budget ammo

Forum for comments and questions regarding all ammunition types.

budget ammo

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:38 pm

So who has experience with "budget" ammo?

So far I've used Military Ballistic which is usually reloaded Hornady and Monarch both in brass and coated steel. The Sccy used them all just fine.

Military Ballistic is about the cheapest out there and the best for your money in my opinion but I still want to try Brown Bear just for curiosity.
mkiker2089
Seasoned Member

mkiker...

Postby foolzrushn » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:40 pm

You didn't say much about the ammo. What is the case made of....brass, aluminum??

How much did you pay for how many rounds?

Where do you get it?

About the cheapest budget ammo I have seen has been Perfecta. I believe it is made in Italy, distributed by Tula ammo and sold at Walmart. It has a 115gr full metal brass jacket, a brass case and non-corrosive boxer style primer. The brass jacket seems to be about the same hardness as the case. It comes with a hard plastic inner retainer that would be handy for reloaders. I have been paying less than $10 for a box of 50 when it is available.

I have not noticed any difference in performance compared to Winchester white box or some other ammo, but I do think that a brass jacket will cause more wear than copper or obviously un-jacketed lead.

There has also been aluminum case ammo at Walmart for a little less, but I have been saving brass.
foolzrushn

Re: budget ammo

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:29 pm

Military Ballistics is reloaded Hornady brass ammo taken from training ranges and resold in bulk. I get it from Lucky Gunner. Some love it and some hate it. It seems to smoke a lot but seems fine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
mkiker2089
Seasoned Member

mkiker

Postby foolzrushn » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:20 am

Well the Hornady brass should be good. Guess you don't know whether you will get brass or steel? Or are they mixed in each box? I can go to Lucky Gunner and figure price with shipping to compare.

I'll search for Brown Bear. Sounds Russian. Are these both copper plated bullets? You didn't say.

Also, it might be interesting to keep a few Winchester white box or some other commonly found round handy, to compare the recoil with. I compare by alternately loading different rounds in the magazine so that I can compare recoil, smoke, feed or any thing else I notice. I don't have a cronograph to check velocity.
foolzrushn

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:00 pm

So far all the MB is brass but a few are nickel plated brass.

Brown Bear, I'm not sure. I assume it's a coated steel. I haven't ordered any brown bear. I'm currently waiting on a promotion from TheFiringline before ordering more ammo. http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567843

Prices vary due to sales but usually Brown Bear and MB are around 20 cents a round. Lucky Gunner charges for shipping however so I only order in bulk. 6 months of ammo ideally.

I have no idea what the promo will be and I've never ordered from MassAmmo but I figure we might as well check out the coupon.
mkiker2089
Seasoned Member

Postby wrench459 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:43 pm

I went down to the local gun shop today and started a good conversation with the counter guy.
I wanted a knock-off .223 semi rifle other than the mini-14,AR or AK based.

Some how we started to chat about reloads.
This site might be of interest http://kineticammo.com/
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby yogi3 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:19 pm

most to the 1000 rounds thru my sccy have been perfecta-----I did not know it bullet was brass cased, I thought that was just the casing that held the gun powder------brass cased bullets I seen are for self defense, remy htp hp-----one think I noticed was that the last few boxes that I recently purchased seemed hotter, more of a kick than the earlier cases I purchased--------since you have mentioned it, I do recall the similar color of the actual bullet, and the casing,-----so you are probably right-------halfway thru the last few boxes of perfecta, I noticed the front pin on the sccy moved out about a millimeter, pushed it back in with a key, and finished the boxes-------I assumed that was because of the hotter bullet-----as compared to remy 115gr fmj, fed 115gr fmj-alum cased--------I did read somewhere that the perfecta 9mm 115gr fmj was manufactured by fiocchi-----they were 10 cents a box, 50 rds, less than the alum cased federal, which I had a slight problem with extraction, and a few rounds needing a second trigger pull to fire,-----the first 600 perfecta rounds were just fine------
yogi3

Return to Ammunition