New CPX-2 Break In

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

New CPX-2 Break In

Postby Geezer » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:35 pm

A couple of weeks ago I got a new CPX-2. I had heard good thinks about these SCCY pistols and was looking forward to shooting it. I decided to shoot it
just like it came. Right out of the box, I didn't clean lube it, nothing. After 3 or 4 magazines of a mixture of brass and steel ammo, the slide would not return to battery on a couple of rounds. A light tap on the back of the slide with my hand and it locked into battery. In 200 rounds, we had one failure to eject, and I think it was ammo related.

I gave it a good cleaning and lube and it ran flawlessly. I'm not sure if it was the 200 round break in, the cleaning and lube, or a combination of both. If it will run 200 more rounds without a problem I will declare it reliable enough for a defense gun. Not bad for the price.

sccy.jpg
Geezer

Re: New CPX-2 Break In

Postby DaveB » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:42 pm

Nice looking SCCY! Glad you are happy with yours too. I decided to clean mine before going to the range the first time after reading some sour reports online. I only ran around 80-100 rounds and had no malfunctions. I did use 4 different brands of ammo though. I bet your initial problems were a combination of break-in and no pre-cleaning and lube. The only hiccup I had was getting used to the slow trigger return. I did the spring adjustment today so will report the results after the next range trip. Congrats on your new purchase!!!!
Dave
DaveB

Postby Geezer » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:41 am

I purposely did not clean it before shooting. I just wanted to see if it would run right out of the box. Had I only oiled the rails before shooting, I think it would have run just fine.
Geezer

Postby DaveB » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:44 am

Cool!
DaveB

Postby Geezer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:23 am

UPDATE** I was able to get the gun back outside and a buddy and I ran 200 rounds through it without the first issue. Amazing what a cleaning and lube job will do, huh? I think this will be a gun that I will recommend to anyone needing a gun for home or personal protection.
Geezer

Postby sccytoter » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:23 pm

To each his own. I have made it a personal practice to clean any new firearm I buy....just want to get all the factory grease and grime out of it. Glad your pistol is working good for you!
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Return to Range Reports