Lesson Learned

Forum for comments and questions regarding all ammunition types.

Lesson Learned

Postby babsc01 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:49 pm

In a nutshell, I won't use WPA Military Classic anymore in my CPX-2.

I recently replaced my extractor after it chipped while using WPA for the first time a few weeks ago. Went to the range yesterday for three main reasons:

1. to see if I could replicate & confirm that WPA caused the chipped extractor
2. to ensure that my replacement of the extractor was done correctly
3. to make sure I can trust this weapon with my life as an EDC gun

A quick summary...I had about 700 FLAWLESS rounds through my CPX-2 (serial #073xxx) until my ejector broke. Sent it back to SCCY where the techs replaced the ejector and performed the trigger upgrade. Went to test it out a few weeks ago, and had some trouble after using some WPA I bought at a gun show. The range tech had to rescue me, and that ended up in a chipped extractor. SCCY graciously sent me a new one, and I replaced it on my own.

Went to the range to put about 200 rounds through it. I had a couple of FTFs and FTEs with the WPA ammo, but no problems with the other ammo I tried (Aguila, Herters, and Hornady). I've also determined that the CPX-2 really likes the Aguila 124gr rounds...no problems at all and they were all on target.

Even though it may be cheap in price, I would not recommend using the WPA in the CPX-2. I saved a couple of the spent WPA shells to analyze them...they all had a small dent & scratch near the lip of the shell. None of the other brands did.
Smith & Wesson SD9 VE
SCCY CPX-2 Gen 2
Hi-Point JCP .40 S&W
Kahr CW9 (wifey's carry)
Ruger SR22
Remington 597 .22LR Rifle
Stevens Model 320 Security 12-gauge Shotgun
babsc01
Seasoned Member

Re: Lesson Learned

Postby getvicious » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:08 am

babsc01 wrote:In a nutshell, I won't use WPA Military Classic anymore in my CPX-2.

I recently replaced my extractor after it chipped while using WPA for the first time a few weeks ago. Went ......

Went to the range to put about 200 rounds through it. I had a couple of FTFs and FTEs with the WPA ammo, but no problems with the other ammo I tried (Aguila, Herters, and Hornady). I've also determined that the CPX-2 really likes the Aguila 124gr rounds...no problems at all and they were all on target.

Even though it may be cheap in price, I would not recommend using the WPA in the CPX-2. I saved a couple of the spent WPA shells to analyze them...they all had a small dent & scratch near the lip of the shell. None of the other brands did.

Looks like you identified the cause of your issue. 8)
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Return to Ammunition