Federal UMC 9mm FTF

Forum for comments and questions regarding all ammunition types.

Federal UMC 9mm FTF

Postby Dudeman » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:59 am

I took 2 boxes of Federal UMC and 90% of the rounds took multiple trigger pulls to fire. My CPX2 is new (less than 300 rounds). Any one else having this problem?
Dudeman

Re: Federal UMC 9mm FTF

Postby HootmonSccy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:19 pm

Dudeman

I have a Gen 2 CPX-1 and it eats anything.. (I mostly use reloads, so all kinds of brass).. I would try another brand of bullet, but you should probably send the gun back to SCCY to have it checked out..
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby rogertc1 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:34 pm

Federal UMC ammo sucks...use Winchester fmj ammo. your problem is ammo not gun related.
I HAVE MORE GUNS THAN YOU.
rogertc1
Premium Member

Postby Sccy-Captain » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:46 pm

Federal does NOT make the UMC (union metallic corporation) ammunition, it is a Remington product. We (as well as others) have found the primers that Remington uses are more difficult to ignite than others, due to a harded primer material. Federal on the other hand is usually not an issue that includes the "American Eagle" line as well. Winchester, P.M.C., Independence, C.C.I., Blazer brass, and many others have good track records with the CPX series.

If you are using Remington ammo and experience failures to fire, try some Federal or Winchester before you give up on your Sccy and ship it back.
STAY AWAY from non-brass cased ammunition! Don't use Sellor and Bellot (Czech republic) notoriously hard primers, loaded mostly for sub-machine guns with more robust firing systems than ANY handgun. Another thing DO NOT lubricate firing pin!! this can cause the firing pin's movement to be impeded, resulting in fail to fire or light strikes on the primer. I would use a cleaning product that evaporates completely, to clean the fring pin and it's channel. Birchwood Casey has an excellent product called "Gun Scrubber" leaves virtually no residue. Be warned though, USE EYE PROTECTION when using this product, it will turn any man into a sobbing 5 year old in 2 seconds flat, if it gets in your eyes. <---I speak from experience, and it taste God awful too.
No such thing as knock down power,
only knock down accuracy
Sccy-Captain
Veteran Member

Postby rogertc1 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:00 am

Sorry old thread
I HAVE MORE GUNS THAN YOU.
rogertc1
Premium Member

Postby RK3369 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:27 pm

An update on the UMC.. I've shot probably 400 rounds through my CPX2 and had multiple misfires. The last trip, I had two rounds that took three strikes to go off. I won't carry the SCCY with that ammo.
Not blaming the gun, the primers in the ammo are not that good apparently. It woirks flawlessly with Federal, Winchester White box, Blazer Brass, Magtech, just doesn't seem to like the Remington.
RK3369

Return to Ammunition