Guys that reload Question for you?

Forum for comments and questions regarding all ammunition types.

Re: Guys that reload Question for you?

Postby jcwit » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:48 pm

I reload using lead bullets that I powder coat. No lube other than the powder coating.

Cost factor? Very inexpensive! Cost per round? A little less than .03 cents per round. But then cost may very on how you buy components. I've been reloading for way over 50 years, I highly recommend it to everyone who has some smarts.
jcwit
Veteran Member

Postby GoesBang » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:56 am

I replaced my my first bench with something a lot larger yesterday. Added a Little Lee press today for 40 S&W bulge busting.

The bulge buster is just 2 extra parts. Take the factory crimp die and remove the plug and steel inner sleeve. Replace the plus with the BB pass thru plug. Insert the push pin in the top slot of the ram.

Make an adjustment so the pin goes into the die at least 1/4".

Bust away!
Attachments
My presses.jpg
SCCY CPX-2-CB s/n 085x (Born on 4/25/13) Receiver replaced 3/14 s/n 129x
Ruger P95PR
Henry Golden Boy H004
Kel-Tec P11/P40
RIA 1911 Tactical FS 45 ACP
RIA M206 38 Special 2"

USMC 1976-79 3rd MAW Camp Pendleton, CA
HTTP://www.X-CalibearUSA.com
GoesBang
Veteran Member

Postby jimbojr85 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:56 pm

Oddly enough I had this question come up recently and while I have reloaded 9mm in the past there isn't much point in doing it now; 9mm plinking ammo is both affordable and available (at least for the time-being), and it should go without saying that you shouldn't reload your self-defense ammo, so for those reasons alone I don't see much point in reloading it. On the other hand if you have the components and you like doing it and have the time, then go for it!
jimbojr85
Forum Regular

Postby lamarw » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:28 pm

getvicious, I just saw your post requesting reloading cost. Please forgive me for not responding sooner.

I reload for 17 different calibers/gauges. It would be a task to account for each one. Some are rather obscure calibers like the .303 British and the 8mm Mauser. These rounds are expensive to reload due to the difficulty of finding brass. I buy powder, primers, brass and bullets in large quantities to spread our hazmat charges for powder and primers. Two of my prime powders for handgun rounds is Unique and Winchester 231. I have not seen either of these powders available in 8 lb. containers since right after the school shooting several years ago. I was lucky since I saw the shortage coming and ordered over five hundred dollars worth of powder and primers right after the last Presidential election and the school shooting. I still have a good supply on hand.

I will attempt to give an estimate to anyone who desires the information on a specific caliber and/or gauge I reload for but the cost data might be dated.

This is one issue that may reoccur after the recent terrorist shooting. Ammunition may also become a shortage issue with all the new firearms being purchased due to Christmas, terrorist concerns, and anti-2nd Amendment threats to our rights. I would recommend for anyone who chooses to take on reloading to check the availability of reloading components before jumping in the water.
Attachments
100_2810.JPG
Reload 2.jpg
lamarw
Seasoned Member

Postby lamarw » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:30 am

I just reloaded some .38 Special rounds today. Here is a breakdown of my estimated cost for these reloads. The hard cast lead bullet was 7 cents, the powder was 4.2 grains of Unique with a cost of 2 cents, the Winchester small pistol primer was 2 cents each, and the brass I bought at an estate sale and got for 2 cents each. In actuality brass would cost you more, buy you will get at least a dozen if not more reload for it. You get more from revolvers since you tend to loose less revolver brass than brass thrown awry from a semi-auto pistol. The total cost for each round of .38 Special was at today's estimated equaled 13 cents per round.
lamarw
Seasoned Member

Postby jimbojr85 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:42 pm

I know I said earlier that there wasn't much point in reloading 9mm because ammo is affordable, but the other day I was going through the reloading room and realized I had all the components: brass, primers, powder, bullets, to load up a few hundred rounds. I have been going through my reloading stuff and loading up what I can, with the assumption that the best way to store the components is in assembled cartridges.
I always start with the minimum listed load and work up from there; I use a heavier gun as my test gun and I increase the powder charge a tenth of a grain at a time until it functions reliably (the minimum loads sometimes fail to fully eject spent cases - especially with lighter bullets). Then I stop. If it works in the big gun, it works in all of my guns, and is still WAY below the maximum listed load (usually somewhere in the lower-middle of the recommended powder range. I chrono my loads to make sure they are about where they are supposed to be. All I want is good practice ammo, easy on powder and easy on my brass - not to mention easy on me and easy on the gun.
I know SCCY recommends not using reloads, but all manufacturers say that. Plus I think their concerns are mostly with reloaders who are trying to make special +p+ rounds, not the recreational shooter who produces mild, accurate cartridges for practicing.
It had been a while since I reloaded 9mm, and I had forgotten just how fun and easy it is to reload. If I didn't already have the components I am sure I would have left it alone, but I am looking forward to doing some more shooting now!
jimbojr85
Forum Regular

Postby Nam62 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:14 pm

I started reloading in 1958. Over the years I have amassed plenty of components and I am reloading at 1990 prices. Buy components on sale when you buy & get 2 or 3 of the item you are buying. If you want to cast bullets scrounge lead or wheel weights (preferably free). In the 80s I got a hold of about 500 lbs. of lead, starting to get a little low now.

At the range or where ever pick up all the brass you can find you may reload some other calibers in the future. I have loaded some steel case 223 & 45 acp with boxer primers to see if I could and they did work fine in my guns.

Today you need to scrounge to keep cost down...... This is a rough outline on how to cut cost..
Nam62

Postby lamarw » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:00 pm

Agree Nam62, I don't cast my own bullets, but have thought about it. I was just thinking the other night about where all the lead is going from the water pipes in Flint, Michigan. ??? One would think they could recycle it.
lamarw
Seasoned Member

Postby lamarw » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:11 am

I am currently stating a batch of .40 S&W reloads, and here is a break-down of my estimated cost:

1. Bullets - Precision Delta 180 grain FMJ @ a cost of 14 cents per round.

2. Primers - Winchester @ a cost of 3 cents per round.

3. Powder - Winchester W-231 @ a cost of 2 cents per round.

4. Brass - Various Previous Fired @ a prorated cost of 1 cent per round.

Total Cost per Round = 20 Cents Per Round (Based Upon Buying in Bulk and Does not Consider Labor (Pleasure) or Prorated Cost of Reloading Equipment.

Total Cost Box of 50 Rounds = $10.00

Total cost Box Cheap Blazer @ Retail Cost = $19.00
lamarw
Seasoned Member

Postby rickyblaze » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:04 pm

Our Walmart has Perfecta 115gr fmj brass boxer primed 9mm for $9.87 a box of 50. I can't reload that cheap for blasting ammo. They have been keeping in stock pretty regularly.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
rickyblaze

Postby lamarw » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:49 pm

I have seen post on a couple of other forums about the low cost of Perfecta 9mm at Walmart. Others seem to think it is manufactured by Fiocchi. If so, it should be good ammunition.

I can beat the cost by a couple of dollars on 9mm since I enjoy reloading and do not count my labor cost. In my neck of the woods property tax and income tax are low but sales tax is high. I would have to add 10% to the cost of store bought ammunition to its price. So almost 10 dollar a box would be close to 11 dollars around here.

It sounds like a great deal for those who choose not to reload or do not enjoy doing so.
lamarw
Seasoned Member

Postby economod » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:25 pm

That Perfecta at $10/50 from WalMart is good stuff.
It says "Made in Italy" on the front of the box, and "Distributed by: TULAMMO USA, INC" on the back.
It shoots great in my B6P, but is a little too long to cycle reliably thru my ammo-sensitive CPX.

Here's a link to pics and a discussion of it ... http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=62115.0
They talk about the possible Fiocchi roots, and show chrono results, +1130fps thru a 4.5" barrel.
2016 SCCY WOOD SHIMS > viewtopic.php?p=50025#p50025
9mm AMMO LENGTH > viewtopic.php?p=48248#p48248
CPX2 DESTROYED > viewtopic.php?p=51413#p51413
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Orangedotfever » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:39 pm

The Perfecta ammo is a Fiocchi product and did 993fps average out of my CPX-2.
Orangedotfever

Postby lamarw » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:52 pm

Picture of latest batch of .40 S&W Reloads. The brass is Federal nickel plated (disregard reflections on loose rounds in box). The bullets are Precision Delta FMJ 180 gr. The powder is Aliant Red Dot 4.5 grains and CCI primers.
Attachments
100_3203.JPG
100_3202.JPG
lamarw
Seasoned Member

Postby Drec » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:55 pm

Using some of the similar values for components that were previously mentioned, I put together a spreadsheet to see if reloading would be of a benefit to me. My wife and I are trying to get to the range once a week. We usually shoot about 150 rounds. If I can find a deal on ammo, with tax and out the door, it is about $23-$24. If I have the brass and buy the powder/primers/bullets, I can reload for about $0.14 per round; which is a savings of about $10 per hundred rounds or about $15 per outing. Multiply that be four, it is $60 per month. Being retired, that adds up and lets me shoot more.
Drec
Forum Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Ammunition