Tulammo 9mm

Forum for comments and questions regarding all ammunition types.

Re: Tulammo 9mm

Postby jax gunslinger » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:08 pm

parkerd wrote:Jax, I throw that Tula Brassmax 380 through my Taurus TCP without problem. Except for the dirt that is. Find i have to clean out the mags as well after Tula.

That's good to know. I don't shoot my TCP much anymore, maybe one or two mags of HPR JHP per month. Have you seen the TCP ammo review that's floating around the youtube? I think I posted a link to it on this forum a while back.
here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH2eFby2T9E
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson ***PERMANENTLY BANNED MEMBER OF THE HPFF**
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby GoesBang » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:37 am

parkerd wrote:I have about 500 rounds of Remington JHP picked up cheap at Walmart over last year. Looked at reviews for it and some think it's wonderful, and some not so good. Like everything else, a thousand opinions. But fired enough of it in the 738 to know it loads, fires, and eject 100% of the time in that gun - so that is as much comfort as anything else.

I've shot the Remington 115 JHP with ZERO issues.
SCCY CPX-2-CB s/n 085x (Born on 4/25/13) Receiver replaced 3/14 s/n 129x
Ruger P95PR
Henry Golden Boy H004
Kel-Tec P11/P40
RIA 1911 Tactical FS 45 ACP
RIA M206 38 Special 2"

USMC 1976-79 3rd MAW Camp Pendleton, CA
HTTP://www.X-CalibearUSA.com
GoesBang
Veteran Member

Postby babsc01 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:45 am

GV...I've been trying to remember my source regarding the BrassMAXX specs. However, I cannot locate.

My recollection was that someone wrote about the BrassMAXX casings being made slightly longer than normal 9x19 specs. That may have been an isolated batch or incident...I don't know.
Smith & Wesson SD9 VE
SCCY CPX-2 Gen 2
Hi-Point JCP .40 S&W
Kahr CW9 (wifey's carry)
Ruger SR22
Remington 597 .22LR Rifle
Stevens Model 320 Security 12-gauge Shotgun
babsc01
Seasoned Member

Postby jax gunslinger » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:24 pm

parkerd wrote:Thanks. If I read that before I forgot I did. That's the one great thing about getting older, you can enjoy the same things over and over and still think it is the first time. I have about 500 rounds of Remington JHP picked up cheap at Walmart over last year. Looked at reviews for it and some think it's wonderful, and some not so good. Like everything else, a thousand opinions. But fired enough of it in the 738 to know it loads, fires, and eject 100% of the time in that gun - so that is as much comfort as anything else.

I was running Hornady Critical Defense in most everything I carried. But after watching some of these 380 ammo reviews, I've changed my mind. The Hornady had very poor reviews in the short barreled TCP, but shot fantastic in the longer barreled Bersa Thunder. I think as far as 9mm goes it probably wouldn't make much of a difference as long as it cycled well. But, if your carrying a 380 you definitely want as much penetration and expansion as you can get especially if you're only packing 7 rounds.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson ***PERMANENTLY BANNED MEMBER OF THE HPFF**
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby Michael Copeland » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:20 am

The cheap TulAmmo steelcase doesn't feed very well in my CPX 2, although it works ok in my High power. The Brassmaxx 100 rd "can" ammo runs flawlessly through it. I use Speer Lawman hp when I carry.
Michael Copeland

Postby getvicious » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:38 pm

babsc01 wrote:GV...I've been trying to remember my source regarding the BrassMAXX specs. However, I cannot locate.

My recollection was that someone wrote about the BrassMAXX casings being made slightly longer than normal 9x19 specs. That may have been an isolated batch or incident...I don't know.

I can't speak to BrassMAXX meeting specs since I've never measured any. I do know their rounds look no different set against Federal or Winchester FMJ ammo. This, admittedly unscientific evaluation, leads me to believe they meet size specs. Also, BrassMAXX FMJ shoots very well in my CPX.

Here's a link to the final results of shootingthebull.net's .380 self-defense ammo testing:
http://shootingthebull.net/blog/final-results-of-the-380-acp-ammo-quest/
The results surprised me.

Check out these links to his 9mm testing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKE4VKPRFTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVq5OO0TVMM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lGqdMdbir0

Hornady Critical Defense 115 Grain FTX, Federal Premium HST 124-grain jacketed hollow point, part #P9HST1 and Cor®Bon DPX® 115-grain +p solid copper hollow point, part #DPX09115/20 all did really well.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Maine Guide » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:56 pm

I have used both brass & steel Tulammo in my CPX-2 with no feed issues other than mis-feed caused by a tired magazine spring (magazine had been on the shelf, loaded, for several weeks) cured by switching to another magazine.
Maine Guide

Postby sccytoter » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:33 pm

I have never had any issues with Tula ammo, steel or brass cased. It is dirty, but I clean my guns after every shooting session, so I have never had any problems.
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby Sgtrock1962 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:05 am

Tula is very common here in MN, so I shoot it in my SCCY, Taurus PT92AFS, and my Zastava M90. But stay
away from Lacquer coated casings with the SCCY. Short barrel makes it heat up enough to make the cartridge stick
in the barrel, and you need to work hard to clear it. Tula is cheap for the range, but if you are using it for Defense,
Get a box of Federal. Hopefully we don't need to use it. God Bless America
Sgtrock1962

Postby sccytoter » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:15 pm

Sgtrock1962 wrote:Tula is very common here in MN, so I shoot it in my SCCY, Taurus PT92AFS, and my Zastava M90. But stay
away from Lacquer coated casings with the SCCY. Short barrel makes it heat up enough to make the cartridge stick
in the barrel, and you need to work hard to clear it. Tula is cheap for the range, but if you are using it for Defense,
Get a box of Federal. Hopefully we don't need to use it. God Bless America
Your right. Any of the Lacquer coated ammo can begin to bake off, in the chamber. It is tough to get out, and can eventually lead to spent cases not ejecting. The Tula pistol ammo I have picked up at times, I don't believe has any Lacquer coating on them.
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby Lovin' it » Fri May 22, 2015 8:57 am

Man Scout-My new CPX-2 jsut wouldn't shoot Blazer FMJ. One hangup after another. The factory sent me new mags, they took the gun back and replaced the extractor-when it cam back, just more of the same. as many as 5 FTE out of a 10 round Mag. Finally decided to try different ammo. Remington and Lawman both shot flawlessly-not one hiccup. When I took the first round out of the Remington box, I noticed that the round looked perceptively shorter than the Blazer. My range office confirmed that. I wish I had more experience and would have tried this sooner.
Lovin' it

Previous

Return to Ammunition