New CPX-2 Break In

Reports from the Firing Line. Let us know how the shooting went and don't forget to post some pictures!

New CPX-2 Break In

Postby Geezer » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:35 pm

A couple of weeks ago I got a new CPX-2. I had heard good thinks about these SCCY pistols and was looking forward to shooting it. I decided to shoot it
just like it came. Right out of the box, I didn't clean lube it, nothing. After 3 or 4 magazines of a mixture of brass and steel ammo, the slide would not return to battery on a couple of rounds. A light tap on the back of the slide with my hand and it locked into battery. In 200 rounds, we had one failure to eject, and I think it was ammo related.

I gave it a good cleaning and lube and it ran flawlessly. I'm not sure if it was the 200 round break in, the cleaning and lube, or a combination of both. If it will run 200 more rounds without a problem I will declare it reliable enough for a defense gun. Not bad for the price.

sccy.jpg
Geezer

Re: New CPX-2 Break In

Postby DaveB » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:42 pm

Nice looking SCCY! Glad you are happy with yours too. I decided to clean mine before going to the range the first time after reading some sour reports online. I only ran around 80-100 rounds and had no malfunctions. I did use 4 different brands of ammo though. I bet your initial problems were a combination of break-in and no pre-cleaning and lube. The only hiccup I had was getting used to the slow trigger return. I did the spring adjustment today so will report the results after the next range trip. Congrats on your new purchase!!!!
Dave
DaveB

Postby Geezer » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:41 am

I purposely did not clean it before shooting. I just wanted to see if it would run right out of the box. Had I only oiled the rails before shooting, I think it would have run just fine.
Geezer

Postby DaveB » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:44 am

Cool!
DaveB

Postby Geezer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:23 am

UPDATE** I was able to get the gun back outside and a buddy and I ran 200 rounds through it without the first issue. Amazing what a cleaning and lube job will do, huh? I think this will be a gun that I will recommend to anyone needing a gun for home or personal protection.
Geezer

Postby sccytoter » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:23 pm

To each his own. I have made it a personal practice to clean any new firearm I buy....just want to get all the factory grease and grime out of it. Glad your pistol is working good for you!
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby Geezer » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:28 pm

I'm back with an update. The CPX-2 above ran 1200 consecutive rounds after the cleaning and lube. I then traded it to my shooting buddy and he ran another 800 rounds through it without a problem. All of these were after the original cleaning and it wasn't cleaned or lubed again. He traded it to a guy that did some carpenter work for him.

I regretted getting rid of it and had been looking for another one. The pawn shops around here keep them in stock but I don't want to pay their prices. I did find one for $190 shipped from a dealer that is getting out of the gun business due to health problems. It should be here this week. I think I will test it just like the first one.

The one at the top of this thread was purposely fired right out of the box without any cleaning. My thinking was that a lot of people are not really "gun people" but want a gun for home protection and don't want to pay Glock, SIG, HK, etc. prices. These people are very likely to just stick the gun in a drawer or nightstand and never fire it or at the most, a magazine or two. I was curious to see how the gun would function under these conditions. If a gun was cleaned and lubed correctly, it should run, right? I wanted to see how it did right out of the box. I'd say that it did very well.

Now, if someone asks me what would be a good working, but inexpensive gun to buy, I can honestly suggest a SCCY or a Hi Point. They are both inexpensive, they both work. The SCCY is more attractive than the Hi Point but will have more recoil than the Hi Point due to weight. I'd suggest they handle both, and shoot both if they can and make their own decision.

I'll let you know how the next new CPX-2 performs later on.
Geezer

Return to Range Reports