GR2 R.I.P ammo

Forum for comments and questions regarding all ammunition types.

GR2 R.I.P ammo

Postby derekallen24 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:03 pm

Anyone have this in their EDC ? Any thoughts or opinions on this new ammo?
uploadfromtaptalk1424142190512.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1424142182924.jpg
derekallen24

Re: GR2 R.I.P ammo

Postby derekallen24 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:04 pm

I currently have Hornady Critical Defense loaded in mine.
derekallen24

Postby getvicious » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:48 pm

Check out the testing by ShootingTheBull410. He does the best testing I've seen. He uses standard methods and objective measures rather than "feel" or shooting fruit.

His testing showed these rounds to not be any better then more standard JHP ammo. In fact they seem to be less effective.

The 3rd video he explains his findings and conclusions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psGFPRpWZ3w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_27b9P0dfuI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hpoyioicVU

One thing to ask is if this new design is so superior, why is no one else making ammo like this?
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Pony Soldier » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:26 am

There is a recall on the 45 cal. due to compatability issues. You can do a web search and find a few sites on this. As for the ammo itself you might have second thoughts if using this and a death occurs. A prosecuting attorney would tell the jury this is a shoot to kill bullet and the user had no intention of merly wounding.
Such as this attorneys warning I found;
Evan Farley - As a criminal defense attorney I can say that poisoning the jury, especially in more anti-gun locations is not nearly as easily defended against as you may think. A "piss poor" prosecutor wouldn't be able to sway the jury as effectively as a good prosecutor, speaking with regards to competency and experience. As a gun enthusiast I'm offended when the prosecution does it, but it is something that truly shouldn't be discounted when choosing ammunition and a firearm. A jury is more dangerous than a predator any day of the week.
Pony Soldier
Seasoned Member

Postby Homey237 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:09 pm

I'd be interested in what the "medical" profession feels about this round. After all, they have to go in an retrieve and/all pieces of the projectile........
Homey237

Postby mikie » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:31 pm

I don't think I would want to trust my life on an "experimental" ammunition. The manufacturer has put out all kinds of videos touting it's performance but until real world experiences become known, I'll stick with my Federal HST rounds.
mikie
Forum Regular

Postby r.montoure » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:25 am

Novelty stuff
r.montoure

Postby wrearick » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:39 pm

I have some of those rounds alternating with HydraShocks and Hornaday Critical Defense JHP.
wrearick
Veteran Member

Postby wrearick » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:52 pm

Pony Soldier wrote:There is a recall on the 45 cal. due to compatability issues. You can do a web search and find a few sites on this. As for the ammo itself you might have second thoughts if using this and a death occurs. A prosecuting attorney would tell the jury this is a shoot to kill bullet and the user had no intention of merly wounding.
Evan Farley - As a criminal defense attorney I can say that poisoning the jury, especially in more anti-gun locations is not nearly as easily defended against as you may think. A "piss poor" prosecutor wouldn't be able to sway the jury as effectively as a good prosecutor, speaking with regards to competency and experience. As a gun enthusiast I'm offended when the prosecution does it, but it is something that truly shouldn't be discounted when choosing ammunition and a firearm. A jury is more dangerous than a predator any day of the week.

I also heard something similar from a pro-2A attorney here in Virginia. I don't believe in warning shots, I don't believe in shooting to injure. I train to fire at center of mass and to continue firing until the threat is no longer a threat. If I find myself in a position where I need to use a firearm to protect myself I am not trying to scare or warn someone, I am shooting to stop the bad guy, killing someone is a likely result of that action and if I do it right the outcome does not depend upon the round I use, but how many I put on target.
That said, I respect the opinion of the lawyer I spoke with and the one you spoke with and it would not be the first or last time that I find myself shaking my head in disbelief at the "laws" and restrictions that apply to those who would exercise their god given right to defend themselves or their loved ones.
wrearick
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:17 pm

wrearick wrote:
Pony Soldier wrote:There is a recall on the 45 cal. due to compatability issues. You can do a web search and find a few sites on this. As for the ammo itself you might have second thoughts if using this and a death occurs. A prosecuting attorney would tell the jury this is a shoot to kill bullet and the user had no intention of merly wounding.

I also heard something similar from a pro-2A attorney here in Virginia. I don't believe in warning shots, I don't believe in shooting to injure. I train to fire at center of mass and to continue firing until the threat is no longer a threat. If I find myself in a position where I need to use a firearm to protect myself I am not trying to scare or warn someone, I am shooting to stop the bad guy, killing someone is a likely result of that action and if I do it right the outcome does not depend upon the round I use, but how many I put on target.
That said, I respect the opinion of the lawyer I spoke with and the one you spoke with and it would not be the first or last time that I find myself shaking my head in disbelief at the "laws" and restrictions that apply to those who would exercise their god given right to defend themselves or their loved ones.

Shoot to injure is really shoot to miss. The reason the military trains to shoot center mass is the likelihood is increased of hitting the enemy. You will move a bit when shooting. Aiming center mass gives you a greater range of movement than say an arm does. You're not shooting to kill, you're shooting to stop the attack. Center mass gives the best chance of hitting the person you're shooting at, and not some other person or a family member, thereby stopping the attack.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby 1Tater » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:53 pm

I have shot/experimented with many different defense rounds and currently carry Hornady critical defense and G2 RIP. I alternate the rounds 2x2 with first two Hornady. The Hornady seems to preform better against more solid (glass, metal, wood etc) while the G2 is great against softer targets (flesh, leather, jean etc) and produces a great cavity. Never had any problems with either round through the CPX2.
1Tater

Postby wrench459 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:49 pm

Rest-in-peace my ars.
If I'm in a life or death position and I get the upper hand.
The bad guy is going to rot in hell.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Return to Ammunition