115 gr LSWC

Forum for comments and questions regarding all ammunition types.

115 gr LSWC

Postby gittist » Thu May 07, 2015 7:41 pm

Anyone had any experience with 115 Grain Lead semi-wad cutters? I just loaded a hundred with titegroup. Shot 10 with my CPX 2 and had 3 failure to feeds? They feed ok in my M&P.
gittist

Re: 115 gr LSWC

Postby jimbojr85 » Fri May 08, 2015 6:55 am

I haven't had time to develop reloads for my SCCY, but mine has proven to be a little finicky with the 115 gr lead flat-nose reloads I originally cooked up for my Smith & Wesson 6906. It feeds them fine, but the fired cases exhibited flattened primers even though it is a relatively mild loading of AA#5. I don't recall off the top of my head what the charge was but it was only powerful enough to reliably cycle the S&W, and sometimes the primers I used (CCI small pistol) required a second-strike before igniting the round.
So for the most part I am sticking with domestic brass-cased stuff in the SCCY, and it has given me no trouble whatsoever with Hornady, Winchester, American Eagle, Federal or Remington factory ammo.
Perhaps later I will brew up a fairly mild practice load for the SCCY using a lower density powder and different primers, but until then I am going to stick with the aforementioned factory ammo. As it is, plinking ammo for 9mm is fairly affordable so I am not feeling particularly anxious to start loading it up.
jimbojr85
Forum Regular

Postby gittist » Sat May 09, 2015 1:05 pm

I toned down my recipe for the 115 gr SWC and actually went below the starting load but still get a FTF on the last round in the magazine. I shot a concealed match this morning using 125 LRN and they fed fine.
gittist

Postby jimbojr85 » Sun May 10, 2015 8:50 am

I would just stick with round nose, flat point or truncated cone bullets.
I just did a quick check of the interweb and can't find any major companies offering factory-loaded 9mm SWC ammo. Midway doesn't even offer 9mm LSWC bullets, so they don't seem to be very popular with 9mm shooters.
I am guessing that the bullet design, with the relatively sharp edge near the case mouth, is not conducive to reliable feeding in semi-automatic handguns. Yes I know that some guns probably work just fine with them, but apparently the SCCY is not one of those.
Now you have me wanting to go and experiment with some 9mm loads for my SCCY :)
jimbojr85
Forum Regular

Postby sccytoter » Sun May 10, 2015 11:44 pm

Yeah, the two M&P's I have will eat just about anything. My CPX-2 is just a tad bit more ammo sensitive.
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Return to Ammunition