New Owner of CPX 1, with some Questions

Forum for comments and questions regarding all ammunition types.

New Owner of CPX 1, with some Questions

Postby DonJ » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:45 am

First time 9mm semi-auto owner. Had revolvers in past. Any basic tips on the SCCY 9mm? BTW - should have delivery next Wednesday and off to the range. Basic question on ammo - what is best for range and what if best for home defense? Rim fire or center fire or is this a center fire handgun? Maybe I should wait and see what the manual tells me.

Thanks in advance,
DonJ
DonJ

Re: New Owner of CPX 1, with some Questions

Postby PattonWasRight » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:04 am

Hello Don ... welcome to the SCCY club.

The SCCY / all 9mm's are centerfire. I'll assume the "is it a handgun" part is due to lack of coffee before posting ;-)

With any small, light semi auto handgun, you need to increase your grip force and think of 'locking' your wrist. The receiver needs a more solid platform to leverage against so the slide can cycle full force and not be dampened by a weak or "limp wrist" as it's called.

Start with cheap but factory made ammo at first to become familar. Then for personal defense, with a short 3" barrel you want a bit lighter bullet so it has a chance to get up to higher velocities and penetrate more. That may seem to be contradictory, but that's a tradeoff. For me FWIW I use Hornady "Critical Defense" which is made specifically for the short barreled CCW handguns. It pretty much gets the nod testing wise as the best choice. http://www.hornady.com/store/9mm-Luger- ... l-Defense/

Good luck.
Just Your Average Jewish Redneck.
PattonWasRight
Seasoned Member

Postby madmax » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:18 am

First off welcome to the forum from the Black Hills of South Dakota where the West begins. I have found that my CPX-2 likes PMC ball ammo and Magtech ammo and that"s what I use for the range. I carry a variety of SD ammo Magtech, Sig, Corbon. My advise buy a few different brands see what works in your gun and stick with it. Have a great day.
Max
USCG Ret.
madmax
Veteran Member

Postby DonJ » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:29 am

I will make sure I get used to the action and test out different ammo. I am for the Great State of Texas, Dallas- Fort Worth area, where we believe in guns, guns, guns and lots of pick up trucks. Thanks for the welcome.

One more question: best place to buy ammo from stores: Cabela's, Dicks Sporting Goods, Walmart? They are all nearby.
DonJ

Postby HootmonSccy » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:18 pm

Welcome from Tampa Bay...
Full metal jacket for practice.. enough hollow points to make sure the gun cycles it fine.
Keep us updated...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby PattonWasRight » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:36 pm

DonJ wrote:
One more question: best place to buy ammo from stores: Cabela's, Dicks Sporting Goods, Walmart?
For most dependable supply & selection, best bet is Cabela's, plus they have more sales than either of the other two, and they are 'spotty' in terms of supply & selection. As mentioned by Hoot, get non hollow point cheap "full metal jacket" for practice, and then a hollow point for self defense, but make sure you get a few boxes to make sure it feeds. Buy the expensive stuff, these rounds count.
Just Your Average Jewish Redneck.
PattonWasRight
Seasoned Member

Postby sccytoter » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:05 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby LareP » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:08 pm

Excellent answers from everyone. Basically it comes down to a personal decision and your budget. I used to go for the bestest, most expensive, most marketed stuff that claimed to be the worlds end in ammo.

What I've learned over the years, and something that has dramatically improved my own ability to consistently hit the center ring at distances up to 30' ammo wise, is to practice with what you carry. You'll be better for it in an actual defensive situation by being more confident of hitting the head or center mass (seldom actually accomplished in real defensive positions) and your overall shooting ability.

This was very expensive for a long time at $1.25 + each round because I carried pretty expensive stuff. Visiting a range once or twice per month cut into my general expenses, so I had to do something to make my wife happy about it.

Only about 400 rounds ago did I find Winchester train & defend ammo. It runs excellent in my SCCY, shoots clean with less recoil, and you can get the ball ammo for practice and JHP for carry.

Less recoil, reliable expansion and good penetration. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIxjQwzyHZ4 AND https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duDccQgbZzI

Why carry a gun? Because a whole cop would be to heavy
LareP
Forum Regular

Postby DonJ » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:50 pm

LareP wrote:Excellent answers from everyone. Basically it comes down to a personal decision and your budget. I used to go for the bestest, most expensive, most marketed stuff that claimed to be the worlds end in ammo.

What I've learned over the years, and something that has dramatically improved my own ability to consistently hit the center ring at distances up to 30' ammo wise, is to practice with what you carry. You'll be better for it in an actual defensive situation by being more confident of hitting the head or center mass (seldom actually accomplished in real defensive positions) and your overall shooting ability.

This was very expensive for a long time at $1.25 + each round because I carried pretty expensive stuff. Visiting a range once or twice per month cut into my general expenses, so I had to do something to make my wife happy about it.

Only about 400 rounds ago did I find Winchester train & defend ammo. It runs excellent in my SCCY, shoots clean with less recoil, and you can get the ball ammo for practice and JHP for carry.

Less recoil, reliable expansion and good penetration. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIxjQwzyHZ4 AND https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duDccQgbZzIThanks for the great info. Thanks to all for the welcome advice and for the warm welcome. Experience is a great teacher . . . I know that in my profession. Anyway, I'm sure I will enjoy my new SCCY 9mm and be better off for it. My wife too, which because of it's size and light weight is one reason I thought it would be good for us. She will learn to shoot this too.

Thanks again from deep in the heart of Texas,
DonJ

Why carry a gun? Because a whole cop would be to heavy
DonJ

Postby getvicious » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:14 am

Howdy and welcome from NC.

You might check out these SCCY site pages:
http://www.sccy.com/sites/default/files/SCCY-Manual-December-2013.pdf
http://www.sccy.com/faqs

For practice, I shoot:
Federal Champion 115 Grain FMJ
TulAmmo BrassMAXX 115 Grain FMJ

I have other FMJ ammo that worked well in my original CPX but haven't fired it thru this CPX yet.

For carry ammo. I use:
Hornady Critical Defense 115 Grain FTX

I find Walmart normally has as good of selection and better prices for the FMJ stuff I use as any other place. Once in a while there will be a great sale that beats Walmart's prices or is for some ammo they don't carry that I want to try so I'll get some. I find that, most the time, sale prices other places are no better than Walmart prices - again, mostly for FMJ ammo. The Critical Defense I usually get at Dick's. Runs about $21.00 per box, at least the last time I bought any.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Cashley1 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:03 pm

For practice you can pick up a 100 round box of winchester fmj for about $30 at walmart I carry Remington golden saber jhp.Golden saber comes in 25 round boxes that usuallyretail in the $25 range. Both work flawlessly in my cpx-1 and i have fired several hundred rounds of each.have fun at the range and keep safe
Chase from ALABAMA
Cashley1

Postby Semachiah » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:57 pm

That was the first question I asked at the gun shop where I bought my Gen 1. The store owner handed me a box of Aguila 9 MM Luger FMJ/115 grain.

Next I asked why? He replied since the average self defense use is between 7-21 feet this will stop even a Rhino from charging =D

Then I looked around at prices & rarely does anyone beat his prices & if they do it is not by much. Rather than look at big stores look local first. Compare online however at Cheaper-than-dirt or Sportsman's guide. They both (I believe) send you updates when the ammo you want is on sale.
Semachiah

Postby jeff7181 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:37 am

The only ammo I've had an issue with in my CPX2 is aluminum cased CCI Blazer ammo. Once was a stove pipe, which I'll blame on my friend who was shooting it for the first time limp wristing it. The second was a failure to fire... second strike fired it (which is one reason I really like double action pistols for self defense).
jeff7181
Seasoned Member

Return to Ammunition