Got lucky at Wal Mart tonight.

Forum for comments and questions regarding all ammunition types.

Got lucky at Wal Mart tonight.

Postby gunstech » Fri May 31, 2013 9:49 pm

Not what your'e thinking.....LOL. I bought 3 boxes of Federal 9mm for roughly $12 a box of 50. I hope this is a good sign.
"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason
gunstech
Seasoned Member

Re: Got lucky at Wal Mart tonight.

Postby jeff7181 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:53 pm

Maybe supply is starting to come back after the government's multi-billion round order? :shock:
jeff7181
Seasoned Member

Postby gunstech » Fri May 31, 2013 9:59 pm

jeff7181 wrote:Maybe supply is starting to come back after the government's multi-billion round order? :shock:

I hope so brother! I'm ready to start putting some lead down range!
- George Mason
gunstech
Seasoned Member

Postby ChrisTX » Fri May 31, 2013 10:17 pm

You still have to get there an hour before the doors open on truck day at all the places around here. The only time I've ever heard of ammunition just sitting around was when we had big tornadoes blow through here. I still have a backorder through Cabelas.
ChrisTX
Veteran Member

Postby jeff7181 » Fri May 31, 2013 11:32 pm

ChrisTX wrote:You still have to get there an hour before the doors open on truck day at all the places around here. The only time I've ever heard of ammunition just sitting around was when we had big tornadoes blow through here. I still have a backorder through Cabelas.

If you need ammo, you should really use gunbot.net. I bought 1500 rounds this week for 30 to 36 cents per round... including some hollow points.
jeff7181
Seasoned Member

Postby ChrisTX » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:54 am

I looked at a place yesterday and shipping for two boxes was $20. I don't need it that bad.
ChrisTX
Veteran Member

Postby jeff7181 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:41 am

ChrisTX wrote:I looked at a place yesterday and shipping for two boxes was $20. I don't need it that bad.

"A" place isn't a good indication of what's out there, that site crawls over 70 online retailers. And an order of 2 boxes is on the small side. I ordered 5 boxes from www.aimsurplus.com and paid $13 shipping. But hey... if you're content with checking your local stores to see if you can actually find ammo on the shelves, go for it.
jeff7181
Seasoned Member

Postby h2otoo » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:41 am

Shipping can be a deal breaker with online ammo shopping. Buying in quantity spreads the cost out, meaning less $$ per box. I tend to buy from Cabela's when they have ammo, with a Cabela C.C. shipping is flat rate of 5$. Gander Mountain will ship free, but charges 7$ ammo handling charge (up from 5!). Freedom Munitions offeres a Mil. discount of 5%, that would off set some of the cost. I have never used their ammo, not yet anyhow.

Buy bulk if/when you can. It gets used up sooner or later.

All that said, I was at WalMart this week and they had Federal an Remington 9mm, I picked up 3 Feds for 13.something. Does that mean I got lucky?? :D

Bob
h2otoo
Veteran Member

Postby gunstech » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:59 am

h2otoo wrote:Shipping can be a deal breaker with online ammo shopping. Buying in quantity spreads the cost out, meaning less $$ per box. I tend to buy from Cabela's when they have ammo, with a Cabela C.C. shipping is flat rate of 5$. Gander Mountain will ship free, but charges 7$ ammo handling charge (up from 5!). Freedom Munitions offeres a Mil. discount of 5%, that would off set some of the cost. I have never used their ammo, not yet anyhow.

Buy bulk if/when you can. It gets used up sooner or later.

All that said, I was at WalMart this week and they had Federal an Remington 9mm, I picked up 3 Feds for 13.something. Does that mean I got lucky?? :D

Bob

LOL...yes, I would say you got lucky!
- George Mason
gunstech
Seasoned Member

Postby getvicious » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:08 am

Ammo has become an investment instrument.

I just looked at gunbot.net (6-1-2013 at 936AM EDT) and find these examples (prices before shipping / taxes are applied):
Remington 115gr UMC (FMC) $0.50 per round.
Range Master 115gr FMJ $0.60.
Prvi Partizan 115gr FMJ $0.79 per round.
PMC 115gr FMJ $1.08 per round.

Those prices are insane. How many hundreds percent have expenses increased in a year? Certainly not over 100% and no way 500%. :shock:

One notable exception to the over priced ammo is WalMart. They seem to be selling ammo, when they have it in stock, for only a few % higher than a year ago. Their small price increase is easily justified by inflation. Makes me wonder about the high price sellers. :?

Of course in a short while we may be looking back at these prices with longing. I just read "On June 3, President Barack Obama will sign the U.N. Arms Trade Treaty (ATT)."
http://www.infowars.com/obama-to-sign-international-gun-control-treaty-on-june-3rd/

If that's true prices for guns and ammo will skyrocket due to fear and the potential for non-US supplies becoming unavailable.

If prices stay high like now or go higher, as is likely IMHO based on the President signing the ATT treaty, I will be out of recreational shooting and my pistols will be fired only if needed for defense.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby ChrisTX » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:14 am

He's signing that dumb treaty to appease his base, but the Senate isn't going to ratify it.

I'm not bending over backwards to buy ammunition. I'm a little low on some calibers, but I have plenty of guns with enough caliber variance if I want go shooting. I've been enjoying shooting black powder and some of my old war guns as of late.
ChrisTX
Veteran Member

Postby k3m1c6 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:33 pm

I was able to get 3 boxes of Winchester 115 gr at my local Walmart for $12.00 at around 5 in the afternoon. First time I've actually seem any 9mm there.
k3m1c6

Postby getvicious » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:41 pm

k3m1c6 wrote:I was able to get 3 boxes of Winchester 115 gr at my local Walmart for $12.00 at around 5 in the afternoon. First time I've actually seem any 9mm there.

Good for you!

Who would ever have thought that buying ammunition at WalMart would be cause to celebrate...... :roll:
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Shawheim » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:53 pm

i work at walmart (loss prevention) and we get ammo in all the time. i just bought 4 250round mega packs of remington umc ($64 a box) and some Tula 2 weeks ago. we get federal ($13) and tula ($10.47) and winchester in all the time too. usually 100 packs of winchester white box and federal championship come too. just varies week to week what we get. some days we get sporadic ammo and some days we dont get any. plus side to it is i get 10% off ammo! what i have been told by the higher members of management was that Wal-mart was switching suppliers and that the new supplier was supposed to provide better shipments of ammo. here is a pic of a recent haul.
Shawheim

Postby gunstech » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:12 am

[quote="Shawheim"]i work at walmart (loss prevention) and we get ammo in all the time. i just bought 4 250round mega packs of remington umc ($64 a box) and some Tula 2 weeks ago. we get federal ($13) and tula ($10.47) and winchester in all the time too. usually 100 packs of winchester white box and federal championship come too. just varies week to week what we get. some days we get sporadic ammo and some days we dont get any. plus side to it is i get 10% off ammo! what i have been told by the higher members of management was that Wal-mart was switching suppliers and that the new supplier was supposed to provide better shipments of ammo. here is a pic of a recent haul.

thanks for the info!
- George Mason
gunstech
Seasoned Member

Return to Ammunition