 load in several pistols with fine results. Maybe a sizing problem? I wish I had a ready answer for you, but I'm just not sure. Have you tried asking on the castboolit site? http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forum.php That site is no doubt the best source for cast bullet info on the web. Good luck!

DANM99

Postby wrench459 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:14 pm

A key-holing issue also might be from loose hanging paper target.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Return to Range Reports