hollow points

Forum for comments and questions regarding all ammunition types.

Re: hollow points

Postby FloridaPilot » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:55 pm

parkerd wrote:"My two pistols are a Colt .38 Detective Special and a SCCY. I'm quite farmiliar with revolvers, having also held in trust an H&K from my grandfathers estate for my younger brother."

I remember a few days ago you posted you purchased your first pistol? You really didn't want a gun, but mom and dad insisted. So congrats on how you have become an expert in so short a time.

Thank you. Yes, the SCCY is the first pistol I have personally purchased, and yes prior to Sunday the Colt .38 did not reside in my person. This does not mean that I've never fired nor researched the weapon.
FloridaPilot
Forum Regular

Postby strider43 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:17 am

FloridaPilot wrote:I'm not sure how the length of a barrel matters. Expansion is the dispersion of energy through the core of the bullet outward at the moment of impact with a target. If the round fails to expand, it would mean that there isn't enough kinetic energy to make the round do so. If that were the case, it would also mean that the round is not meeting the advertised speeds by the manufacturer.
While this is most commonly the case in compact pistols, they don't tend to differ with enough variance to prohibit the expansion of a hollow point. Lead is an exceptionally soft metal, so I find it hard to believe that a core I can sizably damage with one strike of a hammer wouldn't have the energy capacity upon impact to expand outward...

Either way, what's basically been said is that there's no point in ever carrying a compact firearm, and decades of 2" revolver experience is mute...

its the longer time with all of the energy behind the slug pushing it down the riffled barrel creates more velocity.
strider43
Forum Regular

Postby strider43 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:22 am

FloridaPilot wrote:I'm not sure how the length of a barrel matters. Expansion is the dispersion of energy through the core of the bullet outward at the moment of impact with a target. If the round fails to expand, it would mean that there isn't enough kinetic energy to make the round do so. If that were the case, it would also mean that the round is not meeting the advertised speeds by the manufacturer.
While this is most commonly the case in compact pistols, they don't tend to differ with enough variance to prohibit the expansion of a hollow point. Lead is an exceptionally soft metal, so I find it hard to believe that a core I can sizably damage with one strike of a hammer wouldn't have the energy capacity upon impact to expand outward...

Either way, what's basically been said is that there's no point in ever carrying a compact firearm, and decades of 2" revolver experience is mute...

its not that carrying small barrel pistols is pointless, you just wont get the full benefit of good expanding ammo. You can still put a hole in someone, just not as big.
I shot 1 round of 147 grn XTP loaded by Freedom Munitions from my sccy into a one gallon jug full of water the other day and the slug expanded fairly well. The exit wound was a lot bigger than the entrance wound.
strider43
Forum Regular

Postby wrench459 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:52 pm

shooting the bull 410 has a series of short barrel (3.0 inch) tests.
Ammo quest..

As far as I know
gold dot 124g
federal 124g HST are running neck in neck :-)
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby Merc6 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:32 pm

wrench459 wrote:shooting the bull 410 has a series of short barrel (3.0 inch) tests.
Ammo quest..

As far as I know
gold dot 124g

HST? Is that the newer version of Hydrashock?
SCCY CPX-2 CB SOLD
SW1911SC E Series 2- Tone .45 Auto
Glock 17 Gen 3
PF940 V1.5
Remington 870 Express
Merc6
Seasoned Member

Postby Robin L Studdard » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:03 am

I have good luck with Remington UMC 9mm 115gr. JHP in my SCCY Gen-2. They seem to feed really well. They are a little more rounded than other Hollow Points.
Robin L Studdard

Postby Merc6 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:23 am

Merc6 wrote:
wrench459 wrote:shooting the bull 410 has a series of short barrel (3.0 inch) tests.
Ammo quest..

As far as I know
gold dot 124g

HST? Is that the newer version of Hydrashock?

Yeah, found out what they were and got a set for my CPX-2 the other day. Couldn't find it in .45 anywhere.
SCCY CPX-2 CB SOLD
SW1911SC E Series 2- Tone .45 Auto
Glock 17 Gen 3
PF940 V1.5
Remington 870 Express
Merc6
Seasoned Member

Postby bubbinator » Wed May 10, 2017 1:17 am

Bought my CPX1 for my wife but she had trouble working the slide so I inherited it. She took my S&W 642 w/ Crimson Trace laser grips loaded with Buffalo Bore 158 LSWCHP Gas Check +Ps @ +/- 1000FPS. I love her and strive to continue :D . Having loaded 9mm since the 1970s and 2 LEO careers, I have a very wide assortment of ammo on hand. I never liked 147gr. 9mm's reputation so don't have any. But from 90 gr. to 135gr. I had a bit to test a few. So far none have failed to feed, fire or extract, in mixed loadings from 4 magazines. In deference to the Sccy Manual I don't shoot +P often. Carry load is Federal HSC 124 JHP I get @ $24.00/50 from local LEO Supply. My respringed Browning HP runs well with 127+P+ Win Ranger LEO ammo, but I don't want to abuse the Sccy. Out of the box it was holding center left at 10 yds but the lateral sight correction was easy and quick.
bubbinator

Postby fla-gypsy » Thu May 11, 2017 7:12 pm

I've shot 3 different brands through my mine. Unlike those who have no communication skills I was able to get my initial issues resolved quickly and found Sccy a great company to deal with.
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
fla-gypsy
Forum Regular

Postby wrench459 » Thu May 11, 2017 8:31 pm

According to lucky gunner
The micro HST's aint bad.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Previous

Return to Ammunition