147gr WWB

Forum for comments and questions regarding all ammunition types.

147gr WWB

Postby Unown » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:00 pm

I have good luck with WWB 115gr FMJ for range use, I got some WWB 147gr FMJ with the flat tip. The 147gr has had some issues with failure to feed it also caused the only stovepipe I have ever had. I thought they were maybe longer so I got out the micrometer and the 147gr flat tip average about 40 thousandths shorter overall then the 115gr so I was wrong. I went back to the 115gr without any problems at all. All of the other dimensions are within tolerance on both including casing diameter. I measured the diameter of several of each and they all seem to run about the same. Is it the flat tip? Is it the fact that they are shorter? Any Ideas?
EDC CPX2 CB
DOB: 05/15/2013
We are advised by the present administration to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few.
Unown
Seasoned Member

Re: 147gr WWB

Postby grandpa1466 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:54 am

In working up some 9mm reloads, I find that the SCCY chamber is tighter (less tolerance) and maybe shorter than most 9mm. Cartridges at manual spec overall length loaded fine in my Ruger P95 and other guns but wouldn't chamber in my SCCY. I find that some of the lead bullets are thicker at the shoulder than others, and those had to be seated deeper, some less than the recommended C.O.L. to feed and chamber (I lowered the powder charge in doing so). The good news is those cartridges are very accurate and show no pressure signs. I was shooting bulls eye after bulls eye at 15 yards, which I wasn't doing with factory ammo. It's not so much the length of the bullet itself as the width of the bullet as it tapers to the top. However, I wasn't having FTE or FTF; they simply weren't allowing the slide to go into battery.
"The thing about quotes on the internet is you cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln
grandpa1466
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:24 am

I would guess it's the flat tip on the Bullet. I've shot WWB FMJ 115 grain with the normal pointy tip and WWB JHP 147 grain without issue. I've seen others have issues with flat tip .380 Rounds on other forums. In those cases their issues were eliminated when they went to the regular pointy tip Rounds.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby GoesBang » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:54 am

I fired 200 rounds of hand cast lead flat tip 124 gr reloads through without one glitch.
SCCY CPX-2-CB
Ruger P95PR
Henry Golden Boy H004
Sig Sauer P226
RIA 1911 Tactical FS 45 ACP
RIA M206 38 Special 2"
RIA M200 38 Special 4”
Taurus PT940
Marlin 336W/989M2/Camp 9

USMC 1976-79 3rd MAW Camp Pendleton, CA
HTTP://www.X-CalibearUSA.com
GoesBang
Veteran Member

Postby Unown » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:55 am

I think that I will give them to my son he shoots a Kahr CW9 if they won't work with mine. I only got them to use at the range. I still got about 2 boxes left. I do have quite a few boxes of the 115gr left that I can use for practice. I've never had a problem like this with my CPX2. I know that most JHP round are shorter and all that I have tried have cycled without issue. SCCY did send me a couple of new mags to try with those rounds If they help I will keep them and send back the ones that came with it. On the new mags the follower seems to come farther out. I don't know if my springs were just worn out or they changed the mags. I contacted them and told them the issue and asked for new springs. They sent me new mags and a recoil rod. I am headed for the range on Tuesday. I guess we will find out then.
Thanks for the input. All help is always appreciated.
EDC CPX2 CB
We are advised by the present administration to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few.
Unown
Seasoned Member

Postby Unown » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:10 am

I'm a little late replying but I solved the problem and shot all of the 147gr rounds with out any problems. I got to looking at the extractor as the rounds were being picked up by the slide by moving the slide slowly. They came out of the mag just fine and pushed the extractor out of the way instead of sliding into the groove like it is suppose too. I never "drop in" a round I always use the slide to chamber, I know better that that. I checked the extractor with a magnifying glass and it had a burr at the bottom. I took some jewelers files and just cleaned it up a little bit at a time until all surfaces were what appeared to be back to the original shape. Nice and clean. Dropped the slide on one and it chambered and ejected just like it was suppose too. Went to the range and they all worked without any FTF or FTE. I read on the forum that someone else had had the same issue and solved it the same way. This firearm had more that 600 or 700 rounds through it when it started to have problems. So I got a spare extractor and have been watching this one. It seems to be holding up just fine. A week or so later I sent it in to get the pins replaced (that's another story). Jason replaced the extractor spring at the time and said it was weak so maybe that's what got the problem started. I haven't been to the range yet to try the new pins and extractor spring. I'll update when I do. I was going to head to the range on Tuesday this week but we got about 10" of snow with drifts 2 to 3 feet deep on my road that day. I still have not been able to get out yet, we are use to getting snowed in a couple times every winter we don't mind. They will get to us eventually.
EDC CPX2 CB
Unown
Seasoned Member

Return to Ammunition