Wow, this is some nasty looking Ammo

Forum for comments and questions regarding all ammunition types.

Re: Wow, this is some nasty looking Ammo

Postby Nogg » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:53 pm

From what I have read in multiple sources is they haven't had any failures, I really like that they have been engineered to NOT defeat level 3 body armor.. So police and such shouldn't be pushing too much for them to be banned..Like you i wish I could buy fewer rds.. I might make the round my first round and then my zombies LOL
Nogg

Postby cjrhoades » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:49 pm

Seems it doesn't work nearly as well as they say it does:
cjrhoades

Postby DoulosXristou » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:35 am

cjrhoades wrote:Seems it doesn't work nearly as well as they say it does:

I saw that too, this morning. I'll still take a few rounds just for the "exotic ammo" cool factor. 8)
~Chris
"when talking defensive tools/weapons...pretty is as pretty does." ~ Sccy-Captain

Sccy CPX-2TT 092XXX
CZ 75D PCR Compact w/ Factory TruDot Night Sights B4411XX
DoulosXristou
Forum Regular

Postby ChrisTX » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:07 pm

This was a marketing ploy from the get go. RIP? Some scary looking bullets? Please. For the price they want, they probably figure to get as much as they can before people wise up and realize the round is garbage.
ChrisTX
Veteran Member

Postby GoesBang » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:37 pm

Now here's some more marketing with a purpose.

Http://www.jihawg.com
Attachments
JiHawg.jpg
SCCY CPX-2-CB
Ruger P95PR
Henry Golden Boy H004
Sig Sauer P226
RIA 1911 Tactical FS 45 ACP
RIA M206 38 Special 2"
RIA M200 38 Special 4”
Taurus PT940
Marlin 336W/989M2/Camp 9

USMC 1976-79 3rd MAW Camp Pendleton, CA
HTTP://www.X-CalibearUSA.com
GoesBang
Veteran Member

Postby gunstech » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:12 pm

Interesting, I guess it is what they say it is...a nasty looking round, but thats about it.
"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason
gunstech
Seasoned Member

Postby getvicious » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:50 pm

That is an interesting video that cjrhoades posted. It's hard for me to believe there's such a hugely better bullet available when you consider how competitive the ammo market is (especially the defensive ammo market), how good existing defensive rounds are and that even though this stuff is just hitting the retail market there's no apparent rush from other manufacturers to go to a similar bullet.

That video reinforces my skepticism.

I've seen the web site of the Jihawg ammo before. Their marketing reminds me a little bit of the Zombie Max marketing but with less widespread appeal.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Man Scout Cookies » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:19 am

Does anyone know if the G2R rip is a round that would be considered armor piercing by Illinois state law?

The law for reference:
720 Ill. Comp. Stat. 5/24-2.1(a). “Armor piercing bullet” means any handgun bullet or handgun ammunition with projectiles or projectile cores constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper or depleted uranium, or fully jacketed bullets larger than 22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25% of the total weight of the projectile, excluding those handgun projectiles whose cores are composed of soft materials such as lead or lead alloys, zinc or zinc alloys, frangible projectiles designed primarily for sporting purposes.

the main concern is that it is a solid copper round.
I feel that it wouldn't fall under the AP category due to the round being a hollow point and the bullet being (possibly) less than 25% of the weight of the cartridge however this part is in reference to fully jacketed rounds. I have seen similar rounds in Illinois such as the Corbon dpx solid copper hollowpoint but I am unsure if those fall under the same AP category in regaurds to Illinois law.

I know this is something to ask people who are versed in Illinois law and can give a definitive answer but since this round is so new I thought I would ask the laymans opinion.
Man Scout Cookies
Forum Regular

Postby gunstech » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:35 am

Rated RR does a good video on this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTpceymbX6w
- George Mason
gunstech
Seasoned Member

Postby getvicious » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:17 pm

gunstech wrote:Rated RR does a good video on this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTpceymbX6w

Interesting. Now to really compare this stuff to "conventional" self-defense ammo we need to see the exact same tests done with the exact same pistol under the same conditions. Only then may a comparison be made. I'd like to see that. 8)

This stuff is impressive hitting things in slow motion, but so is all other ammo. The only way to draw a conclusion about two, or more, items is to test each of them exactly the same so you may compare the results.

So far, based on the RIP marketing videos and individual tests like this one, I don't see anything to indicate this ammo is 2 to 5 times better than other "conventional" self defense ammo. But hey, I'll keep watching because it is interesting and you just never know.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Longitude Zero » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:27 pm

Gimmick. POS ammo. The gel shots tell me this is not worth a damn in a self defense situation where deep penetration with the largest intact projectile is what you want. The little fingers that splay off quickly are pretty much useless in substantial wounding ability.
Longitude Zero

Postby gunstech » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:04 pm

Although I wouldn't use it because of the cost alone....your not going to live with good shot placement of this round.
- George Mason
gunstech
Seasoned Member

Postby Longitude Zero » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:16 pm

gunstech wrote:Although I wouldn't use it because of the cost alone....your not going to live with good shot placement of this round.

The same could be said of Hornady Critical Defense/Duty ammo.
Longitude Zero

Postby DoulosXristou » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:13 pm

Longitude Zero wrote:
gunstech wrote:Although I wouldn't use it because of the cost alone....your not going to live with good shot placement of this round.

The same could be said of Hornady Critical Defense/Duty ammo.

ShootingTheBull410 did a ballistics test out of a 3" barrel of the Critical Defense and of the Critical Duty rounds. The duty did not perform well, but the Critical Defense were superb. Yes, shot placement is critical, but having a functional round with a bullet which penetrates adequately without over-penetration, and expands for maximum internal damage, will reduce collateral damage and ideally stop the threat more quickly and surely than would an FMJ or gimmick/exotic round without similar ballistic properties.

~Chris
"when talking defensive tools/weapons...pretty is as pretty does." ~ Sccy-Captain

Sccy CPX-2TT 092XXX
CZ 75D PCR Compact w/ Factory TruDot Night Sights B4411XX
DoulosXristou
Forum Regular

Previous

Return to Ammunition