Ammo with less kick

Forum for comments and questions regarding all ammunition types.

Re: Ammo with less kick

Postby bobbylee666 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:19 pm

punisher83 wrote:Winchester makes a train and defend round where the recoil, ballistics, and shape match. It's made for short barrels and designed for less recoil. Check it out on shooting the bull 410 YouTube channel. I have not fired them, but I am looking to change my carry ammo to either that or critical defense.

I've used the 147 grain Train and Defend and find the recoil to be fairly soft. I think the difference is that the larger grain bullets travel at a slightly slower speed so the recoil is more like a "push" rather than a "jerk". I like the way it shoots and have found a self defense round that has the same ballistics.
USCG Retired
bobbylee666

Postby punisher83 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:06 pm

bobbylee666 wrote:
punisher83 wrote:Winchester makes a train and defend round where the recoil, ballistics, and shape match. It's made for short barrels and designed for less recoil. Check it out on shooting the bull 410 YouTube channel. I have not fired them, but I am looking to change my carry ammo to either that or critical defense.

I've used the 147 grain Train and Defend and find the recoil to be fairly soft. I think the difference is that the larger grain bullets travel at a slightly slower speed so the recoil is more like a "push" rather than a "jerk". I like the way it shoots and have found a self defense round that has the same ballistics.

Well, I still haven't found it yet, but I currently use the Fiocchi extrema xtp 115gr. So far so good. Haven't found many reviews on this round, but it's the same xtp Hornady uses. Still think I'd rather a heavier round. 124gr would be nice. I'd even be willing to go with 147gr. 9mm isn't very known for under penetration at any weight.
punisher83
Forum Regular

Postby lamarw » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:55 pm

I can appreciate the situation. First the most important point is a heavy firearm will handle a round with less recoil and snap than a lighter firearm. Do not attack the problem from the round of ammunition view point but rather from the weight of the firearm prospect. Let the shooter familiarized themselves with a heavier full size firearm with a "as an example" 9mm load. There will be significantly less recoil. Then let them familiarized themselves with it and enjoying firing a lot of range time. Then If you want to move to a smaller firearm in the same caliber, the newbie shooter will be less uneasesy from he same round out of a slightly lighter firearm. Sort of like I have done this before and can do it again. Loss of the fear factor. Work at it slowly. It is kind of a mind of matter endeavor. If it does not hurt with a full size gun then I am not afraid to shoot it out of a compact and then later on out of a subcompact.

My Spouse is very competitive. She agreed to take on duck hunting with me. Not for the weak of spirit or a beginning hunter. There is the cold, the wet, the early morning, and the shotguns. I got her a nice Browning semi-auto 20 Gauge and let her shoot boxes of ammo out of it at clay birds. She got pretty good. The first duck hunt, She had her Browning and I had my Winchester pump 12 gauge with some pretty heavy handloads for duck and gueese hunting. They came in, I knocked three out of the shy she had zero takes. Next group came in and she had taken my gun away and got a duck and a later a gueese. I was relegated to the sissy 20 gauge Bowing.
lamarw
Seasoned Member

Postby economod » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:10 am

lamarw ... I had a 12ga Winchester 1200 with Win-choke tubes. It was a canon!
2016 SCCY WOOD SHIMS > viewtopic.php?p=50025#p50025
9mm AMMO LENGTH > viewtopic.php?p=48248#p48248
CPX2 DESTROYED > viewtopic.php?p=51413#p51413
economod
Veteran Member

Postby foolzrushn » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:06 pm

A .32 cal in a metal gun has hardly any recoil. I let a friend's wife shoot mine and she loved it. The ammo is harder to find though.

lamarw--Well, I guess I'm a sissy. I have a full choke .410. But I used to show the 12 ga boys that it would reach just as far, and when we had duck, I ate a lot less lead! :D
foolzrushn

Postby Mr_Flintstone » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:17 am

I know this is an old thread, but here goes.

I personally haven't tried this, but... On another forum I belong to, some people were loading 90 grain bullets with a powder load just above .380. I don't know how it would cycle through the SCCY, but a lighter recoil spring would help with that. If you don't reload, you might be able to find someone close by that will make you up a box and try it out.
Mr_Flintstone

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:22 pm

Given how far Sccy tosses the empties and the fact that the next bullet pushes up the previous case I imagine very light loads would fire in it. I would think the buckshot rounds I had are proof of that concept because they hardly had any recoil at all.
mkiker2089
Seasoned Member

Postby getvicious » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:58 am

mkiker2089 wrote:Given how far Sccy tosses the empties and the fact that the next bullet pushes up the previous case I imagine very light loads would fire in it. I would think the buckshot rounds I had are proof of that concept because they hardly had any recoil at all.

My small kid’s AR-24K throws brass a lot like my CPX. Yesterday I was standing 5 feet to his right and just behind him. The first 3 cases came close to me, the 2nd one was right to me and I caught it in the air. The remaining cases went in a 90 degree arc from as far back as me to almost straight out in front of him. They all were thrown between 15 and 20 feet from him.

How did the “buckshot rounds” cycle in your pistol? I’ve used the smaller snake shot “buckshot rounds” in my JA22. They fire fine but don’t cycle the pistol properly and tend to FTE.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:47 pm

getvicious wrote:
How did the “buckshot rounds” cycle in your pistol? I’ve used the smaller snake shot “buckshot rounds” in my JA22. They fire fine but don’t cycle the pistol properly and tend to FTE.

Just fine. I did a mixed magazine with some steel, some reloads, and some buckshot. All ten went fine and the only way I knew when the buckshot fired was from the spread pattern appearing on the target.

Actually, at 10 feet the buckshot covered the target quite well. I don't know if it had any penetration power but on paper targets it looks great.
mkiker2089
Seasoned Member

Postby DoctorThomas » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:17 pm

I have the CPX-2 and bought the Hornady Critical Defense Lite, 100gr FTX rounds but have not fired any as of yet.
Anyone know how will perform and are there any issues because they are nickel plated and the manual from SCCY
said do not use steel jacketed ammo. I don't know if they are steel or not?
DoctorThomas

Postby getvicious » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:56 pm

Hornady's nickel plated brass used on CD & CDL is not steel. The normal CD works really well in my CPX. It seems to work well for most (if not all) folks here too. Let us know what you think after you shoot a few.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby toymachine » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:08 am

mkiker2089 wrote:
getvicious wrote:

Just fine. I did a mixed magazine with some steel, some reloads, and some buckshot. All ten went fine and the only way I knew when the buckshot fired was from the spread pattern appearing on the target.

Actually, at 10 feet the buckshot covered the target quite well. I don't know if it had any penetration power but on paper targets it looks great.

If you can, shoot a disposable water bottle with it (wear safety glasses). I've shot a two liter soda bottle with 22lr snake shot, and most of it bounced back off, with a few trickles of water pointing out where it penetrated.
toymachine
Seasoned Member

Postby toymachine » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:25 pm

With the term "buckshot" being thrown around, I wanted to make sure no one was considering using these for SD without some level of testing first. Ballistics gellatin being somewhat expensive and difficult to procure, I recommended a budget alternative. Snakeshot is unlikely to produce good results, though I've seen rounds loaded with larger sizes of shot that may produce better results.
toymachine
Seasoned Member

Postby wrench459 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:57 pm

Try Ruger +p ARX 80gr/1445fps 371ft.lbs.
I'm really liking this ammo for carry.

Another round that got my attention
is "Independence HP"
Made in "Israel" imported by F/C.
Cheap hollow point that I might odd stack with the ARX's.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Previous

Return to Ammunition